Sign in to follow this  
s13k's

Why do police ask me how long I've had my car for?

As per title, everytime I get pulled over I get asked how long I've had the car for.

I'm not sure why they always ask me this and they ask a lot of my other friends too.

What does it exactly achieve?

I'd like to know to, I always get asked this also.

I had the question once and it turned out that the last owner of my car had been busted for selling drugs!

Changing the plates helped!

Edited by joe180sx

I've always put it down to a type of maturity test, if you've had it a while and it's still straight/not heavily defected or crushed by now it might mean you're a half decent enthusiast.

I've always put it down to a type of maturity test, if you've had it a while and it's still straight/not heavily defected or crushed by now it might mean you're a half decent enthusiast.

I hope its this but I have a feeling its more to do with judging how many of the modifications on it you are aware of / responsible for.

Edited by JDMDaniel

I have a feeling its more to do with judging how many of the modifications on it you are aware of / responsible for.

I would be willing to wager on this. How many times do they hear "It was like that when i got it officer!".

Do they have a way to tell when the rego was swapped over in their cars? Perhaps it's also to see if you will tell the truth or not.

Wouldn't they already know this from running the plates on their database?

Probably just trying to see how honest you are.

Believe it or not, when i first got my S15 i got pulled over after a cop saw me kick it out on a side street. He asked me the normal "How long have you had it" question, i proceeded to explain that i just got the car (which i did) and that i was still getting used to a rear wheel drive car with this much power :P , he said he was going to book me for negligent driving and that i would receive the fine in the mail. A week later i got a letter in the mail saying that they had decided not to fine me, and that i should take it as an official warning which would not go on my record. I was dumbfounded. So who knows, maybe they give leniency to people who have just picked up an import and don't know the ropes yet. It seems more defiant if you are fully aware of the laws you are breaking and decide to break them anyway.

Prove ownership before they run the plates (they do that after you give them your licence)

Coming from an ex cop i work with

Yeah, most discussions I've had with cops as well as friends, have been little more than fishing expeditions on their part, trying to get something incriminating on you. If they don't really have anything much on you, then they need you to provide them with something.

For instance, I didn't have (and still don't) the steering column cover on, and was asked if I had the keys, to prove that I hadn't stolen the car. They did this after they had talked to me, checked my license and run the plates. Just fishing for anything that can be used against me for whatever purposes.

A pair of cops pulled my housemate over in his R34 the other day, with similar intentions. In his case, he took a legal right turn across traffic, gave it a little bit of throttle to avoid being hit by cars (obvious thing to do), and due to the rain and his cheap HD clutch, moved from stationary with a tiny chirp. Nothing fast or dramatic. Two cops in uniform who were walking along the sidewalk (given the location and it being 10pm at night, I have no idea why they were even there) ran into the middle of the road directly in front of his car, both turned on their LED flashlights and pointed them directly in his face, blinding him. He braked hard to avoid hitting them and because he couldn't see anything in front. They went to his window, and asked him "So where's the fire?", to which he replied "What are you talking about? Why did you stop me?", only to have them tell him to "stop being a smartarse" and that "when we get back to the station, if I see anything on your record, you'll be fined". Wrote down his license details and let him go.

So he went to the station and has entered a formal complaint, which is being treated quite seriously, because the Commander thought it was unacceptable for them to call him a smartarse. I kid you not. Guy didn't give a toss about the victimisation, blinding the driver at night with torches rated higher than headlights or running in front of his car with no signs or high-vis vests... he disapproved of their choice of language rather than their intentions or methods.

• Downvote 2

I had the question once and it turned out that the last owner of my car had been busted for selling drugs!

nothing to do with it Pete it's just cause you look dodgy lol

Fyi changing plates doesnt do a lot as they can go by VIN#

Edited by 180sxnit

Yep but their number plate recognition cameras and computer system works off plates not VIN#'s

Interesting responses.

I might add that as soon as I bought my car I changed the plates.

Also whenever they ask me I have to think about it since it's been so long and this one time the officer conviently said the "don't lie mate I can check on the computer".

