It's time to say THANKS! Are you a devoted NS/HT Member? If so click here for something special

S15 instrument cluster help 

40 replies to this topic

#1 freestylerfalcon

• Car:S15 Silvia spec-R

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:37 AM

Hello NS.

I've got a problem with my instrument cluster, mainly that its fkn dark as.

i pulled it out recently and changed all the relevent globes, which helped abit cuz a few of them were blown.

but its still really really dark.

i now suspect that the dimmer is broken and stuck on a dark setting.

is it the lil twisty knob on the left that is the dimmer? mine spins but does nothing. (the one on the right is to change the clock).

anyone got any tips regarding fixing/changing it before i start pulling it apart??

Also, has anyone tried scratching off the orange tint? how did you go?

cheers.

#2 rusty1

• Car:nissan 200sx S15

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:12 AM

Its actually the little wheel to the right of your steering column on the silver part of the dash.

#3 pmod

• Car:180sx, 4G Prelude

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:54 AM

The dimmer is the same (as far as I've been able to tell) as the one on the early 90's Maxima. Could be a cheap replacement, just test it if you can before buying.

Attached Image: ds1522.jpg

Attached Image: DS1522_FRONT.jpg

#4 freestylerfalcon

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:27 PM

View Postrusty1, on 18 April 2012 - 11:12 AM, said:

Its actually the little wheel to the right of your steering column on the silver part of the dash.

weird my car has nothing there..

maybe an adm vs jdm thing?

#5 Suspop

• Car:S15 / Megane RS 250

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:42 PM

Yes, you may not have it. I don't have it.

Mine is dark too. I was gonna change to stock globes to help it, but you just confirmed what that might not work.

I'm considering installing a circuit that will forcefully amp up the power hence light.
Not sure how, but It's a thought.

Considered LEDs, but after getting a set off eBay, they just pissed me off and where all spotty.

#6 pmod

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:40 AM

View Postfreestylerfalcon, on 18 April 2012 - 10:27 PM, said:

weird my car has nothing there..

maybe an adm vs jdm thing?

Most likely; I gather it's a requirement for cars sold here. My S15 dash was ADM and came with it.

View PostSuspop, on 18 April 2012 - 10:42 PM, said:

I'm considering installing a circuit that will forcefully amp up the power hence light.

Sus - what about simply running a relay linked to accessories or a direct (fused) line from the battery? Assuming your bulbs are new 3w units and all the contacts are clean, the issue is likely to be too much resitance on the lillumination line. You shouldn't have to hook up a transformer and raise voltage above 12v.
Install a 12v power recifier prior to the relay to should you experience fluctuations in the light output due to the alternator.

Pic to avoid dodgy explanations. Bear in mind I haven't had to try this with my cluster, but my main loom is S13 anyway:
Attached Image: s15 cluster-001.jpg

Edited by pmod, 19 April 2012 - 11:29 AM.

#7 Croutonz

• Car:Nissan 200sx s15

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:38 PM

Maybe look into getting EL Dials if you can find them? Easy to order from Japan if you have a JDM cluster. Aus spec are a bit harder to find. But they are by far one of the best investments I've made :)

#8 freestylerfalcon

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:42 PM

so the jdm s15 may not even have a dimmer??

wtf..

can anyone confirm that?

View PostCroutonz, on 19 April 2012 - 02:38 PM, said:

Maybe look into getting EL Dials if you can find them? Easy to order from Japan if you have a JDM cluster. Aus spec are a bit harder to find. But they are by far one of the best investments I've made :)

where did you order yours from and what price? easy to install? pics?

#9 Barbie princess

• Car:180sx

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:49 PM

i thought when the car was complied it needed to be installed?

#10 audslz

• Car:JDM s15 spec R

Posted 19 April 2012 - 05:16 PM

i thought the switch to the right of the steering coloum (JDM S15) changed the angle of the head lights? It looks completely different to the picture above ^^ either way the switch doesnt work :S?

#11 rusty1

Posted 19 April 2012 - 05:52 PM

My ADM has one and I would assume all ADM S15's do. Would have something to do with ADR's back at the time. Guess thats why we got gay reflectors in the rear bar, no pillar boost guage and parking lights in the front headlight housing..

