Sign in to follow this  
Shadow_Matrix

Is the car scene better now or was it better ten years ago?

Just in general, which era is/was better? Were cops less of a hassle ten years ago? Was there a bigger community ten years ago? More cruises?

Way more on the goldcoast 10yts ago. Night n day difference.

there's hardly ever cruises in vic anymore. it's all about having meets at either a car wash, mcdonalds or a kebab shop, while wearing snap backs, tight jeans and a t-shirt with the logo "illest" "yolo" or "swag"

it was better 5 years ago, not sure about 10 as i wasn't driving back then.

• Upvote 1

10 years ago.

An Impound used to be a 77 dollar failure to maintain control of vehicle.

That was if you were unlucky, most cops would come and tell you it's time to move to another industrial area instead of shutting everything down and booking everyone.

Oh and we had sleepers galore running between the city and the bay into the early morning.

Carparks in the cbd that you could rock up to at any time on a week end aafternoon already packed with car people.

10 years ago for sure. As Stuss15 said, on the Gold Coast we'd have hundreds of cars turn out at the Broadwater every weekend, you could go for a weekend cruise in the hinterland with 20 friends without stressing. There was plenty of dyno comps, workshop meets, etc because people weren't too scared to bring out their cars. There was still plenty of defecting going on, but the consequences weren't as harsh. 10 years ago this was my daily driver, though I did lose my licence in it from defects.

Justdavepic1.jpg

f**kwits have f**ked the car scene.

The police/RTA have only reacted to it.

No they haven't, times have changed. It hasn't helped but it's now cool to sip lattes do steroids and other gay shit lol

• Upvote 1

Quoted for truth

We should all remember the autosalon days where the bigger chrome wheels you had the cooler you were.

I guess as a community aspect, yes it was better. I mean look at forums now? they are dead.

But in terms of taste and car choice? god no. These days cars from the japanese 90's golden era are affordable enough for a first car so theres alot less ricers in charades out there and more quality cars.

P plate laws that came into effect shifted many people into the terrible Honda scene aswell which is a shame.

+1 for 10 years ago I didn't drive but cruise's and meets back then were bigger and higher quality cars as they were more expensive and people looked after them more than they do now. Thrash and move on seems to be the go for a lot of people nowadays

Agree big time with barbie princess, The average "car enthusiast" these days cares more about fashion and cool words to stick on there cars then actually going and having fun in them.

Quoted for truth

That's not true at all and I believe that perception is what's progressively making the car scene worse.

The number of *richard cranium* related deaths/crashes/bystander deaths/injuries/etc has actually decreased. Even 10 years ago it was decreasing. P platers are contributing less to the road safety statistics per capita than ever before, yet the constant perception is that things are always getting worse, that P platers are more retarded now than ever. The truth is that you're all getting old and forgetting the thing that shit you most when you were at P plater age: Old people. Just like the old people of my P plate days being afraid of anyone who wore a hoodie, anyone older than current P plate age sees the new generation as obnoxious idiots wearing stupid flat brimmed snapbacks and fluro nipple shirts. The only difference now is that gutter journalism isn't just on ACA/TTN, it IS mainstream media. Attention grabbing bullshit that nobody used to care about 20 years ago is all of a sudden the only thing you can see anywhere. People haven't become any more stupid, everything around them has become more stupid and it's hard for critical thought to survive in circumstances where people are exposed to that kind of mindless shit for so long.

The same argument that 'people are more interested in being seen than being a "true enthusiast" with a powerful car' is no different to what hotrodders said about us on our P's, when we were f**king around with 4 cylinder fart boxes while they were messing with 'epitome of manliness' v8's that made less power. And STILL, those stupid bastard wonder why nobody builds hotrods any more! When they were 16 (and there were no P plates, nor was the world going to fall apart at any second), YOU COULD ONLY AFFORD TO BUY CARS THAT YOU COULD TURN INTO A HOTROD! When we were 16 YOU COULD ONLY AFFORD AN NA S13, A SHITTY CIVIC OR A THRASHED OUT FAMILY CAR! NOTHING has changed except people's perceptions while we wade in this narcissistic view that the generation we belong to somehow stands out from the others and we're facing all these problems that no other generation has seen before.

What's more, "hooning" does not exist. it's some made up human bullshit that's completely unquantifiable in order to satiate the demand for the latest moral panic to be outlawed before the world falls apart. Want hooning to go away? Stop talking about hooning. Stop using the word. Stop acknowledging people who use the word. Do not engage with dickheads who judge everyone from their armchair, or the "mothers against everything" brigade. Turn off your TV, go outside and see the world as it IS, not as it's presented to you.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

[quotin name=pyro' timestamp='1397373314' post='2088591185]

Quoted for truth

That's not true at all and I believe that perception is what's progressively making the car scene worse.

