Sign in to follow this  
F0RC3D

Stop blinkers from flickering really fast!

Hi guys, in my s14.5 process i thought with the new guards that i will get rid of the blinker and eventually buy the m3 style mirrors with the blinkers on them.

What do i need to do so when i'm only running 2 sets of blinkers each side to maintain the normal flash speed.

As i'm aware if one blinker is out in the circuit it flikers rapidly.

Thanks guys.

Just stick a globe in it and leave it on the inside of the panel. That way you dont have to worry about it.

^^ so simple..may aswell do that, then later on bring the wires up for the m3 lights ;)

-George

The indicator system works on circuit electrical resistance, which is why they flash quicker when there is a bulb out - becuase the resistance is less. The more bulbs, the higher the resistance. The higher the resistance, the slower the flash rate.

Probably the first option of leaving the bulbs connected but behind the guard, with or without the mirrors - becuase the M3 style mirrors would probably be LED's and not provide enough resistance to keep the timing at the right resistance for the flasher.

hope that makes sense.

a mad idea with this would be to mount the indicators underneath the car or at the bottom of the guard. so they light up the ground at night when u change lanes.

B)

or you can get a multimeter and find out the resistance of a normal globe and instead of placing a globe behind the gaurd, just use a resistor. these are like 20c from tandy, dick smith etc.

easy as!

or you can get a multimeter and find out the resistance of a normal globe and instead of placing a globe behind the gaurd, just use a resistor. these are like 20c from tandy, dick smith etc.

easy as!

If you have some electronic knewledge i would do what craig_S13 has said.

And resisters are only like 4-5 cents a pop ! lol

If your not so good with electronics, scroll halfway down this page http://www.superbrightleds.com/1157.htm

LOAD RESISTOR KITS are basicly the 5 cent resistor made to look nice!

ELECTRONIC LED FLASHER are an even easier solution to the problame!

what happenes if you put a globe behind the guard and it blows?

u have fast indicators till u take the guard off and change the bulb

Edited by rxweapon

You cant use the 5 cent resistors becuase they only support 1/4 (0.25) of a watt. the circuit will put more than that load on it and burn out the resistor instanlty with a bit of smoke and charring... not good...

thats why that web page suggests a load resistor - they are 50 watts.

if bulb behind the car goes out, you will have the fast blinkers.

get resistors same as a light globe.

when you get the LED ones , you may need to adjust it with different resistance.

rob

i actually like having my blinkers flick double speed - enusres people are awake cos they're liek wth oh shit hes changing lans i better not run into him lol

Get a different flasher can that is rated to the right wattage. If you look on the side of the flasher unit it will have a wattage rating just match that to the wattage you have.