Sign in to follow this  
mr_squiggle_1

Installing Bosch Coil Packs on a CA18DET

Installing Bosch Coil packs to a CA18DET

Ok the idea of this upgrade is to basically get rid of the troublesome standard coil packs which are prone to over heating and dying when you least need it to occur… :thmbup:

For this conversion I used the Bosch HEC716 coil packs however you can use just about any of the bosch external coil packs if you wished to. I don’t have a lot of photos as it was till afterwards that I decided to write this up, but if someone was kind enough to take a few that I could insert here and there that would be good. :D

Basically you have to start out by finding which of the wires going to your coil packs is the + and which is the – wires. Each of the stock coil packs uses 3 wires 2 rather fat ones and a smaller one. The smaller one is the one you do no longer require. In the case of my coil packs the outer of the 2 fat wires was the + and the middle was the – wire.

- The easiest way to find out which wire is which is to use a test lamp while the car is running and the one that makes the test lamp light up is the positive.

Now that you have found the + and – you can cut the standard loom and soldier in the new wires in that will connect to the new coil packs.

Now comes time to find somewhere to mount the new coil packs. I chose to mount them on the drivers side strut tower as it was out of the way from harm and also away from major heat sources. I used some aluminium right angle to mount them up. As can be seen below:

newcoilpacksns0.th.jpg

Now once the coil packs are mounted and you have done the wiring you can now wire up the new coil packs, making sure you put the – wires on the – terminal on the coil pack and the + where its meant to go.

Next thing you will need to do is get yourself some plug leads to go from the coil packs to the plugs. Get appropriate sized leads so as to keep everything neat, they DO NOT all have to be the same length.

Make sure you put the right plug lead on the right plug as it wont run properly if you don’t (I found this out the hard way :thmbdn: )

Hey presto your done!

newcoilpacks2jn4.th.jpg

Excuse the dirty engine bay. Ill get round to cleaning it one day.

Results:

I noticed my car to run a lot smoother through out the rev range compared to the stock coils, no longer does its hesitate in higher rpm’s.

Other Notes

This conversion can be done on other engines but the way it is done will vary depending on your wiring loom and the number of cylinders you have.

If you have any other questions, or i have missed something, ask away i should be able to answer your questions,

Neil

hey man thanks for this i appreciate it when ppl post helpfull articles... umm what type of leads did u use and how much did everything cost!

Cheers for the comments.

At the moment i am using topgun leads which are only 8mm... i am trying to source some splitfire leads in the lenghts i want which are 12mm from memory.

Costs are roughly as follows:

Coilpacks - $55 each x 4 = $220

Leads - i think they were $5 each for the 8mm ones... 12mm are a fair bit more.

Aluminium Angle - $20 for like 2 meters of the stuff, couldnt buy it any smaller from where i got it.

Wiring, etc - had most of it lying around the garage, and did all the work myself so = Free.

Hope that gives you some idea, any other questions let me know,

Neil

Edit - Just noticed your in brisbane and on the southside, i could help you do it if you do want to do this.

To run this setup you need an aftermarket ecu that has coil dwell adjustment otherwise the car will missfire running anymore than standard boost

great writeup mate, i diddnt realise it was such a simple job but aftermarket ecu 1st aye, will have to get onto that nistune then, cheers mate

To run this setup you need an aftermarket ecu that has coil dwell adjustment otherwise the car will missfire running anymore than standard boost

ahhh, you sure mate?

myself and a heap of other WA dudes are running VN coils and we all run a fair amoutn more than standard boost, and 90% of us are still using the standard computer, also been done on a few rb20's, still using standard comp.

ahhh, you sure mate?

myself and a heap of other WA dudes are running VN coils and we all run a fair amoutn more than standard boost, and 90% of us are still using the standard computer, also been done on a few rb20's, still using standard comp.

