Sign in to follow this  
Thesqual

Edward lee's?

Hey guys,

I currently live in WA,

I posted before about purchasing a 180sx type x, I've been hunting the streets and gumtree for a 180sx type x (minimal mods)

I was just wondering if anyone here has dealt with edward lee's before? Purchasing from afar or Nearby.

I have heard some bad things about them winding the ODo back. But i'm unsure if this is the case for this car?

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/concord/cars-vans-utes/1997-nissan-180sx-type-x-turbo-white-manual-hatchback/1020542152

It's in the pricerange i'm looking for, I'm curious as to your thoughts on this?

I'm not big on buying something i can't see myself. But its hard to find an original spec 180sx x

Cheers guys.

A simple google search will make up your mind (hopefully)

They seem cheesy and if that's what you've heard it's probably tru. Don't honestly expect it to have done those kms. If that were the case it would be still new. Regardless of that it looks pretty clean so take the kms with a grain of salt and if it's in your price range buy it. Remember these motors ect go forever when looked after.

They're probably the most poorly regarded importer in Sydney. Even Xtreme motorsports who were considered one of, if not the best importers were found out to be dodgy.

Hey guys,

I currently live in WA,

I posted before about purchasing a 180sx type x, I've been hunting the streets and gumtree for a 180sx type x (minimal mods)

I was just wondering if anyone here has dealt with edward lee's before? Purchasing from afar or Nearby.

I have heard some bad things about them winding the ODo back. But i'm unsure if this is the case for this car?

http://www.gumtree.c...back/1020542152

It's in the pricerange i'm looking for, I'm curious as to your thoughts on this?

I'm not big on buying something i can't see myself. But its hard to find an original spec 180sx x

Cheers guys.

why not buy from wa? there are plenty here. just post up on jap car parts that youre after a clean stock one and im sure someone will point you in the right direction

The ad is poorly worded, it seems more like an ad for them to import a car to sell to you rather than selling one that's already on shore.

If this is infact the case, the ad doesn't mention anything about compliance either. If it gets to the point you start looking over seas, Iron Chef has a pretty good rep on these forums.

For the love of Jesus, do not buy a car from Edward Lee's.

Edward Lee's are the worst kind of car dealership.

• Upvote 2

Well here is my personal experience with a friends car about 10 years ago. She bought it off them, friend did a service and the oil filter had 50 thousand more km's written on it.

Then i did some digging, top pic is their advertisement for my friends car, bottom is the dealer/broker that THEY bought it from.....

They are pure scum, all import dealerships are pure scum.

Note the kms...

edwardleesBUSTEDHARD_zps80de6d1b.jpg

• Upvote 1

As with any importer, if they are unwilling to supply the japanese auction and de-registration papers then walk away.

However most of the Edward Lees ads show a really nice clean car, but they always say "deposit taken, call us to get one just like this". I think the ad is just to hook you in, and then you get any pile of trash they can find at short notice.

They were on "A Current Affair" a while back. The man himself denied the speedo tampering, but cast blame on the Japanese end of the transaction and stated his company was a victim of this just as much. However from what I saw on Mighty Car Mods, he has that guy Nabu that buys the cars for him directly at auction. So it is his compay both sides of the ocean.

if you're gonna spend the money at Edward Lees, You're better off spending the money at a brothel.

Youre gonna get f**ked either way, but at least at the brothel it might be pleasurable.

My mate bought a type x off them abt a yr or so ago. At first look it was all good. But after they purchased the car and further inspection they found body rust being poorly covered with paint or may have even been liquid paper! Ive seen other posts in regards to edward lees here and there. And majority of the feedback is very negative. I wonder how long they can keep jipping innocent people.

Indeed. Been there few times as a prospective customer for myself on one occasion, and for a number of friends. My experiences go along the lines of:

1. Walk into yard
  2. Check out a bunch of filthy, completely f**ked-out imports until you see one that's actually been detailed... well sort of detailed.
  3. Greased-up Leb swoops in faster than a speeding ash-tray, occasionally whilst half-way through eating a donor kebab (I'm not kidding)
  4. Salesman smashes out a hektik sales pitch often including specs/details that are incorrect, part costs that aren't true (rusty Cusco coilovers worth $6k on every single car) and sometimes including parts that don't exist
  5. Receive the obligatory "jus dial in negtiv 6 camba and itz like on railz bro" handling recommendation
  6. State you're curious to go for a test drive, or them to give you a demo
  7. Salesman rushes you to Phil Lee, who is pumped for you to take it for a test drive after first giving him a non-rufundable $1000 deposit.
  8. Explain that you will never give a deposit for a car you haven't driven in order to test drive it, and that the whole point of the test drive is to decide about the deposit. Suggest that they drive you as an alternative.
  9. Get told they're too busy for you to test drive it, but give them a thousand bucks and you can test drive it now
  10. Reiterate to them your objection about a non-refundable deposit in order to test-drive a car
  11. Phil Lee goes into panic mode and tells you how they can get one from Japan if you don't like that one, so it's ok to give them a deposit
  12. Shake your head and leave

Entertainment aside, the abridged version is that you shouldn't shop there if you're a local, and absolutely not if interstate.

