Sign in to follow this  
MARZ90

No holes Fan shroud cooler piping.

Hey guys tried my hardest looking but couldn't find much about it sorry if it's been covered.

So i have a cooler lying around and it's time to install it and i'm just sussing out the options...

i know i could do in bay, but i want to keep air con and i'm not a huge fan (excuse the pun) of the possible heat issues, especially considering the 40 degree heat stroke here earlier this year...

also, my cars a daily so i really don't want to have the risk of cutting a hole in the battery tray if i can avoid it. not so much worried about the defect but i really cbf with eng cert and want to be able to put it back to stock without hassles.

the reason for the post is the 3rd option and the one i'm most keen on. it is to run the piping through the fan shroud... i have only seen a few of these and want to know if anyone has got one/done one and pro's cons (e.g. do i have to shit money to afford it) any pics? can i do it without spending copious amounts of money on custom fab?

cheers.

I'm replacing stock cluth fan with twin thermos. It should give enough room to get 2.5" piping between power brace and rails.

That's what I'm planning to do anyway...

I think i have an idea of what your trying to do which is bring the cooler pipe up from the driver side end take around and then squeeze it behind the clutch fan?

Seems do able, i had a look at doing the same in my car since i have aftermarket tubs and didnt want to make a hole but havent fully decided on it yet.

huh? just do what i did its not that hard, make a regular front mount a return flow, i mounted the front mount, and gave it to a friend with all the piping kit, he cut and hacked the pipe kit, added a bit here and there, i cant remember how much it cost me it was o so long ago, but it wasn't over the top if i recall. Just get custom fab, the dearest way is the cheapest way because you only need to do it once.

look about half way down the page

http://www.nissansilvia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=461059

Edited by CroS13

antonio: i want to get it between the clutch fan and the rad... here's a pic1013836_597927413593795_1938834175_n.jpg

thats from havoc fabs facebook page... i have a greddy intake on mine so i wouldnt have to run an arc to get it up and into the shroud i could pipe it exactly like this.

Cros13 i saw your build when i was trying to find people who had done anything similar and i like the stealth, but i really want to keep the piping distance to a minimum. i think if i want to go this route a custom fab job looks like my only/best option.

Wow that looks pretty awesome, i wonder what it looks like from underneath that...

Cant say ive seen it run like that before!

i am liking all the room in that photo... haha

honestly though i prefer to just keep the clutch fan, it's so basic and it works = less problems. i realize it's not that hard to wire up a pair of thermos properly but yeah, cbf factor way too high.

on a side note though... that pic perfectly illustrates where i want to run the pipe. in that space in the middle of your pic with an almost godly aura lol considering you have all that room, you reckon you could tell me if i could get a 2.5" pipe through there?

I've got an in bay with a/c (I don't know why people remove it) works fine on hot days. On the track you could see some high temps around the low 100's after a few laps at winton (grip not drift) but on the street it is no problem at all mid 80's all day long with an r33 clutch fan and r32 fan shroud.

well i know of guys keeping their air con with in bays and i don't think overheating is the problem i think it's heat soak on the cooler from the air con unit while it's on... considering it would sit right behind it. but i'm no expert anyone feel free to chime in with some credible info.

i guess when you think about it if you're on track you wouldn't be running the air con so heat soak would be a non issue, and when you are using it i suppose heat soak isn't an issue. honestly i want to run a front mount because it's the optimum position for a cooler and i'd like to see if this would work, just to see if it's a legit option.

Another option is the Predator Intercooler + Radiator kit.

Pretty self explanatory. I heard these thing's go for a fair bit of cash though, which is the downside.

predator5.jpg

IMAGE_354.jpg

Edited by MeRlz

i am liking all the room in that photo... haha

honestly though i prefer to just keep the clutch fan, it's so basic and it works = less problems. i realize it's not that hard to wire up a pair of thermos properly but yeah, cbf factor way too high.

on a side note though... that pic perfectly illustrates where i want to run the pipe. in that space in the middle of your pic with an almost godly aura lol considering you have all that room, you reckon you could tell me if i could get a 2.5" pipe through there?

Yep, I did check, 2.5" pipe fits in there as this is what I'm planning to do.

Putting aside the fact that I also agree it looks terrible, I already have a 3 core rad and a cooler that I want to make use of... Not too keen on forking out huge amounts of cash I don't have

Oh sweet thanks man, looks like you have an alloy rad too? won't the fans actually make less room down there for the pipes to go through? I mean you said it fits so I'm assuming that's with the thermo fans on...

I'm hopefully going to give this a crack soon so I might post some pics (if it's not a total disaster Haha)

1 issue i can see with this setup is the amount of heat that is going to be transfered from the radiator to the cold pipe.

God they are terrible

:lol:

Everything's a compromise in that kit.

f**ked if I know why people insist on fitting massive intercoolers.

yeah i would think you'd have a bigger rad and a smaller cooler... thats what i'd prefer anyway.

the rad in that kit looks tiny :unsure: