Sign in to follow this  
Shadow_Matrix

Is the car scene better now or was it better ten years ago?

im only 21 now but I remember going to meets/shows when I was ten and it was just so boring looking at the auto salon style of cars just seemed like a waste of money to me, that's just my impression of the scene back then

You have absolutely no idea then.

You're not expected to obviously, but back then we had Shell west tce via Anzac hhighway to magic mountain car park and back just for a start.

It was basically power cruise all night every weekend.

Then the packed industrials like JMS square/regency/Cavan and Lonsdale etc.

Dawn cruises to the Murray for bbreakfast.

Could go on for ever but autosalon was never a depiction of how good things were.

• Upvote 1

Early to mid 2000s was the highlight of the car scene in Adelaide, that's for sure; well for people into jap/modified cars. I wasn't around for the car scene in the 70s, 80s or 90s, so who knows.

Every Friday night was cruise night. You didn't need to worry about who was going out, texting people, creating a Facebook event, etc. 8pm-9pm you either met up at Shell west tce/Freedom or did laps of of Anzac hwy until you found a group of 50-100 cars. Then it was a thrash up Greenhill, then back to the industrial areas like Cavan or Garden Island for skids. Cops would sometimes drive through for a look, and if there was burnout smoke lingering around, they would simply ask you to move on to a different spot.

Edited by steveP
  • Upvote 1

Words can not describe how neutered the car scene had become.

I don't know about other state but 10 years ago South East Queensland had a wicked car scene. From the massive turn outs at Broad water car park and Milton McDonalds which eventually turned into Springwood McDonald after some racing down the M1. To he mega 1-3am 300+ rolling blockade street racing down the M1 and I think it was the M5. The scene was popularized with Ignition DVDs filled with drug dealers and their expensive blingy rides, with massive stereos, atmospheric bovs and flashy paint jobs. The Autosalon would attract thousands of cars modified in every way imaginable and late at night on random roundabouts in back roaded areas cars would meet up to drift largely uninterrupted, or if the cops did come they would just tell you to leave not try and fine everyone.

The only defects you really had to worry about were bald tyres and ride height. You'd cop a slap on the wrist for burn out and there was no need to pull over if you were caught street racing the cops only drove V6 commodores but they were easy to spot from miles away anyway so this wasn't something you needed to do often.

Almost everyday you would race off from the light against another Jap import or something domestic with a Holden or Ford badge and it wasn't a big deal,

Honestly I would watch street racing news stories about the USA and even today (as their rights are protected by a constitution) and always think "We do it better in Australia"

Obviously this had stop in time, and the anti hooning laws and P plate laws really restricted what cars kids could drive. This quickly turned a scene that was about driving your cars and enjoying your cars to a scene that was all about hard parking and taking photographs. Not to mention the scene really neutered itself, all of a sudden everyone wanted to abide by the law, if you were caught reving your engine or doing a skid you were shunned for doing something that is synonymous with 'cars'

Over all however our behavior 10 years ago was no different than what our cousins and our parents were doing 10 and 20 years before us. But with movies like Fast and Furious it brought A LOT more people to the car scene and therefore a lot more attention from the public and authorities. However it was all rather dangerous and I'm not surprised it all got stopped.

Todays car scene imo is about as exciting and as interesting as watching the grass grow and if you are still really into cars the place to go is the track. People still build fast and powerful cars but instead of taking them our and showing them off on a Thursday night they take them to Test N Tune at willowbank or compete for bragging rights at Powercruise or a drift day.

Honestly I really feel for todays generation of car enthusiasts, as my words really don't breath into life what it was like to be a petrol head 10 years ago. But then again I'm sure every generation probably says that.

Fun can still be had in a car today but it usually comes at the cost of admission rather than a fine as fines these days are as expensive as your car.

Edited by Shakey Bones

Early to mid 2000s was the highlight of the car scene in Adelaide, that's for sure; well for people into jap/modified cars. I wasn't around for the car scene in the 70s, 80s or 90s, so who knows.

Every Friday night was cruise night. You didn't need to worry about who was going out, texting people, creating a Facebook event, etc. 8pm-9pm you either met up at Shell west tce/Freedom or did laps of of Anzac hwy until you found a group of 50-100 cars. Then it was a thrash up Greenhill, then back to the industrial areas like Cavan or Garden Island for skids. Cops would sometimes drive through for a look, and if there was burnout smoke lingering around, they would simply ask you to move on to a different spot.

Just reading that brought back some good memories.