The number of *richard cranium* related deaths/crashes/bystander deaths/injuries/etc has actually decreased. Even 10 years ago it was decreasing. P platers are contributing less to the road safety statistics per capita than ever before, yet the constant perception is that things are always getting worse, that P platers are more retarded now than ever. The truth is that you're all getting old and forgetting the thing that shit you most when you were at P plater age: Old people. Just like the old people of my P plate days being afraid of anyone who wore a hoodie, anyone older than current P plate age sees the new generation as obnoxious idiots wearing stupid flat brimmed snapbacks and fluro nipple shirts. The only difference now is that gutter journalism isn't just on ACA/TTN, it IS mainstream media. Attention grabbing bullshit that nobody used to care about 20 years ago is all of a sudden the only thing you can see anywhere. People haven't become any more stupid, everything around them has become more stupid and it's hard for critical thought to survive in circumstances where people are exposed to that kind of mindless shit for so long.

The same argument that 'people are more interested in being seen than being a "true enthusiast" with a powerful car' is no different to what hotrodders said about us on our P's, when we were f**king around with 4 cylinder fart boxes while they were messing with 'epitome of manliness' v8's that made less power. And STILL, those stupid bastard wonder why nobody builds hotrods any more! When they were 16 (and there were no P plates, nor was the world going to fall apart at any second), YOU COULD ONLY AFFORD TO BUY CARS THAT YOU COULD TURN INTO A HOTROD! When we were 16 YOU COULD ONLY AFFORD AN NA S13, A SHITTY CIVIC OR A THRASHED OUT FAMILY CAR! NOTHING has changed except people's perceptions while we wade in this narcissistic view that the generation we belong to somehow stands out from the others and we're facing all these problems that no other generation has seen before.

What's more, "hooning" does not exist. it's some made up human bullshit that's completely unquantifiable in order to satiate the demand for the latest moral panic to be outlawed before the world falls apart. Want hooning to go away? Stop talking about hooning. Stop using the word. Stop acknowledging people who use the word. Do not engage with dickheads who judge everyone from their armchair, or the "mothers against everything" brigade. Turn off your TV, go outside and see the world as it IS, not as it's presented to you.

f**king this! ^

Why do people call younger people f**k wits just because they aren't doing the same shit we did.

Times change, trends come and go. Accept it and Move on. Other wise you'll end up being another one of those f**k wits we hated in our early 20s

• Upvote 1

Ohhhhh the olden days.. How I miss thee..

I'm 26 now.. Back when I was 18/19, The scene in Vic was crazy. You could go out for a cruise, or drive and not have to worry so much about the Police. I remember the days of the Vic West Meets and the crazy drifting going on with some un-named DA/ADGP etc. drivers... How a cop would come and catch you skidding and you'd usually all bail and not worry a bit. You could do a large mass crew, Have Police there, And they generally wouldn't give a shit because you were in a pack and they couldn't break you up. The days where you could drive a slammed S13/S14/S15/Skyline/Chaser, WIth cage, Buckets, 300kw(Which was HOOOOGE back then) and you'd love life, Not a care in the world.

Nowadays, You are targeted..

So yes, Back 10 years ago if not a bit less when I was coming up, The scene was a whole lot better.

10 years ago the car scene was better and here is why,

there is no car scene now.

As pissed as I used to be about the police cracking down on hoons, im happy things worked out the way they did.

I am 30 now, married and have a baby.

Hearing some prick drive past at night with bass pumping sucks when you just put a baby to sleep.

And exhausts are the worst, hearing a na 1.6 civic with a Canon driving a auto.

Edited by Wrexy

The cost of cars plays a big factor. 10 years ago an SR20DET S13 would be $15K, S14s were low to mid 20s and the cost to mod these cars were equally expensive without all the eBay China fling flong brands of today. This meant you had to be reasonably mature with a decent job to get into the hobby of modifying jap cars.

Nowadays with turbo S13s under $5k, anyone can pretty much buy them. Which means they're now in reach of welfare bogans and immature little shits trying to impress their mates.

I'm sure in 10 years' time the euro car scene will be having a similar discussion about when A4s and M3s used to be for car enthusiasts but are now driven by P platers with hashtag stickers on the windows.

Edited by steveP

10 years ago the car scene was better and here is why,

there is no car scene now.

As pissed as I used to be about the police cracking down on hoons, im happy things worked out the way they did.

I am 30 now, married and have a baby.

Hearing some prick drive past at night with bass pumping sucks when you just put a baby to sleep.

And exhausts are the worst, hearing a na 1.6 civic with a Canon driving a auto.