So I do think it's the lying/telling the truth method.

You have to remember, that most of the time we are reduced to the lowest common denominator. We aren't the guy who bought the Silvia because we are a car enthusiast, we are the current affair portrayal of the hoon with an attitude. Its our task to convince them otherwise when you get pulled up for something.

Edited by JDMDaniel
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

That's just what they told me the reason they pulled me over and searched the car.

No it wasn't the 180!

Maybe a looked like a drugo after working a 20hour day and driving around a industrial area 2 in the morning!

...one time the officer conviently said the "don't lie mate I can check on the computer".

The following site is a good read.

http://www.legalaid.nsw.gov.au/publications/factsheets-and-resources/police-powers

Police have a lot of powers they can only enact where they "suspect" some wrongdoing. However they can "suspect" anybody, without justification or proof, of doing something on the list and effectively enact those powers at any time. So a heated debate around you not doing anything suspicious is not going to get you very far.

The golden rule is to be polite and answer any reasonable question with the minimum amount of information possible (yes and no go a long way). However if the questions start to get unreasonable, then let them know that you know you don't have to answer unless you are arrested.

For the "how long have you owned the car" question, I would simply answer "I am the legal owner of the car", assuming I was, which I suspect is what they really want to know. If they pushed the "how long" line of question I would answer "I would have to go through my old registration papers at home to give you that answer - but it's probably quicker if you look it up on the computer".

...one time the officer conviently said the "don't lie mate I can check on the computer".

http://www.legalaid....s/police-powers

Police have a lot of powers they can only enact where they "suspect" some wrongdoing. However they can "suspect" anybody, without justification or proof, of doing something on the list and effectively enact those powers at any time. So a heated debate around you not doing anything suspicious is not going to get you very far.

The golden rule is to be polite and answer any reasonable question with the minimum amount of information possible (yes and no go a long way). However if the questions start to get unreasonable, then let them know that you know you don't have to answer unless you are arrested.

For the "how long have you owned the car" question, I would simply answer "I am the legal owner of the car", assuming I was, which I suspect is what they really want to know. If they pushed the "how long" line of question I would answer "I would have to go through my old registration papers at home to give you that answer - but it's probably quicker if you look it up on the computer".

I would consider your answer 'i am the legal owner of the car' to be a bit of a deflection.

I mean, you should at least ball-park it so you come off as trying to be difficult.

I dont mind answering questions. Just was stumped why they always asked me lol.

Being polite is the best option from experience. I once got red labelled and I politely questioned police officers decision to red label me with 3 drunk friends in the car (me being designated driver) 30+km from home at 2am. He changed it to a yellow and let me off.

Other instances Ive avoided fines for defects and what not.

Its hard being a P plater with an exemption, once you show them the exemption their attitude becomes a few degrees worse.

But they shortly realize Im not some punk kid on his P's driving a prohibited car. Im well spoken, polite, clean driving record and very cooperative :thumb: helps alot

Edited by s13k's

I would consider your answer 'i am the legal owner of the car' to be a bit of a deflection.

I mean, you should at least ball-park it so you come off as trying to be difficult.

While I could answer the question for my S15 as it is a recent purchase, I really wouldn't have a clue beyond "years" for my daily, which I think would also be considered evasive. Also how you say something counts for a lot, sometimes more so than what you say. So the right blend of what and how avoids your answer looking like a deflection. Also the "I'm not really certain what you want" puzzled look while answering (with a questioning inflection at the end) may get you a second chance if you cut the information too thin.

I would also like to add, just because you legally don't have to answer a question doesn't mean you shouldn't. Each person has their own level as to how much information they will volunteer, and you need to apply your own judgement and values. If they can find the information in 5 seconds on the computer, then you just look difficult by withholding.

http://www.legalaid....s/police-powers

I'd definitely want to answer to their satisfaction TBH, even if not absolutely legally required. Obviously won't answer ridiculous stuff but it's uncommon to be asked anything that I would really be uncomfortable answering.