Maybe you could retro fit a dimmer control from an ADM model

#12 Croutonz

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:14 PM

Attached Image: photo.JPG

These are the EL Dials (sorry for the poor quality - only one I have on my phone...). Easy to install. Didn't take very long at all. Hardest part is getting the cluster out but beyond that it takes no effort.

The AUS models I have NO IDEA where to purchase. They used to be sold when the S15 first came out but no one stocks them anymore. A set came with my car that I never installed and sold. Then I saw them installed and realized how great they were and then spent the next 6 months trolling ebay and looking everywhere for them. I finally found a set. There's one more ADM model on eBay there if anyone wants to look it up. The guy reposts it for sale every other week as no buyer yet.

If you have a JDM cluster (which you do) then just go on yahoo japan auctions and get streeter to organize shipping it to you :).

#13 audslz

• Car:JDM s15 spec R

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:27 PM

View PostCroutonz, on 19 April 2012 - 06:14 PM, said:

Attachment photo.JPG

These are the EL Dials (sorry for the poor quality - only one I have on my phone...). Easy to install. Didn't take very long at all. Hardest part is getting the cluster out but beyond that it takes no effort.

The AUS models I have NO IDEA where to purchase. They used to be sold when the S15 first came out but no one stocks them anymore. A set came with my car that I never installed and sold. Then I saw them installed and realized how great they were and then spent the next 6 months trolling ebay and looking everywhere for them. I finally found a set. There's one more ADM model on eBay there if anyone wants to look it up. The guy reposts it for sale every other week as no buyer yet.

If you have a JDM cluster (which you do) then just go on yahoo japan auctions and get streeter to organize shipping it to you :).

is it true that if the odometer light has blown the taco has been turned back? a friend of a friend told me this once didnt take my notice of it. Mine does need replacing?

#14 MI55EE

• Car:S15

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:47 PM

Those dials look sick, I hate orange! Are they orange globes in a S15 or orange dials? I want out of orange :| everything else in my car is white & blue

#15 P41NU5

• Car:s15

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:01 PM

yes i hate my orange too!! my adm 200 has dim instruments too, even when turned right up, using the dimmer on the right hand side :P

#16 freestylerfalcon

Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:02 AM

View PostMIS5Y, on 19 April 2012 - 06:47 PM, said:

Those dials look sick, I hate orange! Are they orange globes in a S15 or orange dials? I want out of orange :| everything else in my car is white & blue

the dials are orange.

apparently you can scrape it off if youre careful.. might give it a go.

View Postaudslz, on 19 April 2012 - 06:27 PM, said:

View PostCroutonz, on 19 April 2012 - 06:14 PM, said:

Attachment photo.JPG

is it true that if the odometer light has blown the taco has been turned back? a friend of a friend told me this once didnt take my notice of it. Mine does need replacing?

its just a bulb at the back, when they get old they blow.

#17 pmod

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:24 AM

View PostMIS5Y, on 19 April 2012 - 06:47 PM, said:

Orange dials.

Attached Image: Icons.jpg

I had those EL dials on my 180 a long time ago. They look cool, but the center circles are stupidly bright. No idea wtf they were thinking when they made them that way.
Best mod would be to sever contact and turn that piece off.
They do however come with a dimming module, for those of you who like adjustability.

Edited by pmod, 20 April 2012 - 11:25 AM.

#18 MI55EE

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:43 AM

yeah looking at the picture, looks like even with my tint that is stupidly dark, you would still see my face lighting up... haha

i think ill keep the orange, looks like alot of work to get around it...

#19 Stig Mick

• Car:shit box

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:27 PM

Some of my JDM cars did have the dimmer some didn't depends how dodgy the workshop is that does the compliance,

My adm s15 obviously has it stock but even so I find the orange dash lights a bit dim

#20 MI55EE

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:34 PM

View PostStig Mick, on 20 April 2012 - 02:27 PM, said:

Some of my JDM cars did have the dimmer some didn't depends how dodgy the workshop is that does the compliance,

My adm s15 obviously has it stock but even so I find the orange dash lights a bit dim

yeah same with mine, they aren't really that useful until its pitch black...

#21 rusty1

Posted 20 April 2012 - 06:28 PM

I didnt like my stock one, replaced it with one of these. :D

Posted Image

Edited by rusty1, 22 April 2012 - 04:27 PM.

