Sign in to follow this  
Brad

Discussion 3 - Suspension & Coil-overs

Try justjap.com they have rear/front strut tower bars for the silvia/180sx $125 if i remember correctly.

sorry for asking such amateurish question but really need the advice.....the thing is that i like my stock spring and damper set up

good for road use

but i just want to lower the car by 1.5 inch to reduce body roll.....

what do u guys think of cutting the stock springs?

what do u guys think of cutting the stock springs?

One word, STUPID! If anything it will make it handling worse....dont be stupid, do it right the first time, do it proper...

The strut bars were fitted when I bought the car.  I'll have to double check the sticker on them.

Speaking of coilovers, have you checked out the Australian manufacturer  :

http://www.dmshocks.com/

Looks like these are serious motorsport shocks.  I'd imagine the price would be in the $3-5000 range, and that the ride may be quite stiff.  Check out the 60mm shocks at this site.

If you really want to go to town in the shock department, apparently the Penske shocks are better than anything, at $5000 dollars per shock, you'd want to hope so.

I have all this in front of me!

Whoever had my car last must have towed something heavy with it.Its got the heaviest and highest rear springs possible, the rear sway bar is thicker than the front and theres the heaviest tokicos i think you could buy.The front looks like its original 84 specs sagged a inch and a half.This car is dangerous!.No tyres, no matter how good can help with this kind of susp.It even still has the tow bar!

Any way can any one recommend some one in queensland for springs,preferably a japanese brand.Konis will be my choice of shock.

Cant use rear coil overs as it has seperate spring/shock like 1600's.

i got teins as well but one of them seems as though its gone.... im thinking it needs a recondition, can u guys recommend a place in sydney that can do it??

and for the tyres that were mentioned earlier what were the price differences?

what tyres do u all recommend?

I buy all my tyres second hand, at about $50 each maximum. With the rate they wear there is no way a $250 new tyres is going o outlast 5 second hand tyres for ($50).

So normally I just take what is available at the time with a decent amount of tread.

And before anyone calls me a hoon its the fronts that wear the fastest my about twice the speed.

Whiteline Rear Bar :

Yes, after I had a look with the weight of the car on the wheels, the rear bar lined up perfectly.  With the car on Jack Stands, it looks like the bar is slightly out of alignment.

massive_ovstr,

if you want to reduce body roll then upgrade your front and rear anti-roll bars

lower springs will only reduce body roll if they have a higher spring rate

springs with a higher rate will reduce one wheel bump effectiveness

I've had a set of Tein height adj. on for a little while now, and they are fantastic. Not too stiff, and handle superbly. They have helper springs also.

I know coilovers are supposed to make noise, but I'm getting some hideous LOUD squeaky noises from the back set. They are in good shape externally, no leaks or anything and they feel fantastic. I think it may be bushes or something, anybody have issues like this?

The rest of the suspension parts are all standard.

What kind of bushes are prone to making a lot of noise??

Thanks

Quacker it could be a bit of chassis flex.

I can get mine to sqeak when driven hard around very tight corners like hairpins. Hopefully a rear strut brace will fix the problem.

Damn it the car had a matching pair of Jap strut braces on it when it was imported but he removed them for his other car. Oh well.

If its making a speaking noise, get a can of crc or wd40 and spray the springs as they get dirt in them and cause noises.

i lower my car for 1.5" front&rear, the front looks ok but the rear is still too high, so what do u guys think should i lower the rear for 2" or 2.5"

while on the topic of suspensions and coilovers, can ne1 tell me what to check and replace? my rear suspension behind the driver side makes "clunking" noise iccassionally, which i was told is common on s13.  what do i need to check and replace (eg. bushes, shock mounts, etc).  is it easy to re-install suspension if i remove them? removing them seems easy but i'm not sure if it might be tricky to put htem back. help!  thanks.

Hi Guys

4 days ago I became the proud owner of one of the cleanest 180s I've ever seen. It's a 96 model and has Tein HA Coil Overs ( damper, camber and ride hight ) alround. Anyway, I wonder if someone can help me out a little with setting the car up so that it's neutral ( i dont want to drift :) )

Does anyone know of any sites that have a guide on setting up an S13? Or even better, could some of the guys who have had success setting their cars up possably shed some light for me?

