Sign in to follow this  
Stuss15

New paint for s15, thoughts!

Hey guys looking at getting a re spray later in the week for my s15, it's currently pearl White and wasn't sure weather to keep the original colour. I was thinking a nice crisp White would really show off the s15s lines better. Volkswagen gti White is nice and so is the Audi White. What are your thoughts?

Bunnings ceiling white. Nah a crisp white would look good but I always think of shitbox commodores as they use a really plain white. I went 370z qab pearl white which I think they use on the gtr too. Pretty happy with that.

The commodore and falcon White isn't really a bright white. Just find the pearl is almost like a cream up against a nice white.

Evo 9 White is nice too. Will check out that colour on the 370

You wanna lose the pearl for flat white??

Man pearl white looks way better, but hey, its your ride.

Saw a different look on an S14 at tuned performance workshop the other day, think it was classed as a satin white but looked kinda flat, pretty sure there's photos on their FB page

yeah flat white or just white white doesn't do the s15 car lines any justice.. it actually hides the lines if anything. well all white s15 on google images show this anyway

example, SXD15 and Sutton s15.. just look at the colour at how it shows off the lines in every photo that is on the internet, a more cream/darker white shows better lines then a bright white.

i dont know if they are different white or both the same, but just looking at the photos, as mentioned a darker dirty white is better at doing what your after imo.

You're a mad man stu :lol:

But I'll throw my hat in for satin white as well.

Ahah you guys wanna see satin at my expense! All there images are filtered though. I know what your saying though.

You wanna lose the pearl for flat white??

Man pearl white looks way better, but hey, its your ride.

I'm not after a flat white, just a super clean crisp white. Not a falcon or bomadore white. Evo/Audi/ or golf gti white.

the problem with viewing pictures on the internet is that most people are shit photographers and white cars will typically be over exposed and lose a lot of definition. you will almost always find they look better in person because you dont get the horrible washed-out look caused by shitty camera phones and people who dont know how to take great photos.

Bright, plain white looks great on almost every car.

Holdens and fords are the worst examples because they are oxidised and gross after a few years. the VE and later look alright though.

Communist Grey.

No need for any other colours.

• Upvote 1

Loz used a lambo satin white on his if you want some inspiration.

But for the sake of cost many hatches have wicked factory colors these days like the Mazda mps white/Ford focus white or golf like you mentioned etc etc.

Subaru have had some wicked whites over the years as well.

white cars remind me of white goods, fridges, freezers, washing machines etc...

Edited by MoJizzy

Noo leave it pearl white :'(

It's gunna be one fast fridge! Ahah

• Upvote 1

Shouldn't you be asking which colour will make sponsor banners pop - if you're to enter tarmac rallies etc :-) Or diff car?

No I do track stuff stuff and sometimes on the street. Not sure if I'll use this car if I do targa. Just weighing up options.

If it's a cost saving thing then yeah I understand why you might run with flat white but I think pearl is much nicer. It has more depth and contrast... the panels that aren't reflecting light directly back at you look a bit grey (smokier or something), so it makes the car look more angular.. flat white is maybe a bit more reflective. How much are either spray jobs gonna cost?

The cost isn't to much difference. I just don't like how the pearl can look dull in certain light. Love the brightness and cleanliness of the BMW White.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Definitely take a BMW Alpine White or similar over a sh*tty pearl any day, although to be perfectly frank, I never understood the obsession people have with white cars in the first place. It makes sense for utility vehicles, as it's cheap, reasonably easy to match, doesn't fade easily, promotes high visibility and most effectively reflects heat, but on anything else... why?

As for the pearl white, I absolutely agree with the above statement; looks more like a cream in most lighting. Horrid colour. Flat white really isn't much better too.

Edited by pmod

White cars are near-invisible in overcast/rainy conditions.

only out done by silver cars.

As soon as it starts raining or gets cloudy, I put my park lights on. given that the 180 is at best half as tall as most ordinary cars its hard enough for people to see as-is.

I'm not wanting to paint it another colour as I'm not going to paint the engine bay yet so I'm stuck with white.

White cars are near-invisible in overcast/rainy conditions.

only out done by silver cars.

As soon as it starts raining or gets cloudy, I put my park lights on. given that the 180 is at best half as tall as most ordinary cars its hard enough for people to see as-is.

Very true; I was referring to visibility on work sites. I do the same thing with my 180 when it starts raining, for the same reason.

I'm not wanting to paint it another colour as I'm not going to paint the engine bay yet so I'm stuck with white.

Make sure door jambs are in your quote if you are doing a colour change. My car was originally pearl white so I haven't done the engine bay either. Maybe one day I will.

Won't be doing the bay till the motor comes out but I will get all the door jams and inside doors boot ect done. Will look rubbish otherwise

Restore your pearl paint. I'm almost on my way to becoming a restorfx applicator If your in Sydney wait for me and I'll fix it up.

I have seen 2nd hand thrashed panels from wreckers get turned into fresh re spray quality in seconds.

Restorfx also gets rid of all swirl marks and scratches, and has life time warranty to never peel or fade. It's a wipe on clear coat