Sign in to follow this  
phee

NT Recommended Workshops

Follow this format to express your experience with NT workshops.

Workshop:

Car worked on:

What you had done:

How long ago was this?:

Overall opinion:

:)

This thread could turn to shit very quickly if people start slagging off workshops they don't think are worth their money, which is NOT the intention. I have had a few PM's over "what's wrong with this w/shop?" and "where should I get this done?" so I thought a thread like this could be better than just 1 persons point of view.

If you have had a bad experience with a w/shop then please let us know, but keep in mind there are always 3 sides to the truth: your side, their side and something in the middle. If you haven't had ANY experience with that w/shop but have only heard hear say, then please keep it to yourself. Unless you have actually had any dealings with them, keep your mouth shut.

NO PERSONAL ATTACKS!

Saying things like "So-and-so from where ever is a stupid dork!" is going to get you know where and make you look like an idiot, and if someone disagrees with you let them go, everyone has their own opinion.

NO FIGHTING!

...over "what happened". Take arguements over to PM, or better yet pick up the phone and get the other side of the story, and maybe it might expand your understanding a bit more.

BE MATURE ABOUT IT!

I really don't care how much money you lost, or how much power you gained, if you act like a child in here noone is going to take you seriously. Keep it in mind next time someone 'doesn't listen to you'.

ASK QUESTIONS!

If you want to know the best place to have a front mount put on, your car tuned, wheels aligned, then speak up... there should be enough experience between the lot of us that we can agree on a workshop or even help out to DIY. Good way to make new friends!

The only stupid questions are the ones that aren't asked! Keep it in mind and remember that we all had to start somewhere, and even though the answer could be common knowledge, once upon a time, we didn't know the answer either.

I really hope this thread lasts, it would be an excellent advertising tool for the workshops that work day in and day out to help us make our pride and joy's run the best that they can. I have seen threads like this go to shit very quickly on other forums, but I wouldn't be posting this one if I didn't think it could last.

Good luck everyone!

:wub:

Phee

Edited by phee

Workshop: Rev It Up Performance (RIU)

Car worked on: R33 Skyline

What you had done: Car stored, engine pulled out and put back in, new engine service and 1000kms service

How long ago was this?: May - October 2006

Overall opinion: Great guys and had no problem with how long my car was there for. Easy to talk to and have a realistic view of what can and can't be done to a car. I had a few problems with the radiator on the dyno (at JSM) and it looked like it hadn't been flushed when the new engine went in, but it was all fixed and am not going to hold it against RIU with the small time frame I gave them to get everything done once the engine was returned.

Workshop: McIvers

Car worked on: RB25GTST from an R33 Skyline

What you had done: Forged rebuild

How long ago was this?: September - October 2006

Overall opinion: They seemed really helpful and put my doubts of getting an engine rebuilt up here to rest. I was a bit frustrated on how long the engine sat in the shop without anything happening to it but once they got started it moved along fairly quickly. 1 mechanic worked on the bottom end and another did the head. The engine ran fine for 1,500kms until I put some pressure on it after I had her tuned, and then the head warped and was overheating like a bitch. After checking the torque settings at JSM, found the ARP studs ranged between 30 - 210 torque pressure which isn't all that good. McIvers are certain they torqued the studs up properly but I asked them if they did the 3 stage torque process needed for the engine and they said no.

Bottom line is, engine lasted 1500kms before needing another rebuild. When I get the failure analysis from Canberra I'll know where to point the finger of blame.

Workshop: JS Mechanical (JSM)

Car worked on: R33 Skyline

What you had done: Dyno tune, car stored, helped diagnose possible cause of damage to engine, and how it happened

How long ago was this?: October - December 2006

Overall opinion: A+++++ Will take my car there again! When Jason (the owner / manager of JSM) used to work at Karama I would go down there with my then b/f at the time and help out after school. He was always willing to teach me something new, and would give me a good reason on WHY something was done that way. Nothing has changed. Jason really knows his stuff, even if he is a little one sided about a few things, like what he thinks you should have done to your car (ie: NOS), you just need to tell him what you want and he'll do it if it is safe and within your budget. He doesn't like being stuffed around or in any political slader war between workshops, so he tries to keep his nose out of it which is another positive quality. When I was trying to work out why my engine failed, he would help out and let me borrow any tooling that I needed, and his mechanics that work for him are all equally as helpful.

The tune, even though was a MoTeC and Jase hasn't got much experience with MoTeC he picked it up really quickly learning from Dale, and with his Autronic experience, Jase knew his way around it no problems at all. Jase stayed back and left the workshop open for us even though he wanted to go home, which is dedication to his customers. He definatley has petrol running through his veins, and has built his w/shop from the ground up and is just about to expand cause they need more room, and their backlog of conversion work is already mid next year, which says something.