It's even harder to find an original-spec 180sx at Edward Lees. I'm 95% sure a thread was started about that exact same 180sx over a year ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siren_%28mythology%29

• Upvote 2

Thanks for the replies guys,

Yeah i heard something about a r34 gtr from them that was wound back a lot.

I'm not going to buy from him i was just curious,

Thanks for the help though eveyone.

Well here is my personal experience with a friends car about 10 years ago. She bought it off them, friend did a service and the oil filter had 50 thousand more km's written on it.

Then i did some digging, top pic is their advertisement for my friends car, bottom is the dealer/broker that THEY bought it from.....

They are pure scum, all import dealerships are pure scum.

Note the kms...

edwardleesBUSTEDHARD_zps80de6d1b.jpg

Wow dude, f**k dat :/

He is bad news.

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/topic/433851-first-time-gtr-buyer-looking-at-edward-lees/

I would also stay clear of Jacky Chan from CJ Motor for ordering parts.

I had no dramas buying from cj motor (got my greedy profec from there)

Bought it directly off jackie though as his shops only 15 mins away.

Just remembered a story a workmate told me who worked for them.

They had a Soarer come in that wouldn't start, and the tail lights didn't work. Pulled the carpet up looking for a connector, to test continuity, and instead found that the wiring harness was severed from when they joined two cars together :lol: He kept pulling the carpet up to discover the rear half of the car used to be dark green.

Indeed. Been there few times as a prospective customer for myself on one occasion, and for a number of friends. My experiences go along the lines of:

[*]Walk into yard

[*]Check out a bunch of filthy, completely f**ked-out imports until you see one that's actually been detailed... well sort of detailed.

[*]Greased-up Leb swoops in faster than a speeding ash-tray, occasionally whilst half-way through eating a donor kebab (I'm not kidding)

[*]Salesman smashes out a hektik sales pitch often including specs/details that are incorrect, part costs that aren't true (rusty Cusco coilovers worth $6k on every single car) and sometimes including parts that don't exist

[*]Receive the obligatory "jus dial in negtiv 6 camba and itz like on railz bro" handling recommendation

[*]State you're curious to go for a test drive, or them to give you a demo

[*]Salesman rushes you to Phil Lee, who is pumped for you to take it for a test drive after first giving him a non-rufundable $1000 deposit.

[*]Explain that you will never give a deposit for a car you haven't driven in order to test drive it, and that the whole point of the test drive is to decide about the deposit. Suggest that they drive you as an alternative.

[*]Get told they're too busy for you to test drive it, but give them a thousand bucks and you can test drive it now

[*]Reiterate to them your objection about a non-refundable deposit in order to test-drive a car

[*]Phil Lee goes into panic mode and tells you how they can get one from Japan if you don't like that one, so it's ok to give them a deposit

[*]Shake your head and leave

So beautifully written and described, can picture every minute :)

They've also started up a new business of getting turbo Supras and making them NA.

If someone can find the hilarious video of them going through the process and at one point mention that they leave the intercooler for extra cooling.

Cause you know, cooling ambient air with ambient air works a treat.

Making a turbo car NA for P-platers is the most retarded thing going.

JUST BUY A DIFFERENT CAR UNTIL YOU'RE ALLOWED TO DRIVE ONE!!

Making a turbo car NA for P-platers is the most retarded thing going.

JUST BUY A DIFFERENT CAR UNTIL YOU'RE ALLOWED TO DRIVE ONE!!

Or just buy a non turbo variant to begin with LOL.

'Hey ill buy this awesomely clean turbo car, then pay somebody to strip the shit out of it but in a few years till ill pay somebody again to put everything back to normal'

Like what in the f**k.... although Supra owners really are the weirdest bunch out there.

although Supra owners really are the weirdest bunch out there.

Lol, in what way? Only the n/a p plater owners are retarded, but then again, all p platers are retarded lol

Edited by Shadow_Matrix

He is bad news.

http://www.skylinesa...at-edward-lees/

I would also stay clear of Jacky Chan from CJ Motor for ordering parts.

I had no dramas buying from cj motor (got my greedy profec from there)

Bought it directly off jackie though as his shops only 15 mins away.

I had bought from him before aswell. All good until he sends you the wrong or faulty item, then good luck getting your money or product back. Months and months of his lies. I finally had to take him to court. Dodgey and dishonest as they come...

Old thread ^^^ but there was a story on the buisness on aca.

More recently ... As you describe above sounds more like Nisswreck.

Nisswreck are crooks, they wanted $25- $30 for a used fuse box cover, I ended up calling nissan, got brand new one for $15!