Sign in to follow this  
Simvegas

First taste of Government coffers...

So I just imported a turbo kit from Japan and wasnt expecting to get slapped with 20% (10% GST and 10% Duty) damage on top of the declared price. Now I'll have to get my guy to keep vlaue below a thousand. Anybody else remember their first time like this they got scorched and was feeling bitter????

:(

Did you get it through an internet site? You probably missed the small print which says you are responsible for all duties and taxes.

next time get it gift wrapped, customs are less inclined to rip open gifts. Doesn't mean they won't though.... :ph34r:

Nah private import from Japan through friend of friend. I just need them to keep decalred price below $1000. Well thats what FedEx told me

also keep in mind that the cost of shipping DOES count towards the cost of the item...

so for example if the item is $900 and shipping is $100, then you'll still get stung.

Make sure you price items accordingly. Also make sure you don't insure items for more than you declare them (that should be common sense, but you'd be amazed how many people make that mistake... where customs goes "oh its a $500 power FC insured for $1200 hmmm").

^^^ Good points.

I got stung on a clutch kit from NZ for the Galant, which was already hitting the bank balance pretty hard before our Commonwealth government joined in. Ironically, if they'd sent the parts separately, I probably would've been fine.

What should I do in this case.

I bought a turbocharger for 650 US dollars, and the people sending it have insure ir for 1200 USD as thats the RRP in the USA.

So no do I have to pay all these duties and everything for something which should of been under the threshold?

better start streching, coz it looks like you are gonna get reamed :o

really depends if the customs officer is having a nice day. But I would start saving for it just in case.

just tell them to write gift on the parcel,

• gift
    • turbo
    • intercooler

always done it when ive bought stuff in and never got into trouble...

Yes. Gift is the way to go. Also label your bank transfers (if you transferred via bank) as Gift as well :)

In coming years there is going to be changes to the amount of duty/gst you have to pay on items.

With cars it will all depend on what you are bringing in however for some particular items may not have any duty applied only gst.

Word from our customs broker. ;)

Duty/gst is a rort especially when it comes to used cars.

For items such as food (e.g- tomato sauce) you only have to pay $72 duty to import a container of this regardless of the amount the goods cost. This is because goods like sauce that you add to food is in high demand and Australia doesnt have the potential handle the capacity to produce massive amounts, this is why majority of sauce in your fridge is from overseas. No gst to import.

With the Australian car manufacturing industry there are too many jobs at risk if they go under so in turn the government makes it harder to bring cheap imports in.

So the moral of the story start making f@#kloads of sauce people so it is in high demand and when mitsubishi, holdens and ford are buried imports will be free flowing. By that time crude oil will be completey gone and we will be running electric cars that all have the same output of power.

Importing tariffs have actually Dropped since beginning of 2005. Most car part items were 15% duty and more before then, but the govt have reduced it to 10% and less.

Better still, import something made from the States and you will be charged zero duty.