Sign in to follow this  
ActionDan

Sealing S13 Rear Firewall - Surge Tank Setup

It seems like a good idea to seal up the rear firewall if you have a surge tank setup, I'm not sure if this is an actual requirement on a track car, but I've bought some .6mm aluminium sheet already.

The question I have is how hardcore you need to go, if there's not some AASA rule on it.

Can you just cover over the main hole and the speaker holes or do you need to cover in the whole thing including the wholes where the wires run through etc.

I ask as it determines how much sheet I'll have left and if I get carried away and do door cards too.

bend it to cover the whole thing, run some sikaflex around it and rivet it down is the easiest way.

s13 rear firewall.jpg

That one two pieces? Got more pics?

Yeah that was pretty much the plan. Though self tapers not rivets.

Just means I need to drill them out if I ever have to remove it, nope.

That one two pieces? Got more pics?

Yeah that was pretty much the plan. Though self tapers not rivets.

Self tappers are far worse than rivets when screwing them into sheet metal, as they'll never be as secure due to the non-existent thread contact. If you want to do it properly, it should either be a bolt/nut or a rivet. The OEMs never use self tappers into plain sheet metal, they exclusively use self-tappers into Raul Plugs, or have a long punched opening insead of a drilled hole.

Edited by pmod

I was thinking about that actually, after the work on the surge tank setup that was going through to sheet metal.

I'll make a call when I get in there and see what contact I can get on it as to rivets or nut/bolt.

You could use rivnuts instead if having to drill it out is a big problem?

The part near the back windscreen is a pain in the ass trying to get the drill in there.

I keep hearing about these, never used them. Can I just get them at any Bunnings? Any special install method? Standard rivet gun OK?

I have zero idea on these, will do some reading.

Just reading up on these now and realising how stupid my questions are...

I got my rivnut gun off eBay with a heap of the rivnuts for about $100.

just popping up to say I have achieved the impossible and got a 180sx logbooked as a 2B sports car with cams :D

10663416_10152515274691107_1011097590_o.jpg?oh=680c1ad0cab82d24f319bcb7b21e3efd&oe=5425395A&__gda__=1411722315_a19492125532a21a24f4784ed2789925