Edited by phee

^^Good idea :)

Workshop: Mcivers

Car worked on: Mitsubishi Scorpion 2.6L N/A

What you had done: Full engine overhaul, head port, cam change etc.

How long ago was this?:Around 2 years ago.

Overall opinion: Again took a while to be completed, but a very solid motor build using performance parts high quaility build for the $$$ spent. Engine wise never had a drama. (And for those who know me im pretty rough on my gear).

Lots of very helpful info given, i asked a lot of questions and got all the right answers.

Edited by BRAP WHOOSH

Workshop: Peckys car repairs and Dyno tune

Car worked on: Mitsubishi Scorpion.

What you had done: Tune on twin carbed pig.

How long ago was this?: Around 2 years ago

Overall opinion: Verry helpful. I drove my car there after having a set of 45mm sidedraft webbers rebuilt by a local business i will not name (to save the defamation), after driving in he sensed something wrong straight away. Pulled the carbs off the next day to find corrosion throughout, and after sending them to Perth to find they could not be re-coated, helped me out imensly with a set of recently rebuilt carbs he had sitting on the shelf (bargain price).

An aftermarket manifold was purchased to fit the carbs and after trying to set the linkages it was found that the face of the brand new manifold was warped. Back to Mcivers to face the manifold. He re-curved my distributor in house ( same as timing curves on a computer car but for a carby car), including setting the base advance idle and dialing it in for the cam, he would let me know if there was anything wrong that i could fix myself and let me use his shop (to try and save $$$), and if he wasnt 100% sure he has a library full of books that he refers to for information.

Helped me out a lot and spent the time to teach me, which i found very helpful.

Edited by BRAP WHOOSH

Workshop: JSMechanical

Car worked on: Numerous

What you had done: Hired Dyno / Assistance

How long ago was this?: Late '06

Overall opinion: Jason would have to be one of the nicest honest mechanics I've met, it is also reflected by the atmosphere in his shop and the selection of his staff. I spend a lot of time at workshops around the country, and besides the heat, JSM was my most pleasurable experience. Jason and I had many technical discussions whilst I was there, both 'testing' each others knowledge, as well as listening to each others different ideas, methods, and approaches.

In todays import age where a lot can be bought off the shelf, or customised to suit, it certainly takes an intelligent mechanic/technician who will think about the results desired and make a decision based on performance rather than profit. This is certainly something that Jason is good at.

Something that benefited me most from my visit to JSM was picking Jasons brains about Nitrous - NOS! Having never had much experience with Nitrous it was great to have someone with a wealth of knowledge who was happy to divulge ludicrous amounts of information on the subject. Having been interested on this topc for some time I had some very technical questions of which Jason had an answer for everything which he could easily explain in way that made it sound like common sense!

JSM FTW!

Sam, just a quick query. I had a question over PM about Jason's tuning ability. I can easily reply and say there aren't any problems with his knowledge in that area, but are you able to expand any maybe give a few insites to his capability?

It is worth its weight in gold coming from 1 tuner about another than from a customer.

I know Dale Heiler, from Castle Hill Exhaust in Sydney (10sec_rx7) said he felt completely comfortable with Jason and his tuning skills, but I was just wondering what your opinion on that aspect was?

Jason and I tune in a similar manner I believe - Safe!

Jason feels with the cars when he has them on the dyno, and every car is different, sounds different, likes different fuels etc... I would definately say that Jason has something special, and is in touch with the cars 'heart' and not just looking at the numbers on the screen...

It's hard to put a finger on, but I hope I got the picture across...

Jason and I tune in a similar manner I believe - Safe!

Jason feels with the cars when he has them on the dyno, and every car is different, sounds different, likes different fuels etc... I would definately say that Jason has something special, and is in touch with the cars 'heart' and not just looking at the numbers on the screen...

It's hard to put a finger on, but I hope I got the picture across...

Cheers for the info :thumbsup:

anyone got any idea's on how much jason charges for dyno tune?, and would he be able to tune my stock ecu on my ca18 180sx?

anyone got any idea's on how much jason charges for dyno tune?, and would he be able to tune my stock ecu on my ca18 180sx?

PM Dr Drift about that. He's coming up to Darwin very soon, and he's the man to talk to at the moment. However I do believe Jasons looking at getting the software and knowledge to be able to do so shortly off Sam (Dr Drift). I beleive Sam has prices on his website but from memory 'chipping' the ecu and a base map for the ca18det is about $350, and an hours dyno tune at jsm was $180. Dont take that as gospel but im pretty sure they were the prices.

Workshop: JNL Crankshaft Services.

Car Worked on: My engines in his shop at the moment

What you had done: He's currently measuring up suitability for a rebuild.

