Sign in to follow this  
s13k's

Getting too old for the "Silvia" scene?

I know think of imports as "toys" or a hobby. My R32 GT-R is my version of "old-school" and is my weekend car and my S14 is a track car. To be honest, I now no longer have any desire to drive around in a modified import every day. In fact, i prefer to drive my iLoad turbo diesel auto van around and lately, various brand new press cars. Can think of nothing worse than loud exhaust, grabby clutch, laggy big turbo and stiff coilers in daily traffic. Save it for the track or the nacho.

I love playing with imports and racing them, but family life and getting older and wiser means you stop caring about what the person next to you at the lights is thinking about your car ( usually think your a hoon or wanker anyway), making your blow off valve makes noises past pedestrians ( usually think your a wanker anyway ) or trying to pick up girls ( who usually think your a wanker in a done up import anyway ).

I used to daily my 180sx..... then i got my s15 which has coilovers and a bit of bracing gear and also HD clutch and so on as you mention and yes, SOOOOO true i could not daily drive my s15 its as annoying as fk......... i have a daily driver for that also

I have hit 30 and have owned my S15 for about 7-8 years now, modified it from standard.

Getting married soon, even though I don't drive it often I am still keeping it. It's good for the weekend, still puts a smile on my face when I open it up. :)

Reasons I don't sell it:

1) Rear wheel drive turbo coupes are rare now, no one makes them.

2) "Performance cars" these days are just souped up family cars. i.e. Mazda MPS, Ford XR5. :puke: There is the Toyota 86 but its a matchbox, too small for my height lol

3) If I want to upgrade to a new performance car with the same performance as my S15, I have to spend like 70-100k which I dont have lol

• Upvote 2

^^^ i went passenger in my mates BRZ the other week. I was blown away at how NOT shit it was, based on all the negative feedback I've seen from turbo owners. In every aspect, it wasn't shit. I could daily it. It wasn't shit, but it didn't do anything fantastic. I couldn't spend 40k+ on a car that I would need to modify for it to do what I want it to do. My busted ass sil80 running on 5psi is quicker than a BRZ, and that's something I couldn't live with. So the 40+k car would being 60, 70, 80k+? I'll stick with my shitbox.

I have hit 30 and have owned my S15 for about 7-8 years now, modified it from standard.

Getting married soon, even though I don't drive it often I am still keeping it. It's good for the weekend, still puts a smile on my face when I open it up. :)

Reasons I don't sell it:

1) Rear wheel drive turbo coupes are rare now, no one makes them.

2) "Performance cars" these days are just souped up family cars. i.e. Mazda MPS, Ford XR5. :puke: There is the Toyota 86 but its a matchbox, too small for my height lol

3) If I want to upgrade to a new performance car with the same performance as my S15, I have to spend like 70-100k which I dont have lol

exactly !

I agree with most of all you old folk haha,

my family car is an xr5 turbo we (my mrs) own ;)

the Silvia is certainly quicker than equivalent "performance v8's"

I would consider a typhoon / F6 as an upgraded family car, but not any time soon, ,mrs doesn't ever want to go N/A again, my influence has proven successful !

so the silvia stays - and value for money I wont get anything close to what I have spent on it. I certainly enjoy driving it, its nimble, handles well and well is quicker than a lot of other cars out there ,it may not be as luxurious but what evs, its still nice to me ! and kills M3's, SS's etc.

but then there is INSURANCE! who still has full compo? and the cost of it ! compared to our xr5t is almost double.

Shannons offered me a "limited use" insurance for a weekend driven car - non daily commuter to work. but can be driven any day of the week so long as its not every day, and generally approximately 2 times a week. they don't count kms or use etc, it suited me and saved me 400$

Having been around imports for 10+ years its hard to see a life without them.. Although as getting older i still have my beloved S14 and i dont plan on selling it or getting rid of it.. No need..

Its cost me enough to build and the headache, Luckily for me my parents have no cars so i have space to store everything without anybody questioning it..

Without a place to store it i may have other thoughts..

I still cant get away from imports but as im getting older i find myself distancing myself with many of the car scenes, Ive owned Automatic imports for years now and it doesnt even bother me.. Now a days when i look at the next car to buy the only older generation of car i could see myself buying would be an S15 as it still has that feeling of somewhat new..

Go back 5 years and i would of loved to have a Street thrasher 180 but now i look forward to having a G37 or a Mark X..

