SleekSilvia

Street Legal Wheel size for an S13 Silvia

I have a couple of need to know asap questions as I was stopped by QLD Police last week and was given a defect notice (to front up at QT and have it checked)

1. apparently im missing a sticker which shows the factory type and wheel sizes, which they believe should be on the drivers side door jam...so where can I findone! QLD

2. street legal tyre sizes, I am running BSA 19" alloys with 225/35/19 tyres (80% tread)

I didnt have my front rego plate9personlalised Plate) on as well- that was in at PPQ getting re newed as it came from a faulty batch.

any ideas on both q's would be much appreciated. :S

as far as i know in nsw you have to be within 10% of the rolling diameter including tires (obviously), the maximum amount of width depends on how heavy the car is, for a 180sx its 1.5" wider and i think your only allowed 2" bigger wheels..

but pretty much anything can be engineered as long as teh wheel track is within a certain amount and the rolling diameter is within 10%.

Yeah what he said ^^^^^

Legally in QLD you can only go 2 wheel sizes bigger than the largest standard wheel that your Make and Model of car came out with. So if you had a Mazda 3 and it came with 14" Wheels but the Mazda 3 SP2 Came with 16" You could get 18" wheels

Dont knwo about other states! :blush:

read the rta guidelines

its NOT 10% larger rolling diameter its 15mm extra.

and there is no rule about how many inches extra your allowed in height only width.

also its not a law to have that sticker on the car as far as i know, because when they get old they fall off... also your car is an import meaning it may not have had to be on the car in japan. so it may have been never there.

..so this leads me to my next question.....who can certify on the Gold Coast...or are there other Gov departments I can ask....would a tyre and alloy shop be able to

are these stickers available...or not required......

Or who would be the best place to go to on the Gold Coast :S

yeah pretty sure you can only go as big as 17", and with the sticker if you want get someone to take a picture of theirs and print a similiar label and stick it on.

I have a couple of need to know asap questions as I was stopped by QLD Police last week and was given a defect notice (to front up at QT and have it checked)

1. apparently im missing a sticker which shows the factory type and wheel sizes, which they believe should be on the drivers side door jam...so where can I findone! QLD

2. street legal tyre sizes, I am running BSA 19" alloys with 225/35/19 tyres (80% tread)

I didnt have my front rego plate9personlalised Plate) on as well- that was in at PPQ getting re newed as it came from a faulty batch.

any ideas on both q's would be much appreciated. :S

check the glovebox or side of the glovebox as they sometimes stick them on there if not go see isassio or someone who complies silvias as they will have a tyre placard

i was told that you must go no bigger than 2 inches larger than the largest rim listed on the tyre placard for that specific car.

now, ive always heard people say that 17's are the largest legal size for a s13, but then i looked at my tyre placard and it lists both 15's and 16's, which leads me to believe that 18's ARE legal...

ive always been told that rolling diameter maybe some thing like others have said 10% or so, and wheel size no more then 2inchs larger.

also legalities concerning width according to what i read (rta website i think) is when u increase the track width (outer width between tires) as it can casue increase in load on the hubs or some such crap. think it is 2inch over all. although really they would need to know the offsets each to to work this out properly ? or know the standard track width and pull out thier tape measure.

all i know! is when i was gettin my defects checked out.. i asked the cop about that 2" crap!!! he said that you don't have to only go 2" bigger then standard...

and said a whole lot more but i can't remember what he said :|

I've always thought u were legaly only allowed to go up 2inches in rim size. I've seen on a few s13 tyre placards that they came with 16's as optional. Anyways sell those 19's if u cant get away with it and shove a good set of 17's on it.

By the way Dean ^^^ whats the colour code on the 180 in ur avatar? Im really lovin the colour.

The old 2inch rule change in QLD about 8 years ago. It is now total height of the tyre not being more than 15mm taller or 26mm short than the largest optional tyre, and no wider than 1.3 times the widest optional tyre offered from the factory.

As for the tyre placard (?SP) you can pick up a s14 one at nissan for a few dollars and it doesn't say anything about what car its for on it. I know it not the right thing to do but they are cheap and easy to come by and should get you out of trouble.

The old 2inch rule change in QLD about 8 years ago. It is now total height of the tyre not being more than 15mm taller or 26mm short than the largest optional tyre, and no wider than 1.3 times the widest optional tyre offered from the factory.

As for the tyre placard (?SP) you can pick up a s14 one at nissan for a few dollars and it doesn't say anything about what car its for on it. I know it not the right thing to do but they are cheap and easy to come by and should get you out of trouble.

Apparently you can only go 1" bigger then factory.... which means 16" legally.

my tyre placard list 16s.

if you dont have a sticker do what others have said and take a photo of one and get the sticker made.

the only trick here is get a pic of a 350z sticker. you'll be all sweet then

Everyone in this thread is talking absolute shit. If you don't live in Qld don't give the guy wrong information. What 1200ute said is exactly right, straight from Qld Transport:

The rim diameter may be varied from the standard size

but the overall diameter of the tyre must not vary by

more than +15mm or -26mm.

Also the tyre may be up to 1.3 times wider but not narrower than the smallest option for that car. Off the top of my head the stock tyre size for a Silvia is 205/60/15, so going to a 225/35/19 is 13mm larger diameter, so perfectly legal.

I didn't have a tyre placard in the last 2 or 3 imports i had, its no longer required for compliance as far as i recall.

i got defected in my silvia i have 18's on it. i HAD 235/45/18 on it and got defected i now have 225/35/18 and that is the max size wheel and tyre package you can run. The Copper from an actual anti hoon squad said i had to put my stock 15 inch rims back on.i disputed this with professional advice from bob jane and obviously he didnt have a fkn clue about wheel size at all.

Edited by sil.v.r

guess ima have 2 hope i dont get pulled over...new rims have 265x35x18 on the bak and 235x35x18 on the front.

It might be late to the original question, but i figure this may help others, i took a photo of my label for tyre/rim sizes on my s13  jdm silvia 1991. The biggest rim and tyre width on there is 7x16 225/50R16.

The label is a bit hard to read but its there.

20181010_115445.jpg