Sign in to follow this  
Varvs

180sx Headlights - good, bad and ugly.

Besides the factory housings and the raybrig housings, are there any better headlights for the 180?

being the sealed beam shape theres plenty of options on ebay for projectors, DRLs built in, all that stuff. just wondering what people have tried and what works well, or bad.

anyone upgraded to LED lamps yet?

Edited by steveP

Quite interested in this.. will need an upgrade.... subscribed!

yeah my globes just blew for the first time since I bought the car. 6 years is a new record.

oh wow. mine are just dull and horrible. would love some HID's.

OEM Celica, Supra or Honda Prelude popup headlight globe housings. Exactly the same shape, but has a removable globe, so you can fit whatever you like.

Dirt cheap if you go to a self-serve wrecker, or probably economical to buy brand new.

Personally, I went for S15 headlights ;)

Edited by pmod
  • Upvote 1

Wonder if they are worse than my brick headlights, i cant see shit on low beam so just drive around on high beam. Maybe im just getting old or going blind from excessive masturbation. They possibly need adjusting but farks me how to do that :doh:

Wonder if they are worse than my brick headlights, i cant see shit on low beam so just drive around on high beam. Maybe im just getting old or going blind from excessive masturbation. They possibly need adjusting but farks me how to do that :doh:

mrs palmer always cops a right thrashing and my eyesight is just fine, that's just a myth :P

Mine came with lamp housings with removable globes, originally had halogen globes that produced a very blue light which was pretty useless. Changed over to Philips Xtreme Vision H4 halogen globes which have made a huge improvement. These were about $35.

OEM Celica, Supra or Honda Prelude popup headlight globe housings. Exactly the same shape, but has a removable globe, so you can fit whatever you like.

Dirt cheap if you go to a self-serve wrecker, or probably economical to buy brand new.

Personally, I went for S15 headlights wink.png

x2, the headlight housings are a pretty generic size and suit like a billion cars

my housings were all foggy and had all sorts of shit inside them so no matter how good of a globe i used they still werent very bright

i spent $40 on new 7x5 housings and couldnt believe how much brighter it was even with the random globes it came with

yeah, I know its a generic shape, I wanted to know if there was better housings out there? or if the projector ones are any good, etc.

I was thinking raybrig but couldn't bring myself to spend the money.

Bought some TYC lamps from eBay, about half the price but still with similar 'diamond cut' and clear lens.

Have some hella blue bulbs to go in. Haven't used them yet but if you're thinking raybrig then it's probably not a bad option.

You might be asking for trouble from DOT with projectors but they seem to be pretty standard these days.

The globe housings from the cars I listed are a not generic, but are exactly the same as the 180sx, however with removable globes. You could then investigate better globes, HIDs, etc.

From what I've heard, the ebay projector ones are garbage, and most folks that go with RayBrig do so for the removable globes. If you wanted projectors, your best bet is to smash out the glass from the oem sealed beams, then retrofit some proper projector units into the casing from another car with superior headlights, like an S2000 or similar. If you wanted better/different housings, then you should be able to make oem NSX light housings work, as they're a relatively direct fit for the MA70 Supra. Good luck with locating those at a semi-reasonable price though.

You guys complain about the bad lights let me show you the glorious candle likeness brick lights hahaha

I have the super clear Raybrig housing on my 180sx, running the stock white bulbs. definitely a noticeable difference.

I remember taking some before and after photos of them after fitting them many years ago, they are definitely an improvement over the stock housing... they were bloody expensive at the time. $250 each i think from memory

I, like many folk, had incredibly dull lights so I switched out to HIDs with external ballasts and the lot. f**k that noise, trying to 'tune' (for lack of a better word) the light into a concentrated beam was just farked. I would light up street signs from half a k away. Went through an RBT with them with the little bro and all the coppers had to cover their eyes and told me to switch my high beams off.... wasn't on high beams. Pretty sure they would have pulled me over for it if I was on my own.

So I switched them out for Raybrigs with some bulbs that were slightly brighter than stock and that works amazingly well. The beam is more concentrated and is actually aimed down low rather than pissing light out everywhere. I agree the price would usually be a factor but I got a bargain luckily!

Edited by keyhole150

The globe housings from the cars I listed are a not generic, but are exactly the same as the 180sx, however with removable globes. You could then investigate better globes, HIDs, etc.

From what I've heard, the ebay projector ones are garbage, and most folks that go with RayBrig do so for the removable globes. If you wanted projectors, your best bet is to smash out the glass from the oem sealed beams, then retrofit some proper projector units into the casing from another car with superior headlights, like an S2000 or similar. If you wanted better/different housings, then you should be able to make oem NSX light housings work, as they're a relatively direct fit for the MA70 Supra. Good luck with locating those at a semi-reasonable price though.

The sealed beam 7x6 size is used across a heap of cars. Wranglers, MR2, AE86, Hilux, etc.