Ahah none of that has changed. U just got old lol

The cost of cars plays a big factor. 10 years ago an SR20DET S13 would be $15K, S14s were low to mid 20s and the cost to mod these cars were equally expensive without all the eBay China fling flong brands of today. This meant you had to be reasonably mature with a decent job to get into the hobby of modifying jap cars.

Nowadays with turbo S13s under $5k, anyone can pretty much buy them. Which means they're now in reach of welfare bogans and immature little shits trying to impress their mates.

I'm sure in 10 years' time the euro car scene will be having a similar discussion about when A4s and M3s used to be for car enthusiasts but are now driven by P platers with hashtag stickers on the windows.

That makes no sense as to why the car seen was better 10yrs ago. I'd say fast and the furious had everything to do with it ahah

Car scene is gaids now.. let's all install massive tow hooks, buy designer labelled sweat bands for our reservoirs and run wanked up dim sim ling long stretched tyres... awesome.

10 years ago, more cruises, cops gave you less crap, more naughty street drags.

These days it's about hanging out at the car wash and discussing how hectic each other's tow hooks are and how much "tuck" they can get with their dim sim wheels with ling long tyres.

sigh.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Now days you're treated like a criminal for having a modified car.

'Nuff said.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

This arvo I was sitting down at a cafe and there was a subie across the road with the whole leb spec thing going on (very big chrome rims, a multi colour paint scheme, queen st racing sticker), I thought ''wow, I never see cars like this anymore.''

I know the consensus on here is that those cars are ghey and we're glad they're gone but I actually miss the variety of bombastic bright coloured, undoubtedly illegally modified street cars that I used to see around, and they used to make up a big part of my local car scene and attract both girls and guys.

I don't see much outrageous stuff anymore, every car that I see looks to be purposely done up as a clone of some JDM thing with good stance they saw online and it's all very blokey.

Probably has something to do with where I live and the places I go and I could be dead wrong but all the hot spots in my town used to be filled with all types of ricey and modified cars (like a scene from fast and furious) and they're almost non-existent now. Seems like the cops scared all of us (the older generation) away and the coast is clear again.

Edited by Spazo
  • Downvote 1

This arvo I was sitting down at a cafe and there was a subie across the road with the whole leb spec thing going on (very big chrome rims, a multi colour paint scheme, queen st racing sticker), I thought ''wow, I never see cars like this anymore.''

I know the consensus on here is that those cars are ghey and we're glad they're gone but I actually miss the variety of bombastic bright coloured, undoubtedly illegally modified street cars that I used to see around, and they used to make up a big part of my local car scene and attract both girls and guys.

I don't see much outrageous stuff anymore, every car that I see looks to be purposely done up as a clone of some JDM thing with good stance they saw online and it's all very blokey.

Probably has something to do with where I live and the places I go and I could be dead wrong but all the hot spots in my town used to be filled with all types of ricey and modified cars (like a scene from fast and furious) and they're almost non-existent now. Seems like the cops scared all of us (the older generation) away and the coast is clear again.

I know what you mean.

Even queen st are pumping out "JDM" cars (I hate using that term).

Maybe it's a good thing?

Quoted for truth

That is the most Intelligent thing I have read on this forum, I tip my hat to you sir!

I was born ten years too late. sad.png

I think I'm in the same boat as you mate

Car scene is gaids now.. let's all install massive tow hooks, buy designer labelled sweat bands for our reservoirs and run wanked up dim sim ling long stretched tyres... awesome.

10 years ago, more cruises, cops gave you less crap, more naughty street drags.

These days it's about hanging out at the car wash and discussing how hectic each other's tow hooks are and how much "tuck" they can get with their dim sim wheels with ling long tyres.

sigh.

Talking from the younger generation the reason we do all these little pathetic things is because that is what we have been resorted to do for modifications due to defects. It has become a lot harder today to modify your car and keep it on the road then what it was 10yrs ago.

If we were able to do more cruises and naughty drags without being harassed by cops we would but instead we hang out at the car wash and discuss how hectic each other's tow hooks are and how much "tuck" we can get. Unfortunately that's all we can do without being harassed.

• Downvote 2

I was born ten years too late. :(

You didn't miss anything.

If you think being a car enthusiast is about hanging in car parks with big groups of (mostly) dickheads then I think you're missing the point.

Being a car enthusiast is about driving and if you love it you'll do it on your own and enjoy it for yourself. Go put an exhaust, diff and coils on a 180 and go kick the clutch in the rain (where no one can see you).

• Downvote 1

I was born ten years too late. :(

You didn't miss anything.

If you think being a car enthusiast is about hanging in car parks with big groups of (mostly) dickheads then I think you're missing the point.

Being a car enthusiast is about driving and if you love it you'll do it on your own and enjoy it for yourself. Go put an exhaust, diff and coils on a 180 and go kick the clutch in the rain (where no one can see you).

Well said.