Sign in to follow this  
aces51high

sr20det to sr20vet

So I was thinking of getting together some parts to put a sr20vet into my 180sx, not sure where to start though I had a couple of options..

First of all buy a complete engine out of a x-trail which is north south and then plonking that in or secondly buying the necessary parts of off one of those engines and putting them onto the block of my sr20det, Thirdly which I am unsure of would be to buy from a primera which is east west and then taking the head off and putting it onto my block but im unsure if that would actually fit in the direction of my north south engine.

I havent done too much reasearch yet, anyone that has done it, got threads, a complete parts list or just any advice that would point me in the correct direction would be apprechiated.

Currently have a non VCT blacktop.

Edited by aces51high

I'll be interested to see what people have to say about this, I researched it a bit a while ago and from what I've read it's very expensive, most people put the sr20ve onto the det block with a lot of work, because that engine is horizontal there's a problem with the dizzy hitting the firewall

Edited by Coastie

The xtrail motor isn't even a full vvl setup. Only has vvl on the intake. It can be added to the exhaust side though.

P11 head is probably the best choice as it's most easily available, cheapest and has pretty turbo friendly cams. P11 cams/valves will also clear stock det pistons if rebuilding the block isn't an option .

Thanks for the threads, have scrolled through but havent fully read them.

One thing I dont understand though, the P11 head that is from an EW engine isn't it?

As for mods.I've got a fmic. pot, etc nothing fancy. I'n my shed ive got poncams, z32. 740cc injectors, exhaust manifold, fuel pump, and a tomei 7920 turbo kit on the way soon,.

Edited by aces51high

The head isn't really affected by the orientation of the engine. It's more so the block because of differences in the engine mounts and bellhousing bolt holes. There are issues, however, with CAS clearance (it's tight and the firewall may need some love) and obviously cam solenoids have to be relocated with a kit due to firewall clearance. I guess you could run a p12 single solenoid instead of a p11 dual solenoid, but i think that'll still foul on the firewall and needs slight modification to the oil feed channels

Yeh, I though people where putting in EW in and i was like wtf.. but i understand now, take the head off and plonk it on the det block.

As for the CAS im pretty sure i can get an ECU that will eliminate the need for it, such as a Haltech if i am led to be correct.. I was looking at Mazworks and they have a kit with everything you shall need to get everything to fit on/ in place. Which looks like it would be the way too go.

Also i take the the vet cams have two profiles on them and my det cams wont work..?

I think the first thing you should look at it is your budget.

Keeping in mind your cams, turbo, manifold and probably fuel pump are too small.

I'll pretend you didn't ask that last question.

Check out taarks as he has most of the stuff you need and probably cheaper than mazworks

Your det cams will be useless, you should do some research and learn how vvl works it's pretty impressive, also the intake and exhaust ports are different and require custom manifolds, you also need a giant turbo to take full advantage of the setup. There's so much more involved than what's mentioned here

Edited by Coastie

Exhaust ports are identical actually. It's DET exhaust manifolds work perfectly if you elongate the bolt holes 3mm. I overlaid gaskets on mine to check. That said, it was only temporary and a VE specific exhaust manifold is ideal

I agree. You do need a fairly large turbo to make full use of the dual cams. Even on my td06, I wouldn't be surprised if switching to the big lobes didn't actually make that much extra power because of the restrictive turbo.

Edited by nicknack

My bad should've said the flange plates are different.

I've copied this from another thread, it will answer a lot of questions, quote : STR8E180

Intake and exhaust manifolds are ok ? port size on the SR20VET is bigger so the flange plate is different not only is the flange plate different the inlet of the plenum will be facing the wrong way when u bolt it onto the cylinder head in a rear wheel drive setup

exhaust flange plate is also different again i got taark to CNC cut me up a P11 flange plate which was different so it had to be modified to use on a SR20VET cylinder head

Does it effect the compression ratio ? yes it does but not sure by how much

Bonnet clearances ? doesnt clear the bonnet ive had to fit a bonnet vent onto my bonnet to clear the rocker cover

