Sign in to follow this  
s13k's

Driveway problems

So my driveway is pretty long and its not that bad but at the beginning theres a sharp decent which really gets me.

Now Ive been living here ever since I had my S13 from day 1 and I scrape every single time.

What scrapes is the dump pipe and thats at the best of times the flanges of the exhaust and rails get it too.

Now the part of that driveway isnt my property so I cant do anything permanent. But I was wondering if there is a solution?

I just wanna go down my driveway straight and not scrape lol

Heres some photos (white area is where I scrape, right at the point at the dip)wioL93W.jpg

vZicbBo.jpg

NVuqFqe.jpg

Edited by s13k's

Run bigger wheels/tyres

Raise the car

Get the exhaust modified

I was more or so looking had what I could put down on the driveway.

Its not just me, even if my friends want to come over they need to park on the road..

Unfortunately the 15s are staying..

put down a heap of black plastic and put down concrete over it too level it, when you move out just break it up and get rid of it.

OR

RAISE THE CAR

put down a heap of black plastic and put down concrete over it too level it, when you move out just break it up and get rid of it.

OR

RAISE THE CAR

I could do this but the owners of the house we share the long as driveway with wont be too fond of this.. maybe a couple of thick wooden planks?

I'd be pissed if I shared a driveway with my neighbour and he put planks on the driveway. I'd tell the penut to lift his car or deal with it. Just dealwith it, that's living life low!

Just continue doing what your doing, hopefully in time it will wear the concrete(or your car) to a point it wont touch anymore.

Me personally, I just turn my music up real loud when I get near driveways. So far its working

But seriously, theres not much you can do. Its one of those things we learn to live with

Edited by JLTS13

Park your car on the hump with the ass see-sawing in the Air, Let your neighbours know how gangster low you are.

You really have no other option but to raise it a bit if you are sharing a house, otherwise i would just use some planks to make the incline more gradual.

btw how low of the ground is that sitting?

Edited by vstrdy

You really have no other option but to raise it a bit if you are sharing a house, otherwise i would just use some planks to make the incline more gradual.

btw how low of the ground is that sitting?

Lowest point is around ~ 5cm off the ground Id say.

legal is 10cm isn't it?

just raise it man... cmon you didnt need us to tell you to use planks of wood. surley your smart enough to work that out on your own.

• Downvote 2

I used to have the same issue at a house I rented a while ago, however the angle of the driveway was enough that my friend's [high] Subaru would scrape. My solution in my 180 was to approach the peak at a very sharp angle, and then turn hard to straighten the car as I passed over the peak. I would rarely scrape doing it that way.

Obviously in your case the issue is that the car is too low, and from memory it's too tight a gap to hit the peak at an angle, so you really only have a few options:

1. Planks of wood you lay down and remove each time you enter/exit.

2. Raise car.

3. Install airbags on the front to jack the car's height up specifically for this occasion

4. Change the exhaust pipe to clear the rails, then fabricate some bash/scrape plates to cover the affected sections of rail. You'll still scrape, but on a rebuildable or replaceable piece.

And the most eccentric idea I came up with...

5. Fabricate some small, straight-running roller dollies. Make some small platforms on straight wheels (think of the front wheels of garage jacks), with a removable chock so you can slowly drive the car onto them. The idea being that you can chock the dollies, drive onto them, roll the car over the top of the peak due to the raised frontal height and small wheelbase of the dollies, then chock them and reverse the car off them once clear. Keep them in the boot and do this whenever needed. To go to this extent of effort is rather ridiculous given how easy the other options are, but it would be a fun little project, so it could be worth doing for a laugh. You could probably get away with a very thick piece of wide construction pine, holes bored through the sides to hold axles, then simple metal wheels bolted on and square tube around the top to stop the wheel from coming off.

Edited by pmod

If it's not a big area, go hire a concete grinder

Don't raise the car 4x4 specs for pussies!

Edited by joe180sx

Get hold of heaps of old carpet or conveyor belt or weatherproof ply wood and build up the house side of the pitch in the driveway. Raising your car a cm or two or running a taller front tire could help.(like a 205/55/15 or 195/60/15 etc). Make sure you have permission and are not building a trip hazard or someone will sue you or the property owner.

your problem is your not low enough to be considered low life and not high enough to make drive way. your sportmax wheels are aids. your s13 looks clean though so it would be a massive shame if the chassis were to be bent or damaged because wannabehellaflush

get some 17 or 18 for better guard to wheel clearance for looks so you dont have to run so low to achieve the same look.. depending on wheels, your looks will be next level. i would recommend the usual TE37,CE28,WORKS,ADVAN etc..

Considering the scrape marks are straight and your not really that low indicates your not even going over it at any angle at all.

Try going up that path strip slightly then reversing back then heading in on the angle or get some 17's

my driveway is 3x as bad as yours and almost looks the same as the one across the road and i manage

your problem is your not low enough to be considered low life and not high enough to make drive way. your sportmax wheels are aids. your s13 looks clean though so it would be a massive shame if the chassis were to be bent or damaged because wannabehellaflush

get some 17 or 18 for better guard to wheel clearance for looks so you dont have to run so low to achieve the same look.. depending on wheels, your looks will be next level. i would recommend the usual TE37,CE28,WORKS,ADVAN etc..

Lol they arent that bad... Ive gotten alot of compliments even some guy in a Evo asking me in traffic what they were.

Ive got some SSR Longchamps in the same specs coming so yeah.. theyll be gone soon.

checker plate press bent/kinked at each end as appropriately needed and flush dyno bolt to create a reduced angle ramp was my thing but you might not be able to achieve this without consent In your situation.

Some great ideas in here though.

You need one of these bad boys

hqdefault.jpg

Honestly tho, looking at the arch in your driveway, pay for the driveway to be resurfaced with either your own time labour or someone else (which you will need to convince the owner), raise the car, or park on the street.

Planks/ramps LOL...

f**k the haters, 15s are baller on s chassis

besides, the height effect is all in the overall diameters, which you would want to keep normal anyway whether 15s or 18s, by increasing or decreasing sidewall height.

Edited by Skepticism

i get down your driveway without scraping. raise your car + phat kit hektik antaceptic

besides, the height effect is all in the overall diameters, which you would want to keep normal anyway whether 15s or 18s, by increasing or decreasing sidewall height.

So ball in my 2 grand car! Yerya. I'd get a concrete saw, cut out 40cm either side of the joint and re do the concrete flat.

Just put a stick of dynamite on the top of that Grand Canyon you have and there you go, happy days

Edited by lonawifabona

So ball in my 2 grand car! Yerya. I'd get a concrete saw, cut out 40cm either side of the joint and re do the concrete flat.

"Stop liking what I don't like" ;)

Edited by Skepticism