I do enjoy spending an afternoon working on the car, but i dont think i could ever be bothered doing another engine swap or complete build.. Maybe in 10years lol...

I'm 30, have a wife and daughter. My Sil80 is my weekend toy, i couldn't drive it daily with the coilovers as it handles like shit on the local roads (you feel every bump in the road)

I really wanted an Evo 8 or 9 but didn't want to sell my daily (04 Camry) and have to put my dog in the back of an Evo, so decided to get the cheaper S13 and keep the Camry, I kind of like going sideways too which is something you can't do in an evo.

My other hobby is fishing and i pour quite a bit (way too much) money into it, but when it's too windy to fish i love taking the car to the track.

Will i sell my Sil80 ??? Yeah probably in a couple of years as the missus is getting kinda keen on purchasing our first home. Till then i'll keep having fun and throwing money at it :thumb:

I never really got into the "scene" as my car was never modified enough to be "accepted" into the various versions of the scene that have happened since I bought my s14 back in 2002.

Back in the day, I had some big plans, then I ended up buying (then selling) property, going on holidays, getting married, buying a place etc and never had the spare cash to really go out and mod the car properly. I was never going to do the half arsed crap that the kids do these days, it was either top quality stuff done right, or nothing at all. So, nowdays I have a clean car thats 99% stock and the more people see it, the more they say, "dude, just leave it as is, most of them are now ruined and you have something special right here"

So, once again, no scene for me, the only time the kiddies are impressed with a clean stocker is when they bargain some old fart down to half the cars value then brag about it to all their mates. But meh, last few years, most of it is a giant circle jerk of hipsters, buzzwords, wheels, stickers, bad yank attitude, slow motion videos with blocks of wood and general social media wankage that has zero appeal to me, so I'm not missing out on anything

Edited by junkie
  • Upvote 2

Ive always felt the same too in regards to 'the scene'.

never really fit in so i thought 'f**k it' and decided to just do what I wanted.

Cars are more fun when you are doing what you want to do rather than whats hyped.

^^^ i went passenger in my mates BRZ the other week. I was blown away at how NOT shit it was, based on all the negative feedback I've seen from turbo owners. In every aspect, it wasn't shit. I could daily it. It wasn't shit, but it didn't do anything fantastic. I couldn't spend 40k+ on a car that I would need to modify for it to do what I want it to do. My busted ass sil80 running on 5psi is quicker than a BRZ, and that's something I couldn't live with. So the 40+k car would being 60, 70, 80k+? I'll stick with my shitbox.

I drove one literally the first weekend they were available to test drive, and I shared my opinion on this forum after.

coming from my 180, its not a shit car. its a NICE car. it looks good, handles well, and its not exactly slow, but its definitely not quick either.

I did my test drive and was pretty impressed. 20 years of additional engineering and technology is impressive! bluetooth, airbags, TCS, sat nav, light weight doors and good headlights are all a huge change over my 180.

but it just didnt have any character.

Sure my car has the advantage there; 30 years of culture, after market development and its customised to (nearly) my exact taste. but I realised as I turned the key on my car that the 86 didnt feel as chuckable as the 180. it didnt have that explosion of torque when the turbo comes in. it didnt have the sound or the feel. higher belt lines, huge dashboard, those silly little A pillar windows - it didnt have an element of danger to it at all. Not to say I feel unsafe in my 180, but I like that it feels like you need to be paying attention if you want to stick the boot in.

At the end of the day, i realised that if I did buy one, I am basically paying $40k (for the trim/options I wanted) to have the exact same thing I have now, with no after market support, cant do my own servicing, , no crazy turbo power-curve, no induction noise or exhaust, and I lose the convenience of the 180sx and its glorious shit-swallowing hatch back.

Dont get me wrong, if handed the keys to one today I wouldnt say no in taking it for a spin, but if I had to choose between what I have, and the 86, the 86 loses every time.

Edited by Varvs
  • Upvote 2

I got sick of the problems with my 180 so i sold it.

I just imported a V36 Skyline instead.

I got sick of the problems with my 180 so i sold it.

I just imported a V36 Skyline instead.

V36 are awesome rigs !

You would be crazy to keep a 180 over a V36, you can make pretty decent power on them aswell.. Just the ECU being typical nissan is a shit stain so you need to swap it out if you want bigger numbers :(

Ive always felt the same too in regards to 'the scene'.

never really fit in so i thought 'f**k it' and decided to just do what I wanted.

