Sign in to follow this  

Guide: Installing a Nexus 7 in the S15 radio bezel

With the Silvia line getting older and the average owner getting younger, it could be said that this is the holy grail of mods.

Cheapass to do, baller once done, and it just so happens the S15 radio bezel was made for it.

Difficulty = 8

Where 0 is hardparking your Silvia, and 10 is being noticed.

Time Required = ~9 hours, plus miscellaneous setup

9 hours should get the nexus in the bezel. Add time for mistakes and miscellaneous.

Touching the tablet whilst driving is most likely illegal wherever you are in Australia, so be sensible with your usage and configuration. The primary goal for mine is music and GPS, both of which can comfortably be setup whilst parked, as the tablet can obviously be run off the internal battery for a long time. Most music player apps allow you to skip tracks through a simple swipe, which is unlikely to land you in hot water with the Police, or can be operated via voice commands or potentially via a keys from a hacked bluetooth keyboard. GPS software should always be setup when stationary anyway, so that too shouldn't be an issue either.

If you plan on pushing buttons whilst waiting at traffic lights, at least be discrete and have a jacket or something covering the gap between the front seats so it isn't obvious to any cops sitting behind you.

Tools Required

• Razor knife
  • Soldering iron
  • Side cutters
  • Wire strippers
  • Screw driver set
  • Drill + various drill bits
  • Various small bolts and nuts
  • Flux-cored solder
  • Electrical tape
  • Gaffa tape
  • Angle grinder
  • Metal file
  • Bench Vice
  • Sand paper
  • Body filler
  • Catalysed putty glue
  • Packet of M8x1.25x16 bolts with nuts
  • Cheapass $3 Chinese earphones (you need a specific type of 3.5mm audio jack, and the Chinese junk tends to use it)
  • 2m of dual-core shielded audio wire
  • Female or male stereo audio plug/socket as preferred
  • Various panel switches
  • Non-oem micro-usb data cable (means it has 5 pins on the micro side, rather than 4)
  • 300x10x3mm aluminium bar
  • 1000x30x3mm aluminium bar

• Music
  • GPS navigation
  • Facebook updates to people you don't like over topics you don't care about
  • Factory workshop manuals on demand
  • Pricechecking in the carpark
  • Watching TV shows because it shouldn't take 10 minutes for her to change outfits

Step 1. Slice off the tabs on the inside of the bezel, position the nexus and mark the bottom edge.

Step 2. Cut the 300x10x3mm aluminium bar to 192mm length, position it in the middle of the markings, then carve a small channel into the bezel using a razor knife to match the bar. A snug fit is required, so mark around the bar using the knife for best results.

Step 3. Insert the bar into the channel, then carefully trim the bezel for the flushest fit possible. The bar must be dead flush with the inside lip on the radio bezel, or it will look bad. Use the tablet to test and confirm success.

Step 4. Remove the outer sheath from the small plug of the micro usb cable, using a knife.

Step 5. Connect the USB cable to the Nexus, then trim the radio bexel until the Nexus can sit flat when positioned correctly.

Step 6. Desolder the earth on the USB cable and bridge it to make a USB OnTheGo cable. In my case, I made the bridge switchable, but later cut the switch off in preference for simple wire twisting to change modes. I believe the switch I used was causing problems. There are plenty of guides on the Net regarding FIY USB OTG cables.

Step 7. Remove the plug from some cheapass Chinese earphones, then solder up an audio lead. Google search for guides on how to do this, should you be unsure of the process.

Step 8. Insert the audio plug in the Nexus, then gently bend the plug and trim the radio bezel until the Nexus can sit flush in the desired position. Be sure to test the lead with each change, as bending the plug can destroy the internal lines and make it mono.

Step 9. That this is the easiest part to mess up, and the biggest pain in the ass to solve. Remove the back plate of the Nexus and CAREFULLY solder wires to the button pads. One wire goes to the circle, and the other goes to the ring that surrounds it. This is extremely easy to get wrong, so take note of the following:

- When you solder it, be very fast to avoid heating the pad up

- Pre-tin your wires and a small dab on the pad, so there's no soak time for the soldering process and hence less heat

- Use very thin wire, such as the internal wires of dual core of audio cable

- Do NOT make my mistake of leaving the shielding on the audio cable, as the weight and resistance will tear the pad off, and fixing it SUCKS

- Take great care to position the wire in the dead center of the circle pad; it's easy to bridge the contacts

- Use a multimeter set to continuity to confim that there are no contact bridges

Step 10. Remove the power/volume buttons from the Nexus back plate, run the button wires through, then secure them on the back using Gaffa Tape. I ran some hot melt glue over the soldering to avoid unwanted movement or bridges.

Step 11. Rough up the back of the radio bezel (don't touch the lip) and glue the 10mm bar in place.

Step 12. Cut the 30mm aluminium bar to cover the Nexus and extend into the corners of the radio bezel.

Step 13. Wrap the Nexus in plastic to avoid adhesion, then knead up some sets-like-stone metal repair putty to secure 4 M8 bolts in the corners of the bezel. The goal is to have the bolt head covered, the curved side of the Nexus covered, and the 10mm alumunium bar slightly covered, as the glue tends to pull off eventually. I suggest cutting the bolts down to the smallest size that will pass through the bars made in Step 12.

Step 14. Remove the Nexus and then use a Dremel grinding wheel to clean up the putty so that the Nexus sits flush, stays locked in position and can be inserted and removed with ease.

Step 15. Drill holes in the ends of the 30mm aluminium bars so that they can be bolted in place, crossing over each other. For best results, bend an arch in the outer bar [using a vice and hammer] so that it steps over the inner bar, making both bars sit hard up against the back of the Nexus. Once bolted in place, you can very carefully trim the ends of the bolts using a Dremel, should they foul on the panels when you install the bezel in the car. Be sure to cover the tablet properly when doing this to avoid damage or debris entering, and be gentle when cutting, to avoid cracking the putty through vibration.

Step 16. If desired, sand, fill and paint the bezel. In my case, I also enlarged the cigarette lighter hole to allow my volume dial to seat further in.

Step 17. Install the radio bezel and use a razor knife to trim any backing plastic that fouls on the retention bolts. The upper bolts should clear, but the lower bolts require a small recess to be cut.

Step 18. From here, you should decide how you wish to setup the Nexus, rootkit it, install apps, wire in a charger, wire in a USB hub, mount power/vol buttons somewhere amd connect them to the tablet, install an amplifier, etc. There's a lot you can do and a lot of information on the Internet, so take your time and plan it out.

Edited by pmod

Can you run Windows programs on these? ie ecutalk to plug into the consult port of your nissan and display gauges etc?

Thats so good pmod, great work

thats a prety awesome idea!

always been a fan of hte carputer but never been bothered to look at intergrating it

you can build your own 12v-5v usb converter,

that way your building teh circuit board to the amperage and volts you need to charge the nexux...

or you can just buy something like this for $10

i think jaycar sell stuff like that too...

wire it in, thing should not go flat if you drive it for say 2 weeks end on it might lol,

Cheers guys. Looks a lot better in real life.

It may be possible to get some gauges or similar on Android, however I haven't tested the gear or apps linked below. Certainly has potential though, so worth looking into.

Bluetooth Consult 1 adapter:

Apps for use with ConsultBT:

Ohhhhhh is that how its done pictures really help

Is that the same for VKs aswell?

Thanks bud.

Sign in to follow this