It's time to say THANKS! Are you a devoted NS/HT Member? If so click here for something special

costco tyres 

18 replies to this topic

#1 chris convertible

• Car:S13 Convertible

Posted 22 July 2011 - 09:48 PM

Hi,

I went to Costco's openning with my wife and while she looking at boring Frozen food etc I went and looked at the tyres. They only sell Michelin and Bridgestone but seemed to have a pretty big range. For the price of the tyres you get fitting and balancing but no wheel alignment. If you buy 4 tyres you also get free rotations every 10,000km for the life of the tyres. I think the guy also said free puncture repairs for the life of the tyres.

Two interesting things are,

1, they fill the tyres with I think Helium. So is there much advantage in that?

2, If you buy only two tyres instead of putting the new ones on the front like everywhere else in Canberra does they put them on the back. The guy said as an American company they do things the American way and Americans put new tyres on the back to try prevent oversteer on wet and icy roads. Might work well on Silvias with RWD. Any thoughts on that?

I guess the lack of wheel alignment doesn't worry me as I can always go to Chris at Inline and get a good alignment anyway.

Chris

#2 wal32r

• Car:R32 GTST

Posted 23 July 2011 - 11:11 AM

If they put the new tyres on the back of all the cars, canberra roundabouts will be littered with FWDs when it rains. Thats just stupid.

Buy your nappies and toilet paper from costco. Not your car parts

#3 darkone

• Car:Silvia

Posted 23 July 2011 - 12:06 PM

Better/newer tyres should always go on the front

#4 AA553

Posted 23 July 2011 - 01:10 PM

I guess helium would be ideal because it is lighter than air. But they should be really filling them with nitrogen as air expands and moves around too much. Nissan GTR is one of those cars that follows that theory.

#5 chris convertible

Posted 23 July 2011 - 02:50 PM

Maybe he did say Nitrogen. All I really remember is he said it helps keep the tyre cooler. I had heard of using something other than air at other places but there was a cost for it so was interested that it is included in the price of the tyres at Costco.

But I was mainly surprised at the new tyres at the back policy.

#6 A31Cefiro

Because I'm suave its ok for me to act like a prick

• Classifieds Items
  • 7,863 posts
  • Car:A31 Cefiro

Posted 23 July 2011 - 04:14 PM

Rallye, on 23 July 2011 - 01:10 PM, said:

I guess helium would be ideal because it is lighter than air. But they should be really filling them with nitrogen as air expands and moves around too much. Nissan GTR is one of those cars that follows that theory.

The average bloke behind the wheel isn't going to notice the difference between air and nitrogen when they head down to the local shops for milk and bread. The average daily commute to work and and a bit of spirited driving now and then hardly requires a different gas to be used in your tyres.

Nissan GTR is also a high performance car, a $10K S13 is not, regardless of the tyres Costco put on it.

#7 K.O.S!

• Car:PS13, B4, Liberty

Posted 23 July 2011 - 05:26 PM

I didnt have a close look at the tyres today, how were they? I need some 15s, and you can usually get perillis for 95 in 205s.

#8 chris convertible

Posted 23 July 2011 - 06:59 PM

The tyres looked OK to me. They had Bridgestone Pontessas in my size 205/45R16 for $187, not that I need any yet.

When I got my car it had Goodyear Eagle F1's on it, the back ones were nearly worn so I replaced those with some new ones of the same with the new going to the front. Then when those wore out I went back to Discount tyres who informed me that goodyear had really jacked the price up from about $200 a tyre to $350 so maybe I want to try Sava Intensias instead for $155 each. They said seeing I drive sensibly I will not notice a big difference. Well with those on the front the car slid out in the rain on corners and aquaplaned terribly. So I got them put on the back and found that even going slowly around roundabouts the car would slide out so I went back and luckily goodyear had dropped the price back to a bit over $200 so I ended up with Goodyear Eagle F1's again.

I know my car is not high performance but there is no way I am using Sava's ever again, my car and life are worth more than putting tyres that slide out at 10kph when driving carefully.

I will probably just keep going to Discount Tyres (well Goodyear Tyres now) and try buy Eagle F1's, however I had heard rumours they had been discountinued, for some reason. What I liked about Costco is that I expect Bridgestone and Michelin are both good tyres and as they sell nothing else I am unlikely to buy something else like the terrible Sava's I got stuck with based on a recommendation that was obviously wrong.

#9 the_moose

• Car:S13

Posted 24 July 2011 - 10:59 AM

A31Cefiro, on 23 July 2011 - 04:14 PM, said:

Rallye, on 23 July 2011 - 01:10 PM, said:

The average bloke behind the wheel isn't going to notice the difference between air and nitrogen when they head down to the local shops for milk and bread. The average daily commute to work and and a bit of spirited driving now and then hardly requires a different gas to be used in your tyres.

Nissan GTR is also a high performance car, a $10K S13 is not, regardless of the tyres Costco put on it.

Okay just to clarify, Firstly pretty damn sure that it wont be helium as helium is very expensive compared to nitrogen. Secondly the weight difference would be 3 5ths of F@*k all difference.