Cars are more fun when you are doing what you want to do rather than whats hyped.

I drove one literally the first weekend they were available to test drive, and I shared my opinion on this forum after.

coming from my 180, its not a shit car. its a NICE car. it looks good, handles well, and its not exactly slow, but its definitely not quick either.

I did my test drive and was pretty impressed. 20 years of additional engineering and technology is impressive! bluetooth, airbags, TCS, sat nav, light weight doors and good headlights are all a huge change over my 180.

but it just didnt have any character.

Sure my car has the advantage there; 30 years of culture, after market development and its customised to (nearly) my exact taste. but I realised as I turned the key on my car that the 86 didnt feel as chuckable as the 180. it didnt have that explosion of torque when the turbo comes in. it didnt have the sound or the feel. higher belt lines, huge dashboard, those silly little A pillar windows - it didnt have an element of danger to it at all. Not to say I feel unsafe in my 180, but I like that it feels like you need to be paying attention if you want to stick the boot in.

At the end of the day, i realised that if I did buy one, I am basically paying $40k (for the trim/options I wanted) to have the exact same thing I have now, with no after market support, cant do my own servicing, , no crazy turbo power-curve, no induction noise or exhaust, and I lose the convenience of the 180sx and its glorious shit-swallowing hatch back.

Dont get me wrong, if handed the keys to one today I wouldnt say no in taking it for a spin, but if I had to choose between what I have, and the 86, the 86 loses every time.

That's what I love about my car too, you have to be alert and all your senses need to be switched on. It's more engaging! Making sure the road is level, putting your foot down, hearing the engine change from quiet to full roaring, whilst the rear end is trying its best to get lose!

LOVE IT :P

Like many have said before... i'm getting old but i couldnt i'magine not having my s13. I've owned it for almost 4 years now and i have a 2 1/2 yr old son that loves it.

since he was born he's been put to sleep by the sr and he's more obsessed than me... helps me do shit and whenever mates come around he wants to be out playing cars...

i'll never get into the "scene" i'd rather stick to hanging out with mates and helping each other out when needed. I'll keep looking for things to do on it because i want it to be a nice weekender and set up so i can take it to the track and give it what for without being harassed by cops when i do take it out.

yeah i'm 31 now and the missus says she's sick of me spending money on stuff i dont need but hey, "it's not finished yet"... gotta go, got a delivery to pick up that she dont know about...

Email Recieved: Tue 17/06/2014 11:55 AM

Hello R.....,

Please be advised that a/an Satchel(s) from Australia Post has been delivered for you at the Mailroom OCS (OCSBG).

Please arrange for its immediate collection as we are unable to deliver this item. If you are not located at this site, please reply to this email for advice on your collection options.

In order to receive your item, please quote number 542110 and/or display your (Company name) Photo ID badge or collection of the item may be refused.

DISCLAIMER:All care is taken for the secure storage of item(s), but no responsibility will be taken for loss/theft of items (not collected) within the Office Services Department.

Regards ,

Office Services Team.

Please think of the environment before printing this email.

• Upvote 1

For me, I enjoy driving the car, making it track only has it's positives and negatives, but wouldn't go track only again. Only time I'd sell is if I wanted a weekender/something to drive on the road again every now and then to which I'm half tempted to.

Needless to say, I would sell up in a few years, only to buy another fun car.

What I'm hearing mostly is "I don't get old of the car because I enjoy it" or "there isn't anything else to move onto".

So I pose the question: If the FT86/BRZ came out turbo/supercharged/whatever, would you be selling your s-chassis for this?

Answer for me would be, I would probably buy one once the warranty is out and people are selling them, but for the moment a S15 would be on the cards if I sold up.

(supposably a turbo sti version is meant to come out at some point, guess we'll have to wait and see..)

I have been g'ing myself up to sell my s15 for years but a few things hold me back (looks great, goes alright, is f**king cool). I have test driven a few cars but my sights are on the 86, it would be great if it was turbo but I am more interested in reliability and driving a fresh new car that doesn't knock or rattle etc etc.

I really like seeing a nice 180 or silvia on the road and I'm not seeing too many of them around anymore so in my mind they've become a bit more special again. I am not turned off by the scene kids because I have nothing to do with them, I don't even see them around.