#22 Suspop

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:23 AM

View Postpmod, on 19 April 2012 - 10:40 AM, said:

View PostSuspop, on 18 April 2012 - 10:42 PM, said:

Sus - what about simply running a relay linked to accessories or a direct (fused) line from the battery? Assuming your bulbs are new 3w units and all the contacts are clean, the issue is likely to be too much resitance on the lillumination line. You shouldn't have to hook up a transformer and raise voltage above 12v.
Install a 12v power recifier prior to the relay to should you experience fluctuations in the light output due to the alternator.

Pic to avoid dodgy explanations. Bear in mind I haven't had to try this with my cluster, but my main loom is S13 anyway:
Attached Image: s15 cluster-001.jpg
Yes option2, I kind of have too many acc wires. Getting messy...
As if so many complaints of shit LED spread and they haven't made a one that's got factory spread but just brighter.
No fancy colors or finishes, just normal - but brighter. Such a common problem.

#23 Fillo

• Car:Autech S15

Posted 21 April 2012 - 02:19 PM

el dials looks sick! im disapointed i didnt get them now, thats the first picture ive seen of them in real life. to be different i changed mine to red LEDs with 360 degree lighting it works pretty well but its still dull in the afternoons.and JDM S15's dont come with a brightness wheel.

#24 vinnie15R

• Car:S15 Spec R JDM

Posted 21 April 2012 - 05:42 PM

not sure if i'd pay $300 for the EL dials, do look cool tho

http://www.spoilersh...&productId=1475

#25 Croutonz

Posted 22 April 2012 - 07:41 PM

Nice and cheap on import monster - http://www.importmon...t=0&term=S15+el

There's versions without the inner circle as well. I don't find the middle too bright at all - possibly because I run mine on a very low setting haha. I believe it's bright in the middle to help illuminate the dial needle. But there are alternatives for those running Jdm gauges such as the black face ones on yahoo Japan. keep in mind for those of you looking that the style posted is reverse glow/indiglo style - these faces only highlight the numbers. Most el dials light up the whole face such as those posted above - I find them a bit too bright for my likings =]

#26 bae51c

• Car:Nissan S15, Spec S, ADM.

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:01 PM

View PostCroutonz, on 22 April 2012 - 07:41 PM, said:

Nice and cheap on import monster - http://www.importmon...t=0&term=S15+el

There's versions without the inner circle as well. I don't find the middle too bright at all - possibly because I run mine on a very low setting haha. I believe it's bright in the middle to help illuminate the dial needle. But there are alternatives for those running Jdm gauges such as the black face ones on yahoo Japan. keep in mind for those of you looking that the style posted is reverse glow/indiglo style - these faces only highlight the numbers. Most el dials light up the whole face such as those posted above - I find them a bit too bright for my likings =]

pity they only go up to 180km/hr....

#27 Suspop

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:36 PM

How often are you doing more then 180

#28 Croutonz

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:24 AM

View Postbae51c, on 23 April 2012 - 06:01 PM, said:

pity they only go up to 180km/hr....

That's why they're only good for JDM. JDM cluster is 180k, AUS spec is 260k. Reverse glow EL dials for AUS spec are quite hard to come across unfortunately...

#29 scott black

• Car:180sx w/ RB25

Posted 05 May 2012 - 06:27 PM

View PostFillo, on 21 April 2012 - 02:19 PM, said:

JDM S15's dont come with a brightness wheel.

yes, yet as stated above, its part of the compliance procedure to put them in to meet one of the adrs, i remember reading it in the old engineers report for my old r32 as well, there is alot of stuff thats ment to be done on compliance, yet alot of the time workshops skip doing them.
if its a personal import however (one of the ones where if you owned the car yourself for a year, yellow tag compliance) then its different and you can get away with a few more things

#30 7EVEN

• Car:S15 Spec R GT '02

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:22 AM

Does anyone know if there is a way to tap into the lighting system of the dash to increas the brightness byreplacing a resistor with a lower grade of resistor or something?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Common Links

• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • User Agreement
  • Help & Support Forums
  • Advertise
  •  

By your continued use of this site, you agree to follow all Rules & Guidelines and abide by the User Agreement outlined in our Terms & Conditions.

Hardtuned Network is hosted by Sanity Technology

Design, Site Management & Hotness provided by Loz.

Big thanks to all our members and volunteers for making this network what it is today!