^ definitely and also good place to catch up and pump tunes and eat maccas LOL

I remember back in the days, used to meet up with a few of the silvia boys, I would crank tunes for a few hours out of the car then we would hit up Old Pac OR RNP then call it a night.

No cops, no Hondas.

^ definitely and also good place to catch up and pump tunes and eat maccas LOL I remember back in the days, used to meet up with a few of the silvia boys, I would crank tunes for a few hours out of the car then we would hit up Old Pac OR RNP then call it a night. No cops, no Hondas.

Why are those homo Hondas so popular all of a sudden.....

Who the fuark knows.. every single one has a few hectic tow hooks and stupid socks over their reservoirs... I put my car on the track and abuse the shit out of it and I don't have any socks or tow hooks on my car.

I don't understand.

^ definitely and also good place to catch up and pump tunes and eat maccas LOL I remember back in the days, used to meet up with a few of the silvia boys, I would crank tunes for a few hours out of the car then we would hit up Old Pac OR RNP then call it a night. No cops, no Hondas.

Why are those homo Hondas so popular all of a sudden.....

P plate laws, being affordable, NA, etc

lol, there's a dude on a facebook group here called JDMsa. he has a shitty civic, you know the regular mods, deep dish steering wheel, bc coils, rotas, NON VTEC...

and he's bought himself a fking commodore as a daily, so yes, a car that burns twice the ammount of petrol to drive daily.

can anyone spell idiot any better?

maybe his turning the civic into a track K24 car? wishful thinking..

i remember why i got into cars, cause my uncle use to pick me, brother and cousin up to go to the drags.. this was when 12sec street cars were considered fast, he having a 12sec 180sx himself

the one night i'll never forget was a drag night near where powertune's old place use to be. my uncle and a s13 guy raced and it was close, but the s13 guy kept losing by an inch (or a mile, but winning is winning right?) s13 guy kept nagging for a re runs so my uncle gave in and said i'll race you then im going home, so we all jumped into his 180, a full car load, raced the s13 guy and beat him by a whole lot too, then as takumi does after his touge races, we just drove off into the moon light home bound, letting the s13 guy to burn in his own discouragement.

nowadays there's speed humps along all the long straight roads there. haha

maybe his turning the civic into a track K24 car? wishful thinking..

i remember why i got into cars, cause my uncle use to pick me, brother and cousin up to go to the drags.. this was when 12sec street cars were considered fast, he having a 12sec 180sx himself

the one night i'll never forget was a drag night near where powertune's old place use to be. my uncle and a s13 guy raced and it was close, but the s13 guy kept losing by an inch (or a mile, but winning is winning right?) s13 guy kept nagging for a re runs so my uncle gave in and said i'll race you then im going home, so we all jumped into his 180, a full car load, raced the s13 guy and beat him by a whole lot too, then as takumi does after his touge races, we just drove off into the moon light home bound, letting the s13 guy to burn in his own discouragement.

nowadays there's speed humps along all the long straight roads there. haha

there are several straight streets without humps in Wetherill Park (shhhhh) .. I use them to street tune my car and other cars, it's long enough to wind out 3rd gear and brake safely.

Edited by Johnnilicte

Street tuning rules. I love hearing old(er) stories. Mate was telling stories about the old days where he used to do third gear pulls in airds road at 1am, pull over, check his wideband and data logger, make notes on his printed spreadsheets, then go home and write a new map and burn the new chips. Wait til the next night and go do the same, with the revised tune.

Closest I've seen to that was john buying an adaptronic from me and setting it up outside my house. Spun me right out haha.

Laws only get stricter as time goes on, so things have only become worse.

at a cultural level, shit is whack. meets are a bunch of hard parking 'teams' and all anyone cares about is pictures of their car.

ultimately US culture is taking over and its less about driving and more about looking cool. there is nothing wrong with the latter, but applying it to machines meant to be driven (and by applying to that ethos, ultimately ruining the cars driving ability) is something that makes me mad. I hope when I sell my car it goes to someone whos going to drive it every day and enjoy it, rather than slam it, clip gutters/trees, f**k the body work and throw another smashed car on the wreckers pile.

There was a time when you would buy a wreck, fix it up and make it special. now its the reverse, and I think that is truly a shame. No one is willing to put time into making something complete, something finished. its all about missiles and pigs and being proud of owning a shitbox because you dont care about it.

The cops, the ACA/Today tonight rubbish, The tough laws on hoons, I can take all that. What I cant take is someone buying a nice car and f**king it up, writing it off and then buying another and starting again. Sooner or later there will be none left.