Agreed on the scene kids. It doesn't bother me at all. The scene is what you make of it.. for me and my friends getting together in small groups is fine with us. We aren't out to impress anybody . I just loving driving/sliding S14/15's. Such a drivers car.

The great thing about the silva is the drive. If you don't like the rattles and they way it drives buy an Evo. I can guarantee there will be less rattles but you won't smile anymore lol. But seriously it's what u make it, I'm 30 with a very modest looking s15, it doesn't attract police and if it does they see I'm old and don't hassle me. Ii don't hang with the Silvia crowd as I don't have a flat brim or hoops but I hang with other car enthusiasts that share the same passion. I track my s15 and that's when I feel in love with the car, maybe you should do the same to ignite your flame!

How much better is the 86's chassis anyway? I'll definitely consider grabbing one if the prices come down significantly (and no reliability issues come up) since by that time the aftermarket support will be pretty good.

Edited by Skepticism

If the new 86 had a Hyundai badge on it would anyone have been surprised? They look like ass IMO. I actually think the Hyundai genesis looks better

• Upvote 2

How much better is the 86's chassis anyway? I'll definitely consider grabbing one if the prices come down significantly (and no reliability issues come up) since by that time the aftermarket support will be pretty good.

I loved it... left my s15 for dead in that department but then we all have different setups in our silvias, yours might fare a bit better.

I reckon they look nice enough, just tint those plasticky tail lights and maybe chuck some rims on. I would wait for the price to drop a bit too. Only thing you have to accept is that it's not powerful.

Edited by Spazo

they should release a 86 with a real motor and some form of real gearbox & diff.. then worthy of a good car.. atm it's just like a RWD honda.

• Upvote 2

Shah john and his Hondas, yes the majority of Honda owners are goons but one of my good mates has a mint s2000 and another just sold his eg track car with a supercharged k24. There not all bad or is it the owners u hate?

I don't mind the car(s) - it's just the owners are morons.. they would say their car is better than a ferrari because it runs 10s or some lame arse bullshit

Edited by Johnnilicte

I don't mind the car(s) - it's just the owners are morons.. they would say their car is better than a ferrari because it runs 10s or some lame arse bullshit

I do agree with that (i guess i'm also a honda hate crusader).

but because there's a video of one beating a lambo on the internet or beating a 35GTR down the quater, they will say how superior they are... bro they were designed by Senna.... lol

Well that just leads to a logical inconsistency, doesn't it. By the train of logic that "hate marque = like cars but not a tiny selection of retarded owners", you should really be telling us of your disdain for Nissan too. Add drifting to the list for the same reasons.

hondas and golf GTIs. They are always the cars that, depsite sitting in crawling traffic, will launch up beside me and double clutch down as they get next to me, and then suddenly its a f**king battle for who has the fastest lane.

Shits me every time.

and dont even get me f**king started on the ZEN GARAGE bullshit. my god. couldnt be more wank unless you literally whipped it out and gripped it.

and dont even get me f**king started on the ZEN GARAGE bullshit. my god. couldnt be more wank unless you literally whipped it out and gripped it.

Preaching to the choir, man.

Such an over-hyped circlejerk.

They are doing a cars and coffee style meet this weekend, which I was interested in going to photograph some exotic cars.

they have a disclaimer along the lines of 'this is for exotics, classics and luxury vehicles, if you dont meet criteria you'll be parked outside the venue' - WHICH IS FINE. no issue with that.

Then they pull 10 cars to make 'tokyo alley' which is all their mates with stanced cars, including Sergios (a zen owner) bucket of shit V35.

I want to go take good pictures of some classic super cars, I dont want some 15 grand nugget that I see 3 of every commute in the f**king frame.

Like they are that ego driven that they A) think the V35 is on the same plane of existence as a ferrari, lambo, porsche etc and B) they cant throw an event and NOT put their cars in it.

f**k, at least Justins R32 has some pedigree to it. The Mazda MPS and VW on bags and a V35 with carbon bootlid are straight out of f**king cabramatta.

Edited by Varvs

Love my 180. My daughter says my car makes vroom noise and is bouncy bouncy with the cutest smile on her face, can't go wrong with that mate.

• Upvote 1

I'm 36 and still ride a skateboard and a bmx so I don't think I'm too old for my 180 :lol:

• Upvote 2