Sign in to follow this  
justwanudrift

BOV's do you need them? Chasing 400hp s14

Hey guys about to finish my s14 and my Bov pipe off the cold side of the intake is sitting hard on the fan shroud. After some thought and info from my machanic says they don't serve any performance purpose will my car still function fine with the pipe blanked off and will it affect external waste gate and boost controller?

will it affect external waste gate and boost controller?

eh?

why would it affect your waste gate and boost controller?

a controversial topic.. *waits for all the keyboard warriors*

I personally don't run them, I cram 1.5bar worth of boost through my motor and don't run any BOV because it's money I can spend on beer.

Hahaha ^

They're just wank factor if you ask me, they always end up leaking and you don't realllly need them unless you're running ridiculous boost

Another '90s fad.

Like turbo timers, and hanging a CD from your rear vision mirror.

• Upvote 1

If you have the fittings already there, it doesnt hurt to put one on.

if you'd have to cut and weld a pipe in, I doubt its worth it.

I have factory side moun still and bought the car with a HKS SSQV, which after 5 long years of making ridiculous noise I eventually plumbed in. still makes some noise but nowhere near as much.

On another note, whoever owned the car before me (In Japan) put a blitz DD BOV on the hotpipe next to the engine bay, so for a while I had TWO atmo bovs.

Seen people run 350kw without one

Those MCM guys should actually test this controversial topic rather than painting coolers black...

id say its worth it, if you get one that sounds good. iv got an apexi which sounds similar to flutter.

reason i say it's worth it, is cause you dont lose boost between gear changes haha. you dont lose much with flutter, but it's noticeable

Edited by King Troll
  • Downvote 1

I know nothing about bov's that's all i think I'll just blank the pipe off or wield it closed they just draw more attention to the car anyway

my car, stock car with a AFM will dump extra fuel into the engine without a BOV when a BOV is suppose to activate, e.g off throttle after boost. i see this via my AFR gauge all the time when shifting between gears or on and off throttle, it'll get a large amount of fuel dumped into the engine before it will stabilise itself again, when i say large i mean it can hit 9:1 before going back to 13-14:1. even when im on 5% throttle on and off, it'll still get a slight dump of fuel.

it is shit for fuel economy and imo engine drives smoother with one because your not getting massive dumping of fuel even if for a split second.

will it make more power or not, dont think it has any effect in this part

Edited by AE86557

If you have the fittings already there, it doesnt hurt to put one on.

This was the only reason why I ran one. Was cheaper to buy a $10 free freight China BOV off ebay than it was to re-make or modify the pipes.

Mind you, I left it completely closed. I think I just ran the vacuum line to nowhere :lol:

time for MAP sensor ECUs :)

BOV/Flutters/whatever the fuark you want.. haha

the Z32s are MAF arent they?

time for MAP sensor ECUs :)

BOV/Flutters/whatever the fuark you want.. haha

the Z32s are MAF arent they?

He said MAP not MAF

Yeah I know, I was just confirming something to tell a friend he was wasting his time.

Mass Air Flow sensors and Mass Air Pressure sensors are two different things mate. A Z32 Air Flow Meter is a Mass Air Flow type sensor.

Or are you asking a different question?

- Lance

Edited by Captain Wow

Synchronic BOV claims to be the most efficient and doesn't have wank factor.

I'll let u know how it goes :)

Mass Air Flow sensors and Mass Air Pressure sensors are two different things mate. A Z32 Air Flow Meter is a Mass Air Flow type sensor.

Or are you asking a different question?

- Lance

I know Z32s are MAF. My mate said they were MAP. I was clarifying as hes normally pretty cluey.

Syncronics work exactly the same way as the SSQV does.

Synchronic bypasses the turbo under light loads to eliminate restriction.

Similar but not the same.

Bovs imo are there to extend the longevity of the turbo it stops compressor stall.but in saying that are they going to affect performance no. Also has nothing to do with wastegate at all or boost unless it leaks basically it is your choice to run one or not

It's personal preference to have or not have one.

I've run one on every turbo car I've owned, my tuner wants me to run one.

I've owned 6 turbocharged car's from 3 different manufacturers, only one of these didnt come fitted with some form of bov/dv and that was a 1984 model cordia.

Those MCM guys should actually test this controversial topic rather than painting coolers black...

like this (only 5 years old lol) ... :P

http://youtu.be/Z_fG_b65WiU

• Upvote 1

like this (only 5 years old lol) ... :P

http://youtu.be/Z_fG_b65WiU

They are sponsored by GFB of course they'll say good things about them lol

They didn't say good or bad did they? Haven't seen it all.. I have't run a bov since forever. It's personal choice (as said). If you want one, have one, if not. all good, you don't need one.

I know marty personally and hes a pretty straight forward type of person. no bullshit.

For a normal street car, not some track beast quickshifting at 8500rpm with an anti-lag setup, a recirculation valve (a.k.a plumbback bov) is superior in every way. Less noise, better fuel consumption, less damaging to the Catalytic Converter, less soot in the exhaust.

Comparing an atmo-bov to no-bov is a moot point:

• An atmo bov results in a rich AFR spike due to metered air being read by the AFM once before being lost, whereas no-bov does the same thing except the spike is richer, as the air is read on both the way in and the way out before being lost.
  • An atmo-bov adds cost, complexity and another point of failure, whereas no-bov is just a pipe that adds no cost or weaknesses.
  • Both have a wanky sound that will make young guys want to suck your cock, Joe Average abuse you and cops try to give you a reacharound. Could be a bonus depending on your preferences.

OP, I will also mention that you should ignore people like your mechanic who make the argument "you can run without it = serves no purpose". There are plenty of things that you can run cars without, however they are not 'better' without them; they're just more simplistic. For instance:

• Thermostat
  • Knock sensor
  • Oil Pressure Sensor
  • Air Flow Meter (tune based on throttle position only)
  • Turbo water lines/water jacket (oil cooled only)
  • Piston oil squirters
  • Oxygen Sensor
  • Catalytic Converter
  • Clutch driven plate springs (run unsprung plate)
  • Charcoal cannister
  • Electronic boost controller/solenoid (run basic wastegate spring pressure only)
  • Air filter

The reason these things exist in the first place is for greater performance, reliability, efficiency, cleaner emissions and a smoother driving experience. A recirculation valve falls into this category.

• Upvote 3