I dunno, I probably sound like an old fart (and at 28 I probably am) but there is a lot to be learned from the muscle car guys I think. you are only going to get respect from the cops/community when you respect your car.

I saw on one of the police facebook pages that some they booked some p plater doing 140km/h on the hume highway outside of goulburn. My first thought was "eh", then I saw the comments. *milkshakes* are VEHEMENT about it. Demanding the kids car be crushed and he gets a driving ban for 10 years. Like... what? Are they that f**king sheltered? Most common response was HOW DARE HE PUT MY LIFE IN DANGER. FUUUUUUUU

I have no hope of it getting better in this country.

• Upvote 2

Doesn't change the fact he can't drive and is putting ever one at risk.

But I tthink with the current laws they should have also made a autobahn style free way to balance it

I saw on one of the police facebook pages that some they booked some p plater doing 140km/h on the hume highway outside of goulburn. My first thought was "eh", then I saw the comments. *milkshakes* are VEHEMENT about it. Demanding the kids car be crushed and he gets a driving ban for 10 years. Like... what? Are they that f**king sheltered? Most common response was HOW DARE HE PUT MY LIFE IN DANGER. FUUUUUUUU

All I can think of..

And I personally want to punch every one of them in the throat.

I agree with safe roads and driving etc by the way, but there's a point where it just gets ridiculous.

But I tthink with the current laws they should have also made a autobahn style free way to balance it

Or apply any sort of intelligence to the matter, really. I'm not advocating p platers go do skids in school zones, but I can't stand the knee jerk reaction of SPEED = EXTREME DANGER.

I wouldn't need a dyno if we had a an autobahn style road.. that would be mad, 4th gear pulls

• Upvote 1

What's the speed limit there?

Why was it so significant that a police page had to report it?

I got caught doing 140 too, just paid the fine and got it over and done with lol.

Btw no "lives at risk" or danger ffs, was like 3am coming back from Newcastle on the F3 in a 110 zone.

140 in a 110 zone. 5.50am. Kid lost his license for 3 or 6 months on the spot, $815 fine. And precious *milkshakes* were saying he should have a 10 year driving ban and crush his excel to teach him a lesson. R U 4 SRS? I wish the laws in this country were upside down, so that speeding was something that older gent's got away with, and drink driving was a punishable offense.

140 in a 110 zone. 5.50am. Kid lost his license for 3 or 6 months on the spot, $815 fine. And precious *milkshakes* were saying he should have a 10 year driving ban and crush his excel to teach him a lesson. R U 4 SRS? I wish the laws in this country were upside down, so that speeding was something that older gent's got away with, and drink driving was a punishable offense.

This is exactly my point, it doesn't affect them. Thank you.

NOW I bet half these fűcking Cűnts talk text or browse on the phone whilst driving, throw litter out the Window, do their make up or steer with their knees trying to eat while driving etc etc.

Yet it's the old "it wasn't me in hot water so ima grab the pitchfork" bull shit.

Edited by brent47
  • Upvote 2

Very much agree. The foolish old farts that harp on about the extreme danger of something minor, deserve a solid bitch slap. I try to educate the nonsense to which you're referring Dean when it's said around me, but the arrogance of some of those people is astounding. They're the first to scream murder when they get caught for something too.

The scene is still alive, it's hidden and a little smarter. Example, went on an evo cruise the other night, 50 plus Evos, few gtrs and 2 Silvia's :). Did a cruzie from Brisbane through some mountains for 4 hrs stopping along the way. This was all done at speed while everyone was still remaining reasonably safe. There page is a secret type page on Facebook to keep police and everyone else they don't want away. On this page you can ask who's regularly crusing and there is always something happening. After a mate was excepted on the page we haven't stopped. Everything these days is more secretive and concentrated in small areas

I miss the car scene back then,

For me it was in the Sunshine Coast qld,

We were all between 17-21 every one broke with shit heap cars,

Some one would dump deisel down so we could lose traction,

Dragging down a 1km industrial estate road,

Each car slower then the next.. I had a v8 xa falcon, cousin had a ke70 1.3l ,

Dunga old commy's, some 12a rotors, no one had any sort of power and no one cared.

Back then a friend was a patrol cop and would let us know how many cars were rotating Noosa and

If it was him.

Now with time a lot of my old mates have good track/drag cars and I don't think we have any more fun.

Some one dropped macca's trays before.. Haha an old laser would put anything to shame with those suckers.

• Upvote 1

We own Silvia's we don't have to say we are hoons. My fat bald tyres and my bad attitude says it for me Ahah.