Sign in to follow this  
tai_180sx

High Flowing Oil Pump for SR20DET

There isn't an aftermarket option for the SR20DET motor to get a higher flowing oil pump than standard. but the standard oil pump on the GTiR pulsar actually does flow a lot more than the standard pumps on other sr20's.

once this oil pump is fitted you should have 95psi oil pressure on start up, once the engine's warmed up it should drop to around 30psi oil pressure and the oil pressure should raise as normal when boosting the car.

in order to bolt on the Gtir oil pump to the silvia sr20 you will need:

GTir Oil pump obviously. has to have front cover, 2 gears, rear cover, front main seal and o-ring.

GTir Oil pump drive

Gtir oil pump pickup and o-ring

thin white permanent marker

timing guide marker

and either oil tolerant silicone or 8mm threaded bolt, drill bit and thread tap

- first you will have to pull your oil pump off, take this time to have a look at the differences.

- first of all you will have to assemble the gears in teh GtiR oil pump front cover, don't forget to prime the oil pump. to do this assembe the gears in place then fill all the gaps up with vaseline. then assemble the rear cover of the oil pump.

- use gasket goo around the edge of the oil pump to create a seal with the block.

- make sure you fit the o-ring to the pressure side of the oil pump.

- the oil pump is now ready to fit to the motor.

- you will have to fit the GTiR oil pump gear drive onto the oil pump and over the crank shaft.

- fit the GTiR oil pump pickkup adn bolt the sump back on.

- once all the bolts are in place you will notice that at the top of the oil pump, only one of the bolts in the head will bolt into the oil pump. this shouldn't be a problem but you will have to fill in the hole in teh head or oil will spill out.

- you can do 2 different things to fill the hole in the head.

- i used silicone and filled the hole in the head because i might plan on selling my head down teh track and don't want it damaged.

- if you plan on keeping your head you can use a drill and drill the hole in the head out to 8mm and tap a thread in it, then use a bolt with thread sealant and bolt the hole up.

- now once its all sealed up there is only one thing left to do. you will have noticed that on the GTir oil pump the timing pin is in a different position than the standard pump.

- you will have to fit the front pulley and bolt it up.

- wind the motor over to top dead center and use the timing guide and white marker to mark new timing marks on teh pulley for TDC, 5degrees, 10, 15 and 20.

now it should all be ready to go, remember to crank the car for a while before you get oil pressure. becuase off the bigger oil pump it will probably take a while to get pressure straight up.

i will add pictures when i put my oil pump back on again in a few weeks.

post-2246-1153026359_thumb.jpg

Hi...!

Thanks for putting up such info..>!

Just the info i am after as my lifters are starting to click...click ...click alittle.

How much would cost for parts only...?

Thank you Tai...!

usually costs around the $500 to $600 mark. i think from memory the oil pump is around the $400 mark and then you have to buy the oil pump drive and o-ring and then a few modifications.

i actually have a spare GTiR oil pump here already modified to bolt on.

I'm in the middle of this conversion and need a little assistance.

I bought a Gti-R timing cover with oil pump included, including gear drives and gtir pick up.

Now firstly.. do you remove the oil pump from the GTi-R timing cover and install it in your RWD cover or do you install the entire GTi-R assembly?

I put on the entire GTI-R assembly modified the pick up, have it all together and now find that the crank pulley will not go on properly.

HELP

i actually have a spare GTiR oil pump here already modified to bolt on.

How much do you want for it?

Edited by jimmy a

I have a question...

With the GTIR oil pump drive being longer to accomodate the thicker oil pump assembly, this will in turn space out the harmonic balancer approximtely 5mm... If the oil pump drive is not used the harmonic balancer will not fit, and if forced will smach the inner oil pump gear. If the GTIR oil pump drive is used, this will in turn skew al the pulley belts, so for a correct fitment the altenater, water pump, power steering, a/c, and a/c idler will all need to be spaced out the same amount......

Or am I missing something??

It's unfortunate to have an incompleted, possibly misleading tech article?

dr drfit, you could be right, although these GTiR oil pumps are a common upgrade to the SR20 and the only reason i found out about it was through a very well known performance company that have pre-modified pumps ready to bolt on.

i'm sure that yes the belts may be a couple mm's out, but i drove around with this pump for a good year and never had any problems.

I'll measure the difference, but it looks closer to 5-6mm which to me, is a concern...

I too have done this conversion. You need to use the GTi-R oil pump drive as it is noticeably longer than the standard SR one. This will in fact move your harmonic balancer out by about 3-5mm. I just used a harmonic balancer that had the back of it machined down by a few millimetres.

It's been like that for just under 1 year so far and I haven't had any problems. Not machining it would have meant the belts being way out - the belts would have been chewed to pieces!

^^^ Exactly what we have just done :)

The standard oil pump on the GTiR pulsar actually does flow a lot more than the standard pumps on other sr20's.

^^ Rubbish. The S15 SR20 oil pump has larger gears than the GTIR and is a direct fit if upgrading an oil pump on an older model SR. :yes:

I HAVE THE SOLUTION FOR HIGH FLOWING PUMPS .FREE NO CHARGE SEND EMAIL TO:

manoli1974@yahoo.gr :

I HAVE THE SOLUTION FOR HIGH FLOWING PUMPS .FREE NO CHARGE SEND EMAIL TO:

manoli1974@yahoo.gr :

thats right i also used an s15 from cover and pump and is a direct bolt on with no mods ;)

Has anyone compared the GTir Gears to the s15? I just pulled apart a S15 oil pump and yes the gears are bigger than the s13 but not by much. The s13 gears are 9.35mm high and the s15 are 10.15mm. Interestingly the OD of the s15 gear set is smaller than the s13. Doing this creates a bit more room around the gears for oil to flow through. May be that's part of the problem with the s13 pump?

Proey

nah i havnt seen gtir pump, i just bought a new s15 item from JAPAN RHD for like under 270 AUD here they are over 500!!!

any has a pic or the harmonic balancer? i think at my side they dont call that the name.. so i am not sure what that.. LOL

Hey guys I have a s14 motor with gtir oil pump. I'm in the process of putting a harmonic balancer from my s13 motor onto it to the replace the eBay piece of crap. Will this be an issue for me about the spacing of the harmonic balancer? I also know I'm going to have to scratch new tdc marks into it cuz the pinions in a different position

Sign in to follow this