Sign in to follow this  
NISSAN_200

S15 Rear Brakes - Upgrade

Hi Boys/Girls,

Thinking of upgrading my rear brakes on my S15.

Looking at a budget upgrade, installing the R33 GTS-T rear rotors & discs.

I have done research and I know that the S15 & R33 use different handbrake set up, I need to install the R33 hand brake cable in my car.

But I just have a few questions:

Q) Will the R33 calipers/rotors fit onto my existing S15 rear hubs?

Q) Will the R33 calipers/rotors clear my standard S15 rims?

Q) I already have braided brake lines on the rear, will these connect to the R33 calipers?

Q) Do I need to upgrade my BMC for this upgrade?

At the moment I have standard S15 brakes front and rear, only upgrades are slotted rotors on the front, QFM A1RM brakes pads and braided lines.

Any info would be appreciated :thumb:

Hubs are the same, but you have to take the hubs off to change to a skyline backing plate. You need:

Backing plate

drum brake assembly

rotor

caliper

r33 handbrake cables

I used standard s13 lines to connect to R33 caliper, so you should be fine.

Standard rims will be fine, as S14/R33 rims clear the brakes fine. You might as well change the front brakes to R33 GTST, they don't cost much and are much bigger than the S15 brakes. You'll notice more from that than the rear brakes, anyway.

Hi Boys/Girls,

I have done research and I know that the S15 & R33 use different handbrake set up, I need to install the R33 hand brake cable in my car.

Q) I already have braided brake lines on the rear, will these connect to the R33 calipers?

At the moment I have standard S15 brakes front and rear, only upgrades are slotted rotors on the front, QFM A1RM brakes pads and braided lines.

1) Yes

2) Yes

3) Yes with modification to the caliper (remove olive)

4) Recommend yes esp if you have front brake upgrade

I did a full write up on this years ago... Read here

Hi Boys/Girls,

1) Yes

2) Yes

3) Yes with modification to the caliper (remove olive)

4) Recommend yes esp if you have front brake upgrade

I did a full write up on this years ago... Read here

Thanks for the input guys

Yeah I saw your write up earlier PH11PS, awesome work mate very detailed :thumb:

My front brakes are standard S15 items, so I can get away with running my standard BMC PH11PS? Will the rear R33 brakes work well?

Edited by NISSAN_200

Cheers bud,

Will your standard BMC work? Short answer is yes, however you will get a bit of a spongy pedal which can get a bit sketchy when braking from high speed.

It doesn't hurt to upgrade your BMC, esp if you can find a GTR BMC for cheap. I would upgrade simply because you're going to flush all that brake fluid through the system anyway, you might as well overhaul.

You won't notice too huge of a difference on straight line braking, but your handbrake is going to lock up like a hero now :)

You'll lock your rear brakes quicker if you use your s15 bmc so definitely change the bmc as the bias is different with the 2pot rear

What pads are you running in your car ATM?

Thanks for the advice PH11PS and ichi-go :thumb:

Stuss15 I am running QFM A1RM front and rear pads

^ how does the pads feel atm? cos im about to buy them for F/R

I rate QFM, they are much better than my previous FERODO performance pads.

I noticed a big improvement when I installed them. QFM A1RM use a much harsher pad so expect rotor wear.

Boys who use A1RM on here for track work don't rate them, but for street they are good for me

Interestingly, my experience with the A1RM on the street has been somewhat different. I don't really rate them at all and I haven't been able to decide whether the issue is the pads, I need to rebuild my calipers, rebuild my BMC, or the rotors. With the setup I have, the car should pull up fairly hard or at least lock the tyres up hard with moderate pedal pressure, but they don't. Braking is effective but the initial bite is lousy even when at temp, and they squeal like a pig stuck in a fence.

I'm currently running R33 front and rear calipers, R34 ABS BMC with a front line tee for my non-ABS chassis and stock R33 machined rotors. The rotors are basically are at their minimum thickness, and I was told by the machining shop that they'll just have to be replaced come the next pad change.

Considering just rebuilding everything, new rotors and perhaps Project Mu pads or something. F**k weak brakes.

Edited by pmod

Funny, my A1RM don't make any noise. The eat up the rotors like no tomorrow and I can lock up the wheels at the track...but that is on rubbish tyres.

Big improvement over stock, compared to other race pads, unsure.