One other question, I seem to be locking rear brakes way too easily and frequently, as in it doesn't take much more than a medium forced jab on the brake pedal for a rear to lock up. Over the next few days when I have some free time I'd like to try and get this sorted out. I had 2 ideas of what could help; 1) Making the front stiffer to slow the weight distribution to the front when the brake pedal is applied and/or 2) the car's ride hight is pretty damn low ( I think it's actually about 85-90mm off the road ) so the rear wheels are producing a lot of camber. While I'm unsure of the exact degree of camber, would I be right to assume raising the rear ride hight would lessen the amount of negative camber on the rear and thus allowing more contact area of the tyre and hopefully make it harder to lock the rear?

Of corse, if someone has any ideas that differ from mine, please dont be shy :)This is a great thread too by the way, very educational

Cheers

Adam

XS-18037852.4159143519

Yes the s13/180sx is notorious for having crazy camber at the rear when you lower it. I have had my toe in adjusted at the rear to combat that. My rear tyre fits under the guard so its pretty low.

I suggest you raise the car to 100mm off the ground so you dont get busted by the cops.

sr20det94 - I suggest you check the top nut that holds the dampener in (this comes loose and causes a knocking noise every now and then, i took my suspension off and had a guy rattle gun it down. cost nothing this fixed it)

I replaced the suspension myself when i got the coilovers, pretty easy took about 45mins to do all 4 wheels, you can remove the rear ones without even taking the wheel off!, but i suggest remove the rear wheels so you dont have to lay on your back and hold up the strut. If you are also doing it yourself, get a jack and put it under the strut, jack it up until the 2 bolts go through the holes in the car at the top, bolt these on, then get the bottom one on. easy

LMF - My car is dead flat, i lowered the front all the way. (have since raised it so its 100mm). Then i lowered the rear all the way down, looked awesome was about 65mm off the ground hehehe. but started to knock (stuts were out of efficiancy range (bottoming out))so i raised it up, its now level, just adjust it abit then put the wheels on and have a look, easy. Might need a wheel alignment after though

thanks xris, another question is i've got onlins shocks at the rear, bcoz its 2nd hand n it doesnt come with the key/knob to adjust the shocks, so i just wondering does anyone know where can i get the key/knob

thanks xris, i'll try what you said.  when i remove the suspension, is it worth replacing any bushes or anything that might as well do to save some effort.  at the moment, i'm still saving money to get a more decent coilovers.

i was lookin at gettin some coilovers. What sort of ballpark bound am i looking at ie the least i could SAFELY spend and the most. Probablly lookin at second hand. I was thinkin that $700 could get me some pretty decent coilovers?? any brands to go for??????

hi guys

i got a set of JIC adjustable castor (tension) rods for my S13

but when i installed them they pushed the castor of the front whels back.

is that suppose to happen..?

i have got it set on the lowest setting and it has still pushed my wheels back about 1.5 to 2 com!

the guy who put them in for me says that my car might have been hit in the front and the frame has been changed.. can this really happen?

could anything be installed that can counter that?

coz now i dont think i can put bigger wheels in

Eric

im thinking of getting some 17" rims but i dont want my car to look like a 4x4 with the silvias stock springs. i dont want stupid low just a bit lower is 1.5" low enough to notice? + do i have to change my shockies if i get new springs (i dont want to spend big bucks or have a harsh ride) any suggestions on springs/shocks i dont really want to spend over $800 !!!

I'm going to put low Lovells or Whitelines into my SX (with the stock shocks) pretty soon, will let you know how it goes.

if i were to buy coilovers from a wrecker and they were screwed, will a motorbike shop be able to fix them. Tein make coilovers for the GTI R and whiteline have a kit as well. Which one would perform better for road and track ie The works of the Whiteline kit vs Tein Coilovers. How often do coilovers fail ie servicing and maintence

whiteline are over priced. id go the tein, and it all depends on how much abuse the coilovers cop to how often they need servicing.

im getting some hotbits street/race coilovers in the next few days hopefully.

theyve got helper springs all round, height adjustable only, but the street race come pre-valved heavier and with shorter harder spring rates so theyre supposed to be a good damping level as is.

i got told by the guy in the suspension shop not to get them coz theyd be uncomfortable, but he also assured me theyre no way as hard as japanese stuff 'which is like just having steel rods'. ive been in a few such cars and it is pretty hard but i could live with it harshness wise, but not wheelspin everywhere/anti traction wise!

but yeh so ill see how these Hotbits are when i get them in. theyre $2300 supply only. or the cheaper Street Sport are 1800 supplied. (tho yeh the street race are harder, seem more substantial for the money :P)

but once i get em in ill update as to the ride etc =] (atm i got stock shocks/lowered pedders springs at the front, and bilstein s13 spring.shock combo at the rear, which is pretty stiff as is).

Sign in to follow this