Sign in to follow this  
m&m

Running thread

Been working on my running alot lately. Nothing long, more shorter distances but i'm trying to compromise between strength and cardio. So far so good. Running has dramatically improved and managed to bench squat 170kg for 3 reps last night and still weighing around 77kg. Still early days with my training so see how it goes.

Done some beach sprints this morning ranging between 80-100m. Was fair stuffed at the end of it.

cant say ive done beach sprints! good to see you still holding strength as well!

this morning i done 3x2km and a 1km! felt alright! was good to have some nice weather for a change!

Yeah it was good. My feet are actually sore from it.

It's not nice weather when you get cold headaches from running :lol:

Mate I don't do water :lol: It's farken winter dude haha. Highly likely I would cry. My abs are so bloody sore from those sprints too.

soft :lol:

sprinting does work your whole body! i bet your looking forward to waking up tomorrow!

I wont deny that i'm soft with water :P I'm always bloody sore :lol:

Just read an interview with Rab' (Chris) Wardlaw about the evolution of distance training and how coaching has progressed since he was killing it in the 70's/80's (in R4YL). He claims that too many people try to sharpen their training without a solid base and it leads to injury and cycles of crap performance. Now that he's moved back from Hong Kong he's coaching Mottram and claims that this could be Mottram's greatest period.

Have been thinking about a Wardlaw/Lydiard approach with minimum six months of solid mileage (100km+) before I even think about stepping onto the track. Strength work to be done in the form of low rep long hills with one tempo set per week. I need to read up on it more to see if there's any scope for racing during that phase. Was thinking about it lastnight and I haven't raced since Perth City2Surf in '06 (blew up with injury soon after)!

He claims that too many people try to sharpen their training without a solid base and it leads to injury and cycles of crap performance.

Holds true to most things.

solid base i think is very important, i think people intend to try and run to fast to soon, which of course leads to injury! or running on a knifes edge!

good to see you back running ralph! hopefully stay injury free!

i think people intend to try and run to fast to soon, which of course leads to injury!

What sort of injury? Too fast too soon? Do you mean like the human equivalent to speed wobbles on a poorly constructed go kart?

People try and push themselves too hard too quickly.

Like lifting for a week then deciding to try deadlift 180kg. You're just gunna hurt yourself.

anyone using nike pegasus?

I have an almost unworn pair of '08 Pegs in the garage as they don't really work with my orthotics BUT they are a tried and tested running shoe (as distinct from a fashion shoe) and worth a crack if you are neutral to mild pronator. AFAIK they are a similar style to Asics 20-series but cheaper.

thanks!

also results from berlin 10km final!

1 402 Kenenisa Bekele ETH 26:46.31 (CR)

2 347 Zersenay Tadese ERI 26:50.12 (SB)

3 735 Moses Ndiema Masai KEN 26:57.39 (SB)

4 415 Imane Merga ETH 27:15.94 (PB)

5 730 Bernard Kiprop Kipyego KEN 27:18.47 (SB)

6 1221 Dathan Ritzenhein USA 27:22.28 (PB)

7 734 Micah Kipkemboi Kogo KEN 27:26.33 (SB)

8 1227 Galen Rupp USA 27:37.99 (SB)

9 346 Kidane Tadasse ERI 27:41.50 (SB)

10 407 Gebre-egziabher Gebremariam ETH 27:44.04 (SB)

11 950 Ahmad Hassan Abdullah QAT 27:45.03 (SB)

12 344 Teklemariam Medhin ERI 27:58.89 (SB)

13 1092 Fabiano Joseph Naasi TAN 28:04.32 (SB)

14 825 Juan Carlos Romero MEX 28:09.78 (SB)

15 358 Carles Castillejo ESP 28:09.89

16 1091 Dickson Marwa Mkami TAN 28:18.00 (SB)

17 1211 Tim Nelson USA 28:18.04

18 820 Juan Luis Barrios MEX 28:31.40

19 611 Surendra Kumar Singh IND 28:35.51 (SB)

20 1013 Anatoliy Rybakov RUS 28:42.28

21 1093 Ezekiel Jafari TAN 28:45.34

22 1137 Martin Toroitich UGA 28:49.49 (SB)

23 941 Rui Pedro Silva POR 28:51.40

24 143 David McNeill AUS 29:18.59 (SB)

25 690 Yuki Iwai JPN 29:24.12

• Upvote 1

Sad to see only one Australian in the top 25, although I imagine Buster would have finished quite high if fit.

^^^^

Agreed! But the pace is so disheartening: with three guys under 27min what hope do us Aussies have when Buster's 10km PB is around 27:34? These days Collis Birmingham runs a quicker tenner than Buster and his best is definitely yet to come.

Glad to see 'The Ritz' right up there though as I was starting to think he might be the next Alan Webb aka. chewed up by the NCAA and overhyped. The new hype kid (a la D.Rizenhein and A.Webb) is German Fernandez but I think he'll live up to his hype with a 3:39 1500m and 13:25 5km at the age of 18.

Stoked to see Michael Shelley's C2S win the other week in Sydney. He has so much talent but never really got much attention and is definitely one of Aus's most underrated runners.

Are we even going to bother sending a track and field team to London, Sally aside ?

Its a third rate sport in Australia, ranked alongside inline hockey.

