Sign in to follow this  
Drift_looser

CA18 Dyno Results. No Chit Chat. Results only please

1989 180sx CA18DET

mods:

20 thou O/S pistons and spool forged rods

rebuilt bottom end with all new bearings and arp bolts and balanced

reground cams by cam tech to stage one (approx 260 degrees and 8.5mm lift)

tomei adjustable cam gears

heavy duty valve springs

head reco and port and port match

removed inlet butterflys

splitfire coil packs

T28 bush bearing turbo i believe

Z32 AFM

apexi air filter

3" SS exhaust back inc hi flow cat

SS exhaust manifold

850cc injectors

walbro lift pump, surge tank and bosch 044 main pump

turbo smart BOV

engine bay mounted PWR intercooler

NISTUNE ecu tuned by POWERTUNE AUSTRALIA

apexi AVCR boost controller

the car made approx 175kws@14psi on RON 98 fuel then i got it tuned on E85 and made 192kws@ 14psi at the wheels.

the cars at powertune now getting retuned with the cam gears so im hoping it will make abit more power, i have also switched to caltex E85 which seems to run better than united fuel.

i would also like to know the results on GT3071r on the CAs cuz i think thats the turbo ill be going with or maybe a prescion turbo

heres my result

garret 3071 sitting on a 6 boost manifold.

forged bottom end. standard head except for step 1 Hks cams

old school microtech computer

p3150217.jpg

smallerversionenginebay.jpg

Vehicle: 1991 Nissan Silvia S13

Engine: CA18DET

Engine Modifications:

- Internally Standard (new rings/bearings/acl gasket kit)

- S15 T28 BB

- SS Manifold

- 3" dump/screamer/front pipe/de-cat/3" into twin 2" into twin 3" tips

- 440cc Injectors

- Super Spark Coil Packs

- Z32 AFM

- Drift Pod Filter

- Cooling Pro FMIC

- Cooling Pro Oil Cooler

- 044 external pump & surge tank setup -6 braided lines

- Nistune

- 98 octane pump fuel

Currently making 210.5rwkw @ 15psi / 513.2nm torque on a Mainline Dyno.

Will be getting a new in tank pump, fuel pressure reg & a re-tune at 16-17psi.

Hoping to make 220+

Edited by 1991_SHOW_CA18DET

Are you sure that you have a S15 T28 and not a GT2860RS (Disco Potato)?

Because if it is a S15 T28 your not going to be making 210rwkw on 14.5 psi.

210kw is the max you will expect with no cams on a SR and that's running the turbo out of it's efficiency at around 18psi.

^^^^ Yes Im positive that its only a S15 T28BB Turbo. I purchased it Brand New from Tarrks Parts on here.

pretty sure that dyno reading is really high, i could take my car to another dyno and have it make 200kw

with a HKS GTSS on my CA18DE+T, GTR injectors, Z32 AFM, GTR front mount, 3" exhaust no mufflers and cat that probably has nothing left in it, Apexi Power FC it made 180kw on 14psi at Jaustech, plan on getting it tuned again with 2-4 more psi

Edited by driftnick13

^^^^

Wow... I thought the title of this forum said 'No Chit Chat. Results Only Please'... Good to see people cant just appreciate a well built motor that has been tuned correctly.

^^^^

Wow... I thought the title of this forum said 'No Chit Chat. Results Only Please'... Good to see people cant just appreciate a well built motor that has been tuned correctly.

who tuned it and where was it done?

most people will find it hard to believe that it makes so much more power then everybody with less mods

Edited by driftnick13

180sx 1989 CA18DET

Mods

T28 Ball Bearing GCG Turbo

FMIC

Custom Dump Pipe and exhaust # inch from turbo back

STandard Internals

Unknown Injectors?

Pretty much bought as is

202 rwhp @ 1 bar

Splitfire coil packs

Got sheets coming, waiting for my mate to send them through.

Car last made 164rwkw (I have that sheet available if needed) and was as follows.

Standard unopened engine - 143ks

T25G - 14psi - Turbotech manual boost tap.

3" Exhaust - No Cat

Cooler

Pod Filter

Standard Injectors

Standard AFM

Standard Fuel Pump

SAFC II + Car Came with a Chipped ECU in it, had the ZIF socket installed so at some stage it was custom tuned - Service history backs that up. SAFC was used to add some more fuel.

Car then received the following upgrades.