I already have housings with replaceable globes.

Those look pretty damn impressive.. If you get them you should post up a review of how they compare to stock setup

I ended up just throwing in new bulbs.

I got Narva Intense +30s which are the aussie standard at 55w/60w.

the bulbs I took out were 80w japanese ones.

The new bulbs are about twice as bright. I still need to aim them properly because they are lighting up street signs like 50m away as if my high beams are on (although still giving great coverage on the road in front of the car)

not sure if $650 on housings is worth it on a 20yr old car, to be honest. let us know how they turn out though.

I just used $20 90/110w gloves in my type x and they last for years. Things were the brightest headlights I've ever had in a car.

I've tried HIDs, and I wouldn't subject others to that horror ever again. Good way to blind everyone and everything else on the road, and the low/high beam in one moveable bulb solution is balls, the high beam ends up being crap and shooting into the trees. Like the other guy said, lighting up street signs from half a km away.

I now use Phillips extreme vision +100 or something, and they're fine. My headlight casings have always had a removeable bulb, and mine's a 94 model, so maybe source the casings from a later model, clean them up and use good globes.

As for adjusting them, that's what the long screws around the housing are for.

NSX ones retrofitted looks not too bad imo.

Too pricey for me so I got Raybrigs instead.

The OP wants better light output than stock, not worse.

• Upvote 1

I just replaced the globes, which was all I needed really.

A good thing to add though, is that the housings are shitty and will rub on the frame of the headlight, which makes adjusting them hard. The metal tongues that the two adjusting screws actuate are flimsy and bend easily.

What I did to avoid this (after I slotted the head of the bottom adjustment screws thanks to stripping the heads) was remove the headlight and Straighten the tongues out. Then, I put the bottom screw in first, and tightened all the way in. not tight, just touching the frame. At this point, spray your favorite type of lube on the back of the headlight (especially in any places that already show show signs of rubbing). I used CRC 5-56 but silicone spray or even straight up sex lube would probably work better.

Next, hook up the power to the headlight, fit the headlight in the frame and reattach the spring in the top corner. Make sure you get the tongue from the frame in between the two collars on the screw, or you will only be able to adjust it one way.

loose fit the side adjustment screw (you can easily grab the headlight and pull the side out slightly to assist with getting the side screw in). DO NOT tighten it yet. just a few threads to hold everything in place.

The reason you put the lower screw all the way in, is that it is easy to relieve the setup of tension and get the headlight to move upwards, than it is to add tension to the flimsy metal and adjust it downwards.

Both your headlights will have a 'step' in the top of the beam. the top of the beam looks like this: ¯¯¯¯¯\______

Adjust the lower screw out to adjust the height of the beam to your preference - ignore the lateral aim (left right) for now. I found it best to park about 8-10m away from a blank wall, or a wall with little to no details on it. it is important to jump in the car occasionally to check how it looks from the drivers position. Throw a jumper or a box over one headlight and adjust them individually. Occasionally, do a lap around the block, preferably in a dark area without too many street lights.

You may have to give the headlight a slight tap to help it adjust as you move the screw out. Try not to go too far up as getting it to go back down can sometimes be difficult and youll have to start again.

So once you get both lights at the same height, Adjust the side screws so that the beams line up successfully to form one single uniform beam. (ie. ¯¯¯¯¯\_______ gets lined up). Given that its a Silvia, we arent expecting it to be perfect, but get it as close as you can, especially at the far end of the beam.

do another lap of the block and take your screw drivers with you to adjust as necessary.

Make sure your hi-beams arent pointing into the trees (this is usually not a big deal unless you have set your lo-beams too high)

After all that I went from 80W globes (JDM) to 60W globes (ADR compliant) and after adjusting them I got heaps better reach and much better light density too.

They arent perfect headlights to begin with, but they definitely arent as shit as some people make them out to be.

The OP wants better light output than stock, not worse.

Oh, Oh, right.. Well ok.

He didn't specifically state light output..

Edited by Rolled Cambers

Sorry to bump up an old thread. Just need some feedback if anyone has used these http://www.ebay.com....=item2a3ede31e5 and could tell me if there was any improvement in there light output, for the price I can't really go wrong if they work.

I installed these a few months ago, and yes a big improvement. The light isnt centered well on the road as in its spread out more but its brighter either way.

Great upgrade. I should also mention, try buy some Raybrigs. The ones linked above look like knock offs.

Edited by s13k's

Sorry to bump up an old thread. Just need some feedback if anyone has used these http://www.ebay.com....=item2a3ede31e5 and could tell me if there was any improvement in there light output, for the price I can't really go wrong if they work.

I installed these a few months ago, and yes a big improvement. The light isnt centered well on the road as in its spread out more but its brighter either way.

Great upgrade. I should also mention, try buy some Raybrigs. The ones linked above look like knock offs.

Are you using geniune raybrigs or the ones linked above?