Sign in to follow this  
deavern

Need chassis frame rails and floor straightened out

I have posted another thread asking about the rails and everyones opinion was that s-chassis have weak rails, but I need to get a road worthy on my 180 and I know 100% it'll get knocked back.

Before I goto a panel shop just seeing if anyone on here that has experience wants to do a cash job shouldn't be to hard,

I don't know how the damage happened but on both sides the frame rails are dented in and the passenger floor feels like its warped in, if anyone feels upto the job for a decent price I'm located in eastern suburbs of vic.

post-153470-0-84187400-1399884473_thumb.png

post-153470-0-52295900-1399884508_thumb.png

post-153470-0-72522000-1399884545_thumb.png

Take the pics to the shop whom you're intending to get the RWC with, and ask him/her whether they'd knock it back for such superficial damage.

Take the pics to the shop whom you're intending to get the RWC with, and ask him/her whether they'd knock it back for such superficial damage.

The car was last registered in NSW 2 years ago so even if I get a RWC I'm pretty sure it will then need a vicroads pit check and fail

Honestly, it'd be cheaper to re-shell than to un-pick the munted rails, repair the floor, and weld new rails in.

Honestly, it'd be cheaper to re-shell than to un-pick the munted rails, repair the floor, and weld new rails in.

just what i didn't want to hear, You know that feeling when everyone says no but you do it anyways and come up with every excuse in the book haha. So i guess I'm looking for a 180 shell then anyone that comes across this and either has a N/A 180 shell or wants to attempt the fix and save a 180 get at me

There's a guy here in canberra with a rolling 180 shell, think he wanted $500

Edited by Walfers

Leaver out as much of the rail as possible and get it as straight as possible then just bog the whole lot and paint black. Its what I did to my car and mine has been over the pits in SA. Your car doesn't need to be good to pass, it only needs to appear good.

• Downvote 3

They are literally unrepairable mate i would part out what you can reshell/sell and scrap the rest...

looks like it was beached then dragged sideways repeatedly

Car was probably sitting in a rack for a while, get an engineers opinion

Had a car restorer look at it he said he will do it as a cashy for $500-$800 depending how long it takes, he said he can either pull them out and reinforce them and also straighten the floor, or completely replace if I can get him the parts.

I've done a lot of research into it and gathered a lot of opinions and the mid section of the car is easily replaceable this website supplies virtually everything for the s-chassi http://jp-carparts.com/nissan/partlist.php?maker=nissan&type=84&cartype=17&fig=750

I got the part numbers that I needed then called my local nissan shop and they will import them over they sell them a little bit more expensive but it works out better because you don't have to pay for freight.

I'd rather give this a chance and try save the car but if worst comes to worst I may have to scrap it doesn't worry me too much car is pretty standard it's obviously seen better days, would love to know how it ended up like this!

Thanks for your inputs I will post results wether it pass the road worthy or ends up on the track

slide hammer

big hammer

bog

dirt mixed in with glue

or rubber tile glue.. dunlop brand

Had a car restorer look at it he said he will do it as a cashy for $500-$800 depending how long it takes, he said he can either pull them out and reinforce them and also straighten the floor, or completely replace if I can get him the parts.

I've done a lot of research into it and gathered a lot of opinions and the mid section of the car is easily replaceable this website supplies virtually everything for the s-chassi http://jp-carparts.c...type=17&fig=750

I got the part numbers that I needed then called my local nissan shop and they will import them over they sell them a little bit more expensive but it works out better because you don't have to pay for freight.

I'd rather give this a chance and try save the car but if worst comes to worst I may have to scrap it doesn't worry me too much car is pretty standard it's obviously seen better days, would love to know how it ended up like this!

Thanks for your inputs I will post results wether it pass the road worthy or ends up on the track

balls in or balls out - crunch the numbers and do your maths and work out what you wanna do i guess.

Leaver out as much of the rail as possible and get it as straight as possible then just bog the whole lot and paint black. Its what I did to my car and mine has been over the pits in SA. Your car doesn't need to be good to pass, it only needs to appear good.

Only needs to appear good?

you realise that if he has an accident hes much more likely to be injured?

and that insurance companies, if they discovered the car was in this condition, wouldnt provide any coverage for any accidents?

dude could literally die man. what the f**k.

• Upvote 1

And some of us wonder why we are targeted!!

These are the people that need to have their cars taken off them.

I don't know about other states but in NSW the last time I put an unregistered car over the pits they got under the car with a phillips head screwdriver and started to DIG. I mean really dig, down to the metal. Bog won't save you in these situations. Plus there's the whole "you could die" thing, so yeah... Surely in the long run another shell is the go? What's your time and your f*ckin sanity worth to you ?

I don't know about other states but in NSW the last time I put an unregistered car over the pits they got under the car with a phillips head screwdriver and started to DIG. I mean really dig, down to the metal. Bog won't save you in these situations. Plus there's the whole "you could die" thing, so yeah... Surely in the long run another shell is the go? What's your time and your f*ckin sanity worth to you ?

So they used a screw driver to scratch under your car to expose the metal in the rails which could easily lead to rusting and you let them do that? Wut

rails being dented like that is very common with silvias its just superficial and wont affect the car

can happen when jacking or if you just run them low for a while

they are soft as butter you will most likely be able to just bang them out flatish again with a slide

the section in the first and second picture is more of a cover than anything ...

both my sils look similar currently in both my cars dont sweat it.

give them some love too pull them out a little then reapint the underbody in black so it looks presentable where is been scraped (will also stop any rust )

done

Edited by Biggie

So they used a screw driver to scratch under your car to expose the metal in the rails which could easily lead to rusting and you let them do that? Wut

Well, I was standing there with my dick in my hand and they sent me away twice to get my sh*t together so yeah, I was the RTA inspector's bitch. If you haven't been there ..... like the Chillies said bro.

Edited by adam

I'm doing mine at the moment I've started cutting them off I'll straighten them and weld them back on floors bent so I'll just pull it back down when I weld it back in going to put some flat bar inside to strengthen it after it's been worked on as it'll be weak as after straightening ill post pics on my progress

Ended up selling the car originally posted about but since then have bought another 180 with rail damage just not as bad as the pictures above, I used a dent puller (a welder with a slide hammer attachment) and pulled them out then went over it with a hammer to even it up applied a small amount of body filler to finish it up then sprayed it with stone guard and then black chassis paint, car has been through a vic roads inspection and was registered on Friday! Was so easy to do the hardest bit was deciding the plan of attack and not being overwhelmed by the job. Happy days