S15 T28BB/GT2560 - 16psi, creeps to 17psi for 1500rpm or so.

Z32 AFM

Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump

RX-7 460cc Injectors

Made a max of 183.5rwkw, and we settled on about 182rwkw @ about 6000-6500rpm (Almost 244hp). Torque was 310-320Nm at about 5000-5500rpm. Aimed for 11.2-11.5afrs for safety and to have headroom, we were trimming fuel out so the injectors still have decent room, though we may have been counteracting tunin in the chip, who knows. It runs well though. Could have run leaner and pushed a bit more for a better number but I'd rather the margin left in.

Considering doing the DET Exhaust Cam on the intake side upgrade for a few extra wasps and that's about it as it's stock.

Tuning was done by me with a mates assistance on a DynoTech by Dyno Dynamics unit.

Edited by ActionDan

As noted.

Old Power. Had a tuned ROM, and SAFC II. 14psi on a T25G.

199763_10150219957844838_1206571_n.jpg

New Power, Same Tuned ROM and SAFC II, The plan would be to go Nistune if I went Disco or had to rebuild the engine.

182rwkw - Final Run.PNG

Torque - No idea what the old torque was, but 320Nm doesn't seem too bad. Dunno what's up with that dip between 4000-4500, bad tuning on the timing front maybe.

Max Torque.PNG

Boost - 16-17psi, could be pushed to 18 but given the Turbo was $100 and was supposed to have be blown when I bought it, we might just leave it there.

PSI.PNG

EDIT: Bought a CA18DET Exhaust cam, some cam gears and new cam seals, so should have a new figure in the next few weeks, hoping for another 10+ rwkw.

Edited by ActionDan

256kw@15psi running a TD06SL2-20G Tomei head with abit of JUN and forged bottom end. Running e85/BP98 50/50 Blend. Downside idiot didnt torque the head so heads off being machined and will be back on the dyno to put down some more power/boost (hit 15psi with a hole in the vacuum line on the gate so it couldnt go any higher also).

Tomei Solid Lifters

Tomei HD Springs

Tomei 260x10.25mm Solid Cam In

Tomei 260x10.25mm Solid Cam Ex

Tomei Cam Gears

Jun Valve Guides

Jun Titanium Valve Retainers

Ported Head and Intake runners

Custom Valves Australia Oversizes Stainless Exhaust Valves (1mm +)

Trust Manifold - Ceramic Coated

Trust 48mm Gate

TD06SL2-20G - Kinugawa Center

Subzero Intake plenum

48mm XF Throttle Body

800cc Sard Injectors

Sard FPR

etc...

282269_10150837087092539_340452222_n.jpg

Hello.

my ca18det dyno sheet and spec.

1.5bar

294.7 kw on wheels

495.7 nm

-ca18det

-supertech piston 0.50mm overbore.

-jdm head ported.

-intake is exhaus cam.

-spring and valve is stock.

-garrett gt3071

-630cc deca inj

-70mm throttle.

-dual plenum intake

-megasquirt 2 v3

-2.5inch exhaus pipe

-

there is dyno results.

http://s1266.photobu...1/dyno%20laput/

Edited by mblues

1989 CA18DET 5spd

146ks , standard bottom end fresh headgasket/studs/etc

GT2560/T28 BB on 17psi creeps to 18psi for at peak torque.

Greddy FMIC

Pod Filter

Drift Catch Can with baffle - Vented to Atmo.

Turbo Tech Boost Tap

R33 BOV - plumbed back.

Heat Shield and Cold Air Intake

3" Turbo Back Exhaust with de-cat (also tested dropping the cat back for possible side exit exhaust, made less power)

Apexi SAFC V2

Apexi SITC

AEM Wideband Air Fuel Sensor and Gauge

CA18DET Exhaust Cam and Adjustable Cam Gears

I also have before and afters specifically for the cam and gears which you can see in my build thread and in the CA18 cam thread that Stirls had.