OVALRD lowered his engine, gearbox, diff so the rocker cover will clear the bonnet

Does the VVL setup connect to the old VCT ? and is it a better system ? heard it was like the honda VTEC.. not like the VTC.. the sr20VET doesnt have VTC its runs a VVL system the same as honda's V-tec

Is it worth all the hassle or is it worth just reworking the s15 head ? what gains could be expected ? depends if u have the money or not

Also too I have heard that they came standard with a disco potato (2860) it comes with a GT2560 which is a T28BB

u should reali goes threw my SR16ve,sr20ve,sr20v threaad there is heaps of useful info in there because it isnt a str8 bolt on job like u may think

i ran into heaps of problems along the way b4 i could get every thing bolted together and fitted in the engine bay

And the heads compared side by side

image.jpg

Edited by Coastie

Intake ports are way different, definitely.

Compression ratio: DET pistons with VE head = +0.7 compression points. So a p11 VE head on a standard DET block with 8.5:1 CR pistons will become 9.2:1 or 9.3:1 CR. Valve clearance is ok with stock DET pistons and p11 VE cams only.

My p11 head and rocker cover clear in my s15 by a couple of CM. I have stock mounts too.

Reworking a s15 DET head will never match a stock p11 VE head. A fully ported DET head can't flow as much and it still has an inferior valvetrain.

I tried using VCT output with nistune to control the VVL. Didn't work reliably, but I think that could've been the way I wired things up or an issue with the ECU not responding to changes in the ON and OFF rpm points in the VCT control tables.

I understand how VTEC works and I take it it's quite simliar to VVL, a cam with two differant sized lobes on it and a solinoid that pushes the cam over onto the higer lobe when need be.

I'm trying to get a decent understanding of all the work involved before i get half way through it and then have to get someone else to finish it for me...

I think i read somehwere the the 20vet has indents in the pistons for the valves to have clearance.. I think i read that.

What do you mean by running stock pistions though, say i had cp rods and pistions which would have the same stroke length, that would be okay then? Also putting a cam with higher lift will cause those valves to smash into the pistion then i take it?

Well so far this is getting me on track, but cheers guys.

or u can just buy my engine and save yourself the trouble

IMG_5345.JPGIMG_5343.JPGIMG_5344.JPG

• Upvote 1

How much for it?

I'd rather do it my self. I'll post a guide on how to do it when I finish my build or maybe step by step as I go if anyone wants?

lol i dont think you know what you are in for buddy

lol i dont think you know what you are in for buddy

True Dat

• Upvote 1

I heard it was sold str8e? Give us a ballpark on it.

I'm building a s13 det block with a ve head

I was wondering if I'm using the stock det pistons... Do I need to put valve pockets in the piston or will the stock piston clear the ve valves when in high cam?

Edited by inperio

P11 cams will clear with a s15 block with a 1mm head gasket. Nothing bigger will. I assume there's no difference in piston between a s13 and s15.

P11 cams will clear with a s15 block with a 1mm head gasket. Nothing bigger will. I assume there's no difference in piston between a s13 and s15.

From some research I did I in the past I believe this is correct for s13 motors also.

I started on a budget Ve build and OCD took over and it escalated very quickly lol

Thank u for the replies. I've been planning the build since last year. Already done with the head work and block for the oil lines.

using mazworx relicator kit to simplify some things.

Stock internals. Just overhauled the engine.

I heard about advancing the timing of the intake and retarding the exhaust for better clearance. What would be the effect for power?

Nicknack used a P12 solenoid which allows you to bolt it directly to the back of the head.

Very neat. If you're lucky he might put some pics up :)

I'm so nice! You don't need to tap into the solenoid block to give it oil. Other option is to drill into a nicely pretrapped hole on the head just under one of the intake ports. That feeds oil directly to the solenoid through the head

18945486194_81fdf6c8d0_c.jpg

19568031825_6d8a4953f9_b_d.jpg

• Upvote 1

Go a ve piston and save any hassles if you want to run anything bigger than a p11/12 factory cam down the track