Yeah of course we will field a team: Hooker, McClellan, and good old Monners in the commentary box! But seriously Jeff Riseley* and Collis Birmingham are on the up-and-up and they'll make a splash in the future.

The debate as to why Aus is performing so poorly in aths is neverending but here is a quick summary:

a> The existence of Ethiopia

b> AusKick is the new LittleAths

c> The existence of Kenya

d> Footy & Soccer = $$$ + girls (Aths = injuries + puny biceps)

e> The existence of Eritrea

f> NCAA meatgrinder & US College scholarships

g> The existence of the entire African continent!

Basically we aren't the only formerly-great-but-now-crap athletics nation. Look at Germany and Scandinavia? The US would have a lot more if all their shining stars didn't race 500 times a year in NCAA until they are broken down old mares at the age of 21. I can't wait until African athletes start showing up in the next FINA worldchamps: Aussie's will no longer have to pretend that they actually care about swimming anymore once we can't medal even in the softest events!

*The Riseley rocketship is soaring: only a few years ago he was lapping hacks like me down at Knox track on Saturday arvos and now he's ripping through Europe

Agreed!

It was good to see Risely make the semi`s- hopefully he can build on it!

also Ryan Gregson is definately something to look out for in the future as well!

but i just think there is no depth anymore, no one wants to do it! you ask any teenager most of them will say, are you kidding me?

with like any sport, comes commitment, dedication, and effort! which alot of people lack!

thats just how i see it here in SA, where athlectics is a long way down the list!

There's simply no money in it. To train that hard and get paid peanuts is always going to kill athletics in Australia.

I've been watching the World Championships on Foxtel, its a pity the sport is so poorly supported in Australia, its one of the most exciting things to watch. Poker gets more airplay for f u c k s sake, thats a disgrace.

Yeah I know. I can watch it for hours. Love it. One day I will go to the olympics to watch.

same! i love watching it!

check out this vid! one of the best 800m races you will ever see!

That was awesome mate!!

thanks!

also results from berlin 10km final!

1 402 Kenenisa Bekele ETH 26:46.31 (CR)

2 347 Zersenay Tadese ERI 26:50.12 (SB)

3 735 Moses Ndiema Masai KEN 26:57.39 (SB)

4 415 Imane Merga ETH 27:15.94 (PB)

5 730 Bernard Kiprop Kipyego KEN 27:18.47 (SB)

6 1221 Dathan Ritzenhein USA 27:22.28 (PB)

7 734 Micah Kipkemboi Kogo KEN 27:26.33 (SB)

8 1227 Galen Rupp USA 27:37.99 (SB)

9 346 Kidane Tadasse ERI 27:41.50 (SB)

10 407 Gebre-egziabher Gebremariam ETH 27:44.04 (SB)

11 950 Ahmad Hassan Abdullah QAT 27:45.03 (SB)

12 344 Teklemariam Medhin ERI 27:58.89 (SB)

13 1092 Fabiano Joseph Naasi TAN 28:04.32 (SB)

14 825 Juan Carlos Romero MEX 28:09.78 (SB)

15 358 Carles Castillejo ESP 28:09.89

16 1091 Dickson Marwa Mkami TAN 28:18.00 (SB)

17 1211 Tim Nelson USA 28:18.04

18 820 Juan Luis Barrios MEX 28:31.40

19 611 Surendra Kumar Singh IND 28:35.51 (SB)

20 1013 Anatoliy Rybakov RUS 28:42.28

21 1093 Ezekiel Jafari TAN 28:45.34

22 1137 Martin Toroitich UGA 28:49.49 (SB)

23 941 Rui Pedro Silva POR 28:51.40

24 143 David McNeill AUS 29:18.59 (SB)

25 690 Yuki Iwai JPN 29:24.12

These times are crazy!!!

My best timed run is the city to surf - 66:11. Im quite happy about it but there is definitely improvements that can be made. A friend of mine did it in 52mins. Now that is a great time. I dont think i'll ever get to that level.

52mins is about 3m40s/km which isn't bad at all, especially considering Heartbreak Hill and the undulating course.

Anyone see this ripper in the paper?

The big question hanging over 800m winner Caster Semenya: bloke or woman?

"Earlier in the day the governing IAAF had ordered the South African federation to perform more stringent investigations to determine whether Semenya is female, male or somewhere in-between after the tests carried out by the IAAF in recent days provided conflicting results and were unable to settle the matter."

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2009/08/20/1250362146133.html

52mins is about 3m40s/km which isn't bad at all, especially considering Heartbreak Hill and the undulating course.

Anyone see this ripper in the paper?

The big question hanging over 800m winner Caster Semenya: bloke or woman?

"Earlier in the day the governing IAAF had ordered the South African federation to perform more stringent investigations to determine whether Semenya is female, male or somewhere in-between after the tests carried out by the IAAF in recent days provided conflicting results and were unable to settle the matter."

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2009/08/20/1250362146133.html

What do they mean 'conflicting results...unable to settle the matter' ?

Isn't it as simple as just lifting the skirt to see if there is flange or penis, then if it's flange, double check with an ultra sound (or whatever scan) to see if there are ovaries/female reproductive organs, and if still in doubt do a DNA test for 'teh chromosome' thingyies?...ok I have no idea what I'm talking about :P