How long ago was this?: At Present

Overall opinion: Justin is a really good bloke to speak to. Looking into his workshop, its obvious that he's a very busy guy, yet he took the time to talk to me about what will be done to my engine (ca18det), and wat can be done to it.

Any engineering required on your engine locally ive heard hes the only one to speak to. I called an engineering shop in Brissy (mendham engineering) to get my rods and crank shot peened, the bloke down there even heard of Justin and said he does great work, and highly recommended him. The biggest problem is that its a long wait due to the work he has at the moment (however that suits me due to money constrictions :P)

A quick note to add however, is that Jason from JSM is another excellent bloke to talk to, taking time out to explain things and share his knowledge. Although i havent dealt with him yet with my car (i intend to with a Dr Drift remap ecu), he has a solid reputation for being a good tuner.

"11 Mile"

"Opposite BP Palms"

"On the highway between Darwin and Palmerston"

Really depends on how long you have been living in Dawin to know where abouts it is, but Cory has given you the address in your thread about working on your own car so if that doesn't help then type it into Google maps and go from there.

PS - Wer isn't a word ;)

hey guys finally decided to bring my car out of storage from brissy and bing it up to darwin ... altho is there and good power fc tuner in darwin is this jason man that you speak of can he do it ? it is hard enough to find one in brisbane ...

Last time JSM did a power FC tune (that i know of) he had to get DR drift to explain how to do so over the phone... its not a ECU hes familiar with (this isnt slander im serious, it was a friends car) the tune wasnt too bad tho. made much more power when sam come up and did a better job

However, High tech tuning on marlow road berrimah is very well known for doing power FC tunes, tho he only really does tuning these days, not to much on the mechanical front.

RX2RE is bringing up DR Drift to do tunes. so if you want to get your car tuned by him you can contact RX2RE.

I thought Jay was bringing him up? either way im in for a remap :D

im thinking of going to jsm. ive talked to jason and he seems like the type of bloke wholl tell it like it is. but hes prices are fairly hefty. but im also thinking of going back to HTT but im not sure.

im thinking of going to jsm. ive talked to jason and he seems like the type of bloke wholl tell it like it is. but hes prices are fairly hefty. but im also thinking of going back to HTT but im not sure.

wait for dr drift to do your ecu bro! remap should give you a bit most extra power

its moved to berrimah, kinda near kormilda

PM Dr Drift about that. He's coming up to Darwin very soon, and he's the man to talk to at the moment. However I do believe Jasons looking at getting the software and knowledge to be able to do so shortly off Sam (Dr Drift). I beleive Sam has prices on his website but from memory 'chipping' the ecu and a base map for the ca18det is about $350, and an hours dyno tune at jsm was $180. Dont take that as gospel but im pretty sure they were the prices.

Workshop: JNL Crankshaft Services.

Car Worked on: My engines in his shop at the moment

What you had done: He's currently measuring up suitability for a rebuild.

How long ago was this?: At Present

Overall opinion: Justin is a really good bloke to speak to. Looking into his workshop, its obvious that he's a very busy guy, yet he took the time to talk to me about what will be done to my engine (ca18det), and wat can be done to it.

Any engineering required on your engine locally ive heard hes the only one to speak to. I called an engineering shop in Brissy (mendham engineering) to get my rods and crank shot peened, the bloke down there even heard of Justin and said he does great work, and highly recommended him. The biggest problem is that its a long wait due to the work he has at the moment (however that suits me due to money constrictions :P)

A quick note to add however, is that Jason from JSM is another excellent bloke to talk to, taking time out to explain things and share his knowledge. Although i havent dealt with him yet with my car (i intend to with a Dr Drift remap ecu), he has a solid reputation for being a good tuner.

HOW DID YOU GO WITH YOUR REBUILD MATE ??? DO YOU RECOMEND THIS GUY FOR A SR20 REBUILD? CHEERS

Workshop: Concept Auto House

Car worked on: my sil, my 180 and missuses sil

What you had done:

my sil: installed hicas lockbar, camber arms, installed turbo timer, serviced, aircon

my 180: manual conversion, installed boost gauge, turbo timer, boost controller, rolled/flared guards, rear camber arms, fixed water leaks, serviced

missuses sil: sr20+t conversion, service, boost gauge and turbo timer, aircon, exhaust install

How long ago was this?: this year

Overall opinion: Best workshop in town!

who and where are they? i don't think i've heard of them.

hey, im new to darwin, ive recently brought a 180sx. im going to D&T performance next week to get it on the dyno and get some more power from it, has anyone been to these guys before?

a lot of peolpe will flame them, but there is nowhere in darwin you can go without mixed opinions. most people will tell you to go to dave at high tech tuning. every man for him self up here though. let us know how it went. :thumbsup:

I have Been to JSM a Few times with my land rover. I found Jason to be great with price, time and know how. I WILL be taking all of my cars there. BEST MONEY EVER SPENT