Sign in to follow this  
ankles

Turbo broken? please help

Hi people, seems I only come here to look at peoples stuff cooler than mine and to ask for advice about how to fix my dodgy bastard haha

Anyway, my Silvia has been making a weird noise on spool up for a little while now. It makes a large whoosh noise, very different to the turbo whistle it used to have. My theory so far is a bent fin?

Can anyone give me some help or advice to look for something. It is still making full boost with no leaks or bleeds on boost.

Thanks in advance! :)

only real way to tell is pull the turbo off and have a look mate.. you may be able to see in the front whilst its still on the car and see if anything is obviously wrong, but you'd be better off just pulling the turbo off and going from there..

Any loss of power?

Did up change any part of the intake? The spool is a lot louder with a pod filter

Could it be as simple as a blown turbo-manifold gasket?

Check the gasket on the back of the turbo. its probably that as its a shitty spot.

Take the turbo intake pipe from the air filter off and check the play of the turbo shaft. Should only have a little play. If it's okay then it's probably not the turbo itself.

If the shaft's broken, it'll feel pretty much the same.

whoosh is fine its the whoooshs you have to worry about. Seriously take a potato cam video and upload it to youtube or something. The brain trust is pretty good here but they cant help you if you don't try to help them :). try to take note of the circumstances it happens and differences in feel/sound from normal.

record the sound and post it.. if you can keep the rpm gauge in view and say what turbo you have ... cause it is impossible really to tell what you are talking about..

Pull the induction pipe off and have a feel of its shaft. There should be under a 1mm of play side wise with almost nothing in and out. Rebuild would be required If the shaft tolerance is out.