Dyno Result.JPG

256kw@15psi running a TD06SL2-20G Tomei head with abit of JUN and forged bottom end. Running e85/BP98 50/50 Blend. Downside idiot didnt torque the head so heads off being machined and will be back on the dyno to put down some more power/boost (hit 15psi with a hole in the vacuum line on the gate so it couldnt go any higher also). Tomei Solid Lifters Tomei HD Springs Tomei 260x10.25mm Solid Cam In Tomei 260x10.25mm Solid Cam Ex Tomei Cam Gears Jun Valve Guides Jun Titanium Valve Retainers Ported Head and Intake runners Custom Valves Australia Oversizes Stainless Exhaust Valves (1mm +) Trust Manifold - Ceramic Coated Trust 48mm Gate TD06SL2-20G - Kinugawa Center Subzero Intake plenum 48mm XF Throttle Body 800cc Sard Injectors Sard FPR etc... 282269_10150837087092539_340452222_n.jpg

Had to rebuild the engine with a new block and head. Didnt port it like the last head made 225kw@16psi. Looking to go full e85 and up the boost and see what we get. Have changed down to 16" wheels for maximum baking :D

I finally get my sheet up and you jump in here and one up me...

I'mma call you Mario from now on :D

hahaha. funny enough the 225kw seems to be more responsive/powerful than the 282 it did previously on another dyno/tuner....hmmm such a happy dyno... now to get some seat time, get used to the power and then pump another 15psi into it and crack that ever elusive 300kw ive been trying to get for so god damn long.

This is my current setup in my CA S13 Silvia. Has done a best of 258rwkw @ 20psi leaning out with 440cc injectors. This was on the exact same tune as when it had an internal gate GT28RS .64 that went 244rwkw.

It has recently had 800cc injectors fitted and a nistune ECU. Currently in the process of moving hte AFM to after the intercoler then get it on the dyno to see if we can crack 300rwkw. IT should be able to do this with the setup it now has.

Engine – CA18DET

Internals – 1mm oversize Arias Forged Pistons, Spool Conrods, Balanced standard crank, ACL MLS RACE Head gasket & ARP Head studs, ACL RACE Bearings, Performance Springs Heavy Duty Valve springs, CA16 Inlet Camshaft, Growly Custom Machining Adjustable Cam Gears, Modified Sump with extensions on each side (now holds 5L of oil)

Induction – TD06H 20G 10cm (copy) and 44mm Tial MVS Gate, K&N Pod filter, 650x250x90mm Bar and Plate Hyperflow S15 Intercooler, Modified and mounted in original radiator position with custom intercooler piping, Butterflies removed from inlet manifold, 60mm RB20 Throttle body (R31 type), Z32 Air Flow Meter

Exhaust – Trust low mount stainless manifold (modified to fit Tial gate), , 3 Inch Catalytic Convertor, Custom Full 3 inch Exhaust, Straight Thru Lukey Muffler, 14 inch hot dog

Fuelling – Bosch 040 Fuel pump, GTR injectors 440cc, Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator

Engine Management - Remapped Factory ECU – TUNED BY DR DRIFT

Driveline – Z32 VG30 Gearbox with custom cut and shut bell housing and custom gearshifter, Extreme Clutches Cushioned (ceramic) Button Clutch Plate, Heavy Duty Pressure Plate, Custom One Piece Tailshaft, Stock CA R200 VLSD

Stuff you both lol

This thread sits dormant for ages, I touch it and bam you two are back in here!

Has anyone done a switch to E85 but with no other changes? Interested to see what gains are there.

This is my current setup in my CA S13 Silvia. Has done a best of 258rwkw @ 20psi leaning out with 440cc injectors. This was on the exact same tune as when it had an internal gate GT28RS .64 that went 244rwkw.

It has recently had 800cc injectors fitted and a nistune ECU. Currently in the process of moving hte AFM to after the intercoler then get it on the dyno to see if we can crack 300rwkw. IT should be able to do this with the setup it now has.

Engine – CA18DET

Internals – 1mm oversize Arias Forged Pistons, Spool Conrods, Balanced standard crank, ACL MLS RACE Head gasket & ARP Head studs, ACL RACE Bearings, Performance Springs Heavy Duty Valve springs, CA16 Inlet Camshaft, Growly Custom Machining Adjustable Cam Gears, Modified Sump with extensions on each side (now holds 5L of oil)

Induction – TD06H 20G 10cm (copy) and 44mm Tial MVS Gate, K&N Pod filter, 650x250x90mm Bar and Plate Hyperflow S15 Intercooler, Modified and mounted in original radiator position with custom intercooler piping, Butterflies removed from inlet manifold, 60mm RB20 Throttle body (R31 type), Z32 Air Flow Meter

Exhaust – Trust low mount stainless manifold (modified to fit Tial gate), , 3 Inch Catalytic Convertor, Custom Full 3 inch Exhaust, Straight Thru Lukey Muffler, 14 inch hot dog