He may be right. I just installed a set of hec716s on my ca18det running a chipped stocko ecu and I cannot run more than 7-8psi without massive misfires. I have matched the wiring from the service manual and even used the loom end from a stock coilpack loom so they plug in directly. Going to speak to my tuner tomorrow but for now I have gone back to stock coils because 7psi is shit :P

wow... I had no idea the CA18DET coilpack setup was so different to the DE engine. Anyone know why this is??? The difference i'm referring to is how the DE coils sit directly over the spark plugs in neat units.

wow... I had no idea the CA18DET coilpack setup was so different to the DE engine. Anyone know why this is??? The difference i'm referring to is how the DE coils sit directly over the spark plugs in neat units.

stock ca18det coilpacks are the same as what you are describing, the photos above are of the bosch coilpacks he installed

ahhh, you sure mate?

He may be right. I just installed a set of hec716s on my ca18det running a chipped stocko ecu and I cannot run more than 7-8psi without massive misfires. I have matched the wiring from the service manual and even used the loom end from a stock coilpack loom so they plug in directly. Going to speak to my tuner tomorrow but for now I have gone back to stock coils because 7psi is shit :P

same happened to my SR and i posted on this thread ages ago to warn ppl of what could happen and the mods deleted the entire thread and restored it from a backup and this happened before way hardtuned.net and the server crash BTW

i even went as far as speaking to Bosch to find out the dwell specs of these coils, compared it to the dwell timing of the SR coilpacks and found out i was spot on about the dwell not being long enough on the stock ecu and it makes absolute sense cos the stock coilpacks are tiny compared to the bosch coilpacks which were designed to run in falcons and commodores

in the end, i had to get a voltage amp for the bosch coils to run them on 16v to get it all working as i didn't have an aftermarket ecu. theory behind it was to increase the voltage to shorten the charge time needed for the coils or set it for longer charge duration via ECU but unfortunately wasn't an option for me at the time

Hey all

sorry to bump an old post but I could do with some info :)

I tried yesterday to wire in some coils (primera!) on my CA18DET 200sx

long story short it behaves almost exactly as that described by others in this post when warning about the dwell change requirement in the ecu.

starts fine, drives perfect but as soon as she boosts up around 7-8psi it misfires like a virgin

so I have to conclude in my findings it must be true about the dwell map change.

Can I ask - those of you that changed to VN coil packs...how much boost are you running ?

and for those that say change the dwell map - what other changes are required on the tune for this to work ?, I have remapped my ecu some time ago, running 182KW at the rears with t28 etc will I need a full retune after changing the dwell map or is it just a matter of finding the correct setting for the type of coil pack in use and bobs ya uncle ?

would appreciate your help

Cheers

Stretch, NZ

Hey all

sorry to bump an old post but I could do with some info :)

I tried yesterday to wire in some coils (primera!) on my CA18DET 200sx

long story short it behaves almost exactly as that described by others in this post when warning about the dwell change requirement in the ecu.

starts fine, drives perfect but as soon as she boosts up around 7-8psi it misfires like a virgin

so I have to conclude in my findings it must be true about the dwell map change.

Can I ask - those of you that changed to VN coil packs...how much boost are you running ?

and for those that say change the dwell map - what other changes are required on the tune for this to work ?, I have remapped my ecu some time ago, running 182KW at the rears with t28 etc will I need a full retune after changing the dwell map or is it just a matter of finding the correct setting for the type of coil pack in use and bobs ya uncle ?

would appreciate your help

Cheers

Stretch, NZ

the dwell time just needs to be set longer for the bosch coils - around 5ms. stock coil packs are around 1.4ms which isn't long enough to charge up the larger bosch coils.

you could pay for a re-map provided they can adjust the dwell to a longer duration. i know PFCs can adjust dwell using FC datalogit. microtech, motec and haltech (i think) can do it too.

or you could run a voltage booster to the coils to shorten the dwell time needed to charge the bosch coils as they're running a higher constant voltage (16V)

http://www.iceignition.com/2216.HTM

i can also tell you from personal experience that the voltage booster definitely works as it was simply a matter of installing the booster & the misfire was gone. can't say what effect this will have on your tune though, perhaps the same as having slight advanced timing?

Anyone got the part number for Bosch coilpacks for the SR20det? Also Any idea if you can adjust dwell on the nistune?

Anyone got the part number for Bosch coilpacks for the SR20det? Also Any idea if you can adjust dwell on the nistune?

i also want to no this

Sign in to follow this