Qfm sucked big time for me an people I know. Did not last at the track, pad crackedp. I rate the lucus twr pad over them and there cheap as. I've previous run ferrodo ds 2500s and now on to project mu hc +. The ferrodos work well but were harsh on my rotors and once they got hot like qfms they vibrated through the pedal. Hands down great street pad for the price and still fine for track. I find I don't get as much feedback through the pedal with the hc but they do handle the higher temp better and get the job done. Next pad I'm steeping up to is either the ferrodo uno or Pfc compound 01 pad as friends rate it very highly. I run stock rears and r34gts up front and the car stops extremely well. Get some better pads than the qfms and you'll see a better improvement rather than swapping out your rears. Also qr is hard on brakes so this is based on my experiences.

Also if you wanna do it right you must get the r33 bmc, r33,32,34 s14 s15 all run the same size front caliper so if you just changed the fronts out to any of these you bmc will work perfect but as you know skyline rears are different to silvia so if you are doing a rear upgrade for performance you must change it.

ohh righto cos im planning to use those QFM a1rm's for track but car is predominately street. so wasnt sure what to go for.

I'd look at some project mu pads, yes they will be around $250 but you won't have any problems. The ferrodos would be great too for your application. I don't know anyone that have disliked them but when you get them crazy hot they can get a mild vibration. I'm talking around 550-600 degrees. This won't happen unless your on a high speed track stopping to extremely low speeds regulary

The ferodos feel great through the pedal compared to the pmu

ahh ok, which ferodos would u recommend? I would be going to QR to track

DS2500 is a good start

If the track is hard on brakes, then HC+ or club racer is a very good cross-over pad, using HC+ myself but it does squeal when it's warmed up

How much power are you making? I've never had the hc. Squeal but I still have the metal things on the back of the pads.

Also if you wanna do it right you must get the r33 bmc, r33,32,34 s14 s15 all run the same size front caliper so if you just changed the fronts out to any of these you bmc will work perfect but as you know skyline rears are different to silvia so if you are doing a rear upgrade for performance you must change it.

Thanks for the info mate

Yeah I was thinking of upgrading the rears, because I want the brakes balanced. i.e. I don't want awesome brakes on the front and standard on the rear.

I was thinking if I have good brakes front and rear, the car will be more balanced under hard braking.

I've got QFMs as I thought they'd be good for track as they were recommended on some shitty forum ( :P)

I hope they hold up on the track, as they are definitely a compromise for street - extremely noisy, quite sketchy when cold, and have no bite / are vague compared to whatever was on before (I had a look at the old pads and couldn't see any identifying info so NFI what they were). After a few hard stops they come to life a little bit but I haven't been able to test them properly yet. If they crack on me at a track day I'll cry.

Edited by Skepticism

I've got QFMs as I thought they'd be good for track as they were recommended on some shitty forum ( tongue.png)

I hope they hold up on the track, as they are definitely a compromise for street - extremely noisy, quite sketchy when cold, and have no bite / are vague compared to whatever was on before (I had a look at the old pads and couldn't see any identifying info so NFI what they were). After a few hard stops they come to life a little bit but I haven't been able to test them properly yet.

That completely echoes my experiences with the QFM pads... perhaps it's not my brake setup after all.

Edited by pmod

Lucus twr pads are way cheaper and shit on the qfms.

Also what brakes are you running on the front?

Just to put up an opposite experience so people don't think A1RM are total rubbish.

I recently put new slotted rotors and A1RM pads on front and back. Initially there was a bit of a growl under braking, but after the burnish procedure, and a bit of daily driving, they have settled down and are virtually silent. I cleaned and greased the shims like new, if that makes a difference. I also find they have a lot of bite when cold, which I wasn't expecting at all. A lot better than whatever I had on before (stock rotors and who knows what pads) both when cold and warmed up. Also the handbrake holds the car really well on hills now. Not sure how much the slotted rotors contribute to the bite though, but as a combination so far seems a really good on the street.

I haven't tracked with them yet, so they may yet fall apart on me when stressed.

interesting, most ppl seem to dislike the QFM a1rm. i wanan try them on the track but them falling apart that's pretty =\

I don't understand why people want to try a product that has more bad experiences than good. It's not like it's the only pad on the market. Wtf

because its cheap enough to try them out

i used them, they're great for $100 a pop. i haven't used anything else that is very similar in price with the performance so i cant compare but for what they are, they really are a bang for buck.

I wouldnt call them track friendly no matter how QFM markets these pads, they're purely street performance pads is how i see it. so if you see the track more then 1 time a year, look for a better pad, life on these gets really short if abused good like multiple track days + daily commute work. they are EXTREMELY dusty too.

a professional rally driver friend also said their shit pads and will fall apart, that pretty much says it all for me LOL