The reason why some people people filled tyers with nitrogen is that it expands less with heat compared to air (pressure doesn't change as much as tyers warms up) therefore it is easier to have your tyers at optimum pressure. Because they claim the air pressure is more stable you can get better tyer life. Having a less happy right foot will have more effect on tyer wear.

Totally agree with A31Cefiro that for an everyday commuter it is a total waste of money.

As for COSTCO, If you can get tyers there cheap I say why not. I always put my best tyers on the front, prefer to be able to steer rather that the back step out.

#10 Stinkypoo

Posted 24 July 2011 - 12:32 PM

Lol.

I'll ask the tyre manager next time I see him about their fitment policy. I'm pretty sure if you asked them, they will put them on for you the way you requested.

I'm planning to try Costco out for some tyres soon.

I have only had bad experiences with Discount tyres/Goodyear. Go to Quickfit, they have treated me well before I started fitting tyres myself.

My advice is to use the same tyres all round the car.

#11 chris convertible

Posted 24 July 2011 - 01:01 PM

the_moose, on 24 July 2011 - 10:59 AM, said:

The reason why some people people filled tyers with nitrogen is that it expands less with heat compared to air (pressure doesn't change as much as tyers warms up) therefore it is easier to have your tyers at optimum pressure. Because they claim the air pressure is more stable you can get better tyer life. Having a less happy right foot will have more effect on tyer wear.

Totally agree with A31Cefiro that for an everyday commuter it is a total waste of money.

As for COSTCO, If you can get tyers there cheap I say why not. I always put my best tyers on the front, prefer to be able to steer rather that the back step out.

He said that due to more constant presures and temperatures you get longer life, however it is only minimal so don't expect moe than 1000 or so morekm's from a set. That seems to agree pretty much with the Moose.

Stinkypoo, on 24 July 2011 - 12:32 PM, said:

before I started fitting tyres myself.

Do you fit them at home or work at a tyre place? Assuming someone bought a deal like this how much would it cost to get them fitted?

Cheers
Chris

#12 hipcrostino

• Car:94' 200SX

Posted 24 July 2011 - 04:11 PM

I just want to know if they have cheap tyres I can through on some rims for motokhanas and drifting

#13 tsurikawa.

• Car:Sileighty

Posted 24 July 2011 - 06:18 PM

I know a few people who would be interested in Bridgestone RE001's if they sell them.

#14 Stinkypoo

Posted 30 July 2011 - 01:24 PM

chris convertible, on 24 July 2011 - 01:01 PM, said:

Stinkypoo, on 24 July 2011 - 12:32 PM, said:

before I started fitting tyres myself.

Do you fit them at home or work at a tyre place? Assuming someone bought a deal like this how much would it cost to get them fitted?

Cheers
Chris

I fit them at a mates place. I only fit my own to save money, I don't have time to fit tyres for other people.

The particular machine I use is worth $5000. You can get cheaper ones second hand for under $1000 and new ones from ebay for around $1500. Looking at this discussion, I don't think you go through as many tyres as me so it isn't worth it.

If you really want to get cheap fitting, get to know some tyres shops. People that work there are car people so your bound to bump into someone working at a shop in one of the clubs/forums.

#15 chris convertible

Posted 30 July 2011 - 08:38 PM

Thanks for the info. Yes you're right I don't go though many tyres so it is not really worth it. I actually spend more on pushbike tyres overall, they might be cheaper but don't last me very long.

Ad you're also right that it is nice to have the same tyres all the way around. My car certainly feels more balanced with the same tyres front and rear.

#16 Nigel-180SX

• Car:180 SX

Posted 10 February 2012 - 08:49 AM

If I bought two new tyres and the shop put them on the back of my car I would give them an uppercut! :wtf1:

I've found that Costco is really good for getting name-brand stuff cheap, but I wouldn't trust their no-name stuff. If you're in the market for Michelins or Bridgestones Costco is probably a good option.

#17 Humpty Dumpty

• Car:Wide Body 180sx

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:50 AM

I am pretty sure they dont even wheel align or balance them which isnt really a good thing... I would prob buy the tyres and get them fitted elsewhere

#18 tsurikawa.

• Car:Sileighty

Posted 10 February 2012 - 12:31 PM

They do balance them, no alignments though. Still better of buying tyres online though.

#19 Fists

• Car:Datsun - 120Y

Posted 10 February 2012 - 03:34 PM

chris convertible, on 23 July 2011 - 06:59 PM, said:

[...]

I know my car is not high performance but there is no way I am using Sava's ever again, my car and life are worth more than putting tyres that slide out at 10kph when driving carefully.

[..]

looking at my grandma's car today I would second that, one flat and one with a bulge in the sidewall plus another is already replaced with a firelli. They still have masses of tread too so haven't seen much use.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Common Links

• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • User Agreement
  • Help & Support Forums
  • Advertise
  •  

By your continued use of this site, you agree to follow all Rules & Guidelines and abide by the User Agreement outlined in our Terms & Conditions.

Hardtuned Network is hosted by Sanity Technology

Design, Site Management & Hotness provided by Loz.

Big thanks to all our members and volunteers for making this network what it is today!