Doing otherwise directly contravenes Skepticism's #1 Rule Of Not Getting Assf**ked By The Police... which is be nice and give them what they f**king want (within reason).

I'm not some human rights crusader. I don't have anything to prove to the cops, plus they don't give a shit if they only have a sketchy legal basis for asking me something. I'm just a dude who drives a questionable car who wants to go home without thousands of dollars in fines, or a baton up the arse. That's my priority, I'd rather fight where I have a chance of winning (reform of automotive laws through social media, public action, whatever)

So if they ask me how long I've owned the car, I tell them. If they ask where I'm going, I tell them. Then they RBT me and I drive off afterwards with my anal dignity intact. Does it suck? Maybe, but the alternative's worse

Edited by Skepticism

Cbf reading posts but it's the easiest way to catch out stolen cars that haven't been listen stolen.

Totally agree with you Skepticism; the goal is not to fight the system, but to walk away without issues. My approach to this is to never assume the cop asking me questions has good intentions, and for the majority of times I've been pulled over this has held true. Sure, it's smart to answer their questions and seem friendly, but you have to be extremely careful with your phrasing and mannerisms. There is an ideal balance between appearing genuine and non-threatening, whilst not painting an 'easy victim' target-sign on your head.

Cops are trained and experienced in dealing with punks and hardcases, but they get very wary the moment they think they'll be sued should they overstep the boundary of their legal power. One of the reasons young guys and bogans have so many more issues with cops than older men is simply due to income and experience.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I remember that time a guy posted a thread about how to deal with cops, because he was always getting fines and defects.

someone asked him what he was doing when talking to the police

literally replied 'well I pull over, get out of the car and approach the police vehicle and ask them what i am doing wrong'

Sounds more like a guide to getting shot...

:Drugs:

I know a guy who does the exact same and has gotten off 6 speeding fines so far within the last 2 years. However he is in his 60's but that shouldn't matter

• Downvote 4

Sounds more like a guide to getting shot...

:Drugs:

I read that you get out too, I've had a gun pulled on me and abused several times for getting out. Especially if ya on a dangerous rd like a highway ect. Just sit in ya car and cop it, if ya weren't doing anything wrong there won't be a problem, if u were sit there and shut up lol.

I got out once , I was getting on the M4 at church st Parramatta I thought there was a broken down car cause every one slowed right down and stated changing lanes. frustrated I pulled into the far lane and gave it a bit of a hit , then I see the cops and witches hats . A a cop pointed at me and yelled to pull over. I pulled over about 15 meters up the st got out of my car straight away and started marching back toward the cops yelling at them , what dfug are you doing standing in the middle of a motorway on ramp your gonna cause an accident , your gonna get some one killed etc I got about 7 meters away the cop said get back in you car and Go!.

I think I was lucky that they were all already busy with cars pulled over for RBT

later realised how stupid what I had done was, the main reason I got out was I didn't want them to come near the car and see it was still half pulled apart as I had literally only just taken it out of the spray booth 2 hrs before and it had no door handles , wiper blades 1/4 windows etc.

Have never seen the cops there again though lol

Edited by gomanji

A pair of cops pulled my housemate over in his R34 the other day...

Well an update to this. Cops got back to my housemate about the officers involved in this, and he was told that the main offender is now in a bit of trouble. How much of this is true we'll never know, as my friend was fine for them to deal with it internally, as he really just wanted the cop to understand that his actions were morally questionable and incredibly dangerous.

Also, what's with the random negative votes people? The NS I remember liked opinions and anecdotes...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I've always given them the month and year I registered it in my name.

Oh and on the topic of getting out of the vehicle, I always get out.

There's an old trick that police will feel superior looking down at you and getting out of the car standing up gives you a better chance of leaving with nothing.

Another good trick is to pull into a side street off a busy road or into a car park.

I was asked why I didn't immediatly stop and kept driving into a car park which I replied, So you aren't standing in traffic where you could get injured. Checks license and off I went.

Common courtesy goes a long way in the law.