Sign in to follow this  
92silviaq's

SUPERCHARGED SR20DE

hey people, after quite some time and consideration, i have decided to supercharge my s13 sr20de. i'm not interested in getting 200rwkw before anyone tells me to do a motor swap to a det. i'm interested in grunt straight off idle, and only more displacement or a supercharger can offer this.if i could get some honest opinions and feedback/recommendations on what gear(blower, injectors, ecu etc...) to use, and a workshop that could do it in SA. my budget is $3000. i want to do the project properly/safely as i cant afford to blow the motor. thanks boys and girls, haz :)

So are you thinking Vortec or somethin? Will be very different! Good to see

havn't decided exactly what at the moment. there are so many out there...thats why i'd like to get some thoughts on the matter. i'm thinking, if the budget allows it doing forged pistons too, and maybe a thicker metal headgasket...?any thoughts are welcome ppl!

I'm afraid i don't really know a great deal about what blowers are on the market except Vortec coz i was looking at putting one on my old 308. They're not exactly cheap though. I would be surprised if you got the blower done for much under 3k, let alone pistons and head gasket.

Have a look here though, good site.. Vortec

God i'd love to see a nice big Weiand 6-71 blower out the bonnet of a 180! DO IT!!!

here: Weiand

Check out that guy from WA who was drifting in the supercharged s13. I talked to him about it (like you, I want grunt straight away) and he was saying it was a b*tch to drift, because it didn't allow for smooth changes. I don't know whether or not you're interested in drift, but this guy's done it on a silvia, so he'd be worth chasing down.

yeah, i've heard about this car....d you know how i could get onto him? i dont give a toss about drifting apart from hanging the barstards back end out around roundabouts occasionally!!i do alot of hills driving where response and driveability are more important...has anyone else had experience in supercharging the de?cheers boys and girls

Sorry mate I have nothing of value to add in helping you with information but instead of saying nothing I will do what most ns members do and say it anyway.

Mate I "honestly" reckon your wasting your money. It will cost you more than 3 grand and in the end you will have a car that wont make much power, be a little more responsive than a SR20 with a small turbo, cost a fair bit to sort out and will probably be hard to sell.

But if that is what you want good luck to ya and hope it works out.

I looked into it. Was going to cost me way too much so just did a red-top SR20 conversion. It will cost way over $3000 to supercharge your sr.

Sorry to break it to you but you are wasting your time and money.

Judgin from your first post where you say you want grunt off idle and want to get a Vortech youre probly not aware of differnet types of superchargers.

"Instant Grunt" superchargers are positive displacement type eg. rootes and twin screw style (the big metal mountain coming out the bonnet of muscle cars type) and there is centrifugal type which the most common and is seen mainly on commos n falcons is basically a compressor with a belt driving it.

Vortech and the like are centrifugal type will give you shitter power response and boost than a turbo.

If u want to go for a positive displacement type then the only economical option is to use a toyota sc12 supercharger but you will be severely limited as they cant hold much boost. You will need some custom fabrication done for intake manifold and posibly a water-to-air cooler setup if you plan to do anything serious. Then theres the prob that there is no room to fit them in silvia engine bay.

Not tryin to put you down man, ive been down the same path except with a ford 6 which i would argue has more room and more supercharger support. Good luck if u do try it htough

i have been in a copule supercharged cars and none of them made any power off the line. they only got soem power too the wheels after 3,000rpm.

superchargers are less efficient than turbo's and dont' give you power all the time like i'm sure you think they do. they really aren't very different to turbo's except they put drag on the engien (therefore taking power away) in order to make power.

try and add this up. most cars make like 20rwkw at under 3,000rpm. so really even if you had a supercharger making you an extra 50rwkw, you still have very little power off the line.

also superchargers depend on engien rev's to make power and i'm sorry but at anything under 3000rpm there are very few "cheap" superchargers that are that efficient to make they're 10psi at that amount of revs. hence they "hit boost" at about the same time as a turbo would boost up and they use power to make power and at the same boost make less power and you can't run as much boost through a supercharger compared to a turbo.

hmm, still think your goin to supercharge it?

I agree with T_Terror, a small turbo with a large wastegate would be much cheaper and easier and would drive almost the same as a roots blower.

I used to have an MR2 with a late model 4AGZE blown motor, and it was a lot of fun but you couldnt run much boost or the teflon coating on the rotors would melt and that would kill the blower, and thats about the only cheap blower available. Just to change boost levels with a supercharger is a nightmare as you have to change drive pulley ratios. You cant just play with the wastegate, there isnt one.

Boost from idle was cool fun though, but you can almost get that with a GT25 BB from what I have been led to believe.

im not going to go into pros and cons of supercharging, but it will cost alot more the $3000, especially if your paying for labour too. If you were pretty handy yourself and sourced mainly second hand parts then you could do for $3000. If you want more grunt off the line chuck in a RB25DE with some good extractors and stuff. That should be doable for under $3000, but goodluck making it legal

not sure if this is any help but look in to the toyota sc14 blower off a 1gget one of my mate has one on a 2lt fiat motor running about 12-14 psi. if i remeber right it would wheel spin in to 3rd :P

i prefer a blower over a turbo any day of the week ;)

i agree with tai 180sx, its not a good match for a small capacity engine to add a supercharger that is essentially parasitic in terms of boost production (mechanically driven), whereas a turbo is really free power from exhaust gases

yes there are examples of small capacity engines successfully supercharged like latest mini s but meh its all designed and engineered for it from the factory, as others have said not worth it

want power from idle :blink: cant u raise the revs and drop the clutch ;)

if you do most of it yourself its possible. I mapped it out and to do mine it was like $4000 only cause aftermacket ecu.

toyota sc14 of a 1gg is allright for it. but I just going turbo cause its costen me the same money and theres more mechanical help for a turboed sr20det rather than a sr20deZ :)

www.driftpig.com

I had it done bar the tuning before my car got stolen. I sold it to a bloke in sydney who lost his lisence, drop me an email at kingofshibby at hotmail and i'll give you all the info and the lads phone number. Dumhed did most of the setup, and we all know how insane he is .....

Many new forums are giving and sharing the good experiences that are of great importance. Thus, I am going to suggest bestessays that have more accommodations to attract users towards new ideas.