Fuelling – Bosch 040 Fuel pump, GTR injectors 440cc, Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator

Engine Management - Remapped Factory ECU – TUNED BY DR DRIFT

Driveline – Z32 VG30 Gearbox with custom cut and shut bell housing and custom gearshifter, Extreme Clutches Cushioned (ceramic) Button Clutch Plate, Heavy Duty Pressure Plate, Custom One Piece Tailshaft, Stock CA R200 VLSD

How come you went with a 10cm rear housing? cant get enough of the lag ? :lol: should have gone 1000cc injectors and moved to full e85 for best results. Looking to upgrade ours to that size shortly and retune on full e85. current 800cc and 98ron you should be able to crack 300kw with about 25psi~

How come you went with a 10cm rear housing? cant get enough of the lag ? laugh.png should have gone 1000cc injectors and moved to full e85 for best results. Looking to upgrade ours to that size shortly and retune on full e85. current 800cc and 98ron you should be able to crack 300kw with about 25psi~

When Sam (Dr drift) organised the turbo (about 2 years ago) we originally planned to use an 8cm, but had all sorts of issues getting the correct 8cm housing, 3 turned up with T67 8cm housings on td06 turbos. Then when we got a TD06 one it was 10cm. The company said thats all they could supply at the time as there was some sort of issue. After stuffing around for so long we just used this to get it running. With plans to change it later if not happy. Surprisingly its not as bad as i thought it woul be, full boost is at 4600rpm which should get better once the tune is to suit the setup. This was with the old tune (for a GT28RS that had full boost at 3400) so with some more timing low down it should help imrprove this

As for E85, up here on the north coast of NSW we dont have easy access to it, no servo's with pump E85 so this would mean getting it in drums. To much stuffing aroun with frieght etc plus the price not worth it. When and if we get it at the pump we will change. for now we are going to use united boost 100, which is E10. also the car is still regoed and used as a daily to get tpo work a few times a week

How come you went with a 10cm rear housing? cant get enough of the lag ? :lol: should have gone 1000cc injectors and moved to full e85 for best results. Looking to upgrade ours to that size shortly and retune on full e85. current 800cc and 98ron you should be able to crack 300kw with about 25psi~

When Sam (Dr drift) organised the turbo (about 2 years ago) we originally planned to use an 8cm, but had all sorts of issues getting the correct 8cm housing, 3 turned up with T67 8cm housings on td06 turbos. Then when we got a TD06 one it was 10cm. The company said thats all they could supply at the time as there was some sort of issue. After stuffing around for so long we just used this to get it running. With plans to change it later if not happy. Surprisingly its not as bad as i thought it woul be, full boost is at 4600rpm which should get better once the tune is to suit the setup. This was with the old tune (for a GT28RS that had full boost at 3400) so with some more timing low down it should help imrprove this

As for E85, up here on the north coast of NSW we dont have easy access to it, no servo's with pump E85 so this would mean getting it in drums. To much stuffing aroun with frieght etc plus the price not worth it. When and if we get it at the pump we will change. for now we are going to use united boost 100, which is E10. also the car is still regoed and used as a daily to get tpo work a few times a week

Ah ok. Yeah ive heard ok things about the united 100. 98+10% ethanol. $170 gets you a new 8cm rear housing (Delivered) http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/120493903384?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I'm running the premium 100 fuel in my graph above.

I was surprised by how much timing it took.

Dont have the picture as I'm on my phone but completely stock plus a t28 running 12 psi I got 149.5 kW atw which surprised the tuner a bit.

Nah thats OK, I made 164 on a t25g on 12psi, basic tune though so 150 on better flowing turbo untuned seems about right to me.

long time ago i made 120kw on 6psi (just actuator regulating) with a t28. so yeah dont see why not

When my T28 BB shits itself (and can't be rebuilt easily because it's a BB cartridge) what's going to be the best cost effecitve upgrade for a bit more grunt?

Disco? TD0 range? Kinguawa thing?

I know it depends on what power i want but I wouldn't want to upgrade any other parts (obviously I'd retune).

Kando tdo5 18g. Or tdo6 20g. Depends what your after suss Dyno results. And my ca18 made like 130 I think it was with stainless 3 inch exhaust FMIC t28 11psi, definitely worthy of this thread.

Edited by sean133