Sign in to follow this  
UOM3SX

S1 or s2 engine in a s14

Hey people I KNOW THERE THE SAME ENGINE, but would like to know if theres a way to know if its a series2 or series1 engine as some claim ive got a different engine in my S1 1995 s14.

can you tell by the engine number etc..

Michael

i am not to sure... but i think the s1 have a red top sr and the s2 have the black top with vvt.

or does that have something to with the s14a

Series 1's engins are black top with VVT.

Series 1's engins are black top with VVT.

that helps the man in absolutely no way.

i am not to sure... but i think the s1 have a red top sr and the s2 have the black top with vvt.

or does that have something to with the s14a

If you don't know something, don't post.

S14 Series 1 and S14a (Series 2 S14) all use blacktop VVT.

S13 had the redtop SR's.

S15 also has blacktop VVT.

kthxbai...

and i know know if theres anyway to tell if its a s1 or s2 engine.

there in a series 1 the back of the engine rocker doesnt slope down..

whereas a series 2 the back of th rocker cover has a little slope to it

there in a series 1 the back of the engine rocker doesnt slope down..

whereas a series 2 the back of th rocker cover has a little slope to it

yea ive herd somthing like that BUT i wont be able to tell if its got a slop because i cant compare it to another one.

isnt there any other way

where does everyone hear this stuff lol.

series1 does have slope down the rocker, same as s14a, s15.

hehe S14 and S14a both are black top with VVT and both are sloped... you might be gettin confused with the S13 black top which is pretty much exactly the same as the S13 red top.

try and get the engine number and ring nissans.

Where does everyone get this crap from? S14 and S14A both have identical rocker covers. They are the same motor.

As said, you'd be better off ringing nissan with the engine number. They could tell you straight away ;)

No shit, from now one anyone who claims shit that is false should be warned, there's no point having a tech forum or any other forum when every tom, dick and f**khead put their two bucks in yet have no f**king idea what they're on about.....

Its giving this site a bad name.

lmao. cant beleive the amount of bullcrap in here.

glad someone set it straight. from bomex downwards, and do what eikan says, get the number checked out to see what year it was made in.

check ur firewall for plaques

Hahaha...all these assumptions. Engines are no different in both models S14 just the external chassis and minor interior changes...period!

While the engine itself is the same it's worth mentioning that there are a few differences to the ancilleries around the engine, eg map sensor for the series 1 which is not in the series 2, different ecu for the series 1 etc. Thats probably the only way you could visually pick the difference however you could use either engine within each setup. If someone is saying you have a different engine in your series 1 they may have noticed that you're running the series 2 setup, more likely however is that they're one of those people who think a series 1 doesn't come with VTC or comes with a T25G (ie, they haven't got much of a clue)

hahaha your all full of crap

this is what i hate about the tch section these days it used to be different now its just a hole heap of e-mechanics saying shit they heard from there brothers mate

IF YOU DONT KNOW DONT POST

there is no physical diff betweeen the 2 best of getting the engine number and checking with nissan to see if it doesnt match you vin or if they can see what car it came out of

to clear a few things up

s14a a s2 s14 are the same thing

its not vvt thats toyota its vct (variable camshaft timing)that is the operation the the unti is called vtc (valve timing control)

the slope at the back is refered to the earlier black tops on the 180sx with out the vct all vct black tops are the same

the s1 s14 does not come wiht a red top it has a vct black top as well

i agree with you completely bazlinez i used to always hunt around th tech section helping people out, i am a mechanical enigneer and have worked on sr's for a long time so i have a bit of a backround to help people, but i got feed up with trying to compete with people that just post crap that they heard off someone else things get lost in translation next thing you know everyone is givin false info

and when you try to tell them to stop posting false info they have a cry at you and send you abusive pm's something needs to be done about this similar to the 100post rule for selling stuff

you cant just have any joe blow who thinks he knows what his on about

just to add on omg_ since when does a s1 s14 run a map sensor someone else said this the other day as well

hahaha your all full of crap

this is what i hate about the tch section these days it used to be different now its just a hole heap of e-mechanics saying shit they heard from there brothers mate

IF YOU DONT KNOW DONT POST

there is no physical diff betweeen the 2 best of getting the engine number and checking with nissan to see if it doesnt match you vin or if they can see what car it came out of

to clear a few things up

s14a a s2 s14 are the same thing

its not vvt thats toyota its vct (variable camshaft timing)that is the operation the the unti is called vtc (valve timing control)

the slope at the back is refered to the earlier black tops on the 180sx with out the vct all vct black tops are the same

the s1 s14 does not come wiht a red top it has a vct black top as well

i agree with you completely bazlinez i used to always hunt around th tech section helping people out, i am a mechanical enigneer and have worked on sr's for a long time so i have a bit of a backround to help people, but i got feed up with trying to compete with people that just post crap that they heard off someone else things get lost in translation next thing you know everyone is givin false info

and when you try to tell them to stop posting false info they have a cry at you and send you abusive pm's something needs to be done about this similar to the 100post rule for selling stuff

you cant just have any joe blow who thinks he knows what his on about

just to add on omg_ since when does a s1 s14 run a map sensor someone else said this the other day as well

The map sensor is in the intake piping in final bend prior to the throttle body which it runs in addition to the maf. If you look at a series two you'll see a blanking section in the same position.

I didn't say the engine was different at all, in fact I said they are identical, hell, here's the exact quote "While the engine itself is the same it's worth mentioning that there are a few differences to the ancilleries around the engine"

Before ranting about others giving incorrect tech advise how about you make sure you're not spouting crap yourself. For someone who seems to think they're gods gift to SR's you get a hell of a lot of stuff wrong.

k just checked it out and your right it sits just behind the fuse box but curous to know why it runs a map and a afm/o2 sensor

as for getting stuff wrong sure i sometimes get stuff wrong but i dont jsut post crap i make up or hear 4th hand from my mates cousin, im not saying im some "sr god" like you claim i simply said i can help people as i have a mechanical backround, unlike alot of the people that post in the tech section

s14 series 1 and 2 both have sloped black top vtc motors... unlike the s13s which came with red a black top srs.. with no slope at the end,.. hence no VTC>.....