Spazo

86 or MX5?

46 members have voted

1. 1. 86 or Mx5?

• mx5
    • Other
    • They're both ghey

mx-5 for street, 86 for track

just leave the mx-5 stock. 86 just stick a large turbo on it, power problems solved. not rocket science.

I went down that road, didn't end so well when one of the rods decided it didn't want to be part of the engine anymore. I still have the full engine loom, direct injectors and some other accessories if anyone wants them. Fsq5b4f.jpg

VHoO31K.jpg

Edited by Cootha

86 with built engine and turbo....... but depends what you want from a car if speed and power isnt important id just keep it stock

86 with built engine and turbo....... but depends what you want from a car if speed and power isnt important id just keep it stock

Built 86 is getting into some serious cash though, my setup got really expensive really quick even without opening the motor.

I never driven an mx5 but the stock 86 imo really was not designed as a straight line car, sure its slow stock but with a few handling mods and wide tyres it really comes alive and was so much fun on mountain roads. If you like the 86 and mx5 why not consider a rx8 or s2k? Their both pretty old now but you can pick up a nice example for pretty cheaply these days.

Edited by Cootha

Built 86 is getting into some serious cash though, my setup got really expensive really quick even without opening the motor.

I never driven an mx5 but the stock 86 imo really was not designed as a straight line car, sure its slow stock but with a few handling mods and wide tyres it really comes alive and was so much fun on mountain roads. If you like the 86 and mx5 why not consider a rx8 or s2k? Their both pretty old now but you can pick up a nice example for pretty cheaply these days.

I'd be all for an S2000 if it were me, but for the op, what's the point of selling his S15 circa 2001 for an S2000/Rx8 circa 2001? I gather the whole incentive of the exercise was to get something newer

Edited by pmod

I'd be all for an S2000 if it were me, but for the op, what's the point of selling his S15 circa 2001 for an S2000/Rx8 circa 2001? I gather the whole incentive of the execrise was to get something newer

Oh yeah sorry your 100% right I missed the bit about something newer, i just thought he wanted something different haha.

When i was at Toyota for a service on my corolla daily at the time.... they guys told me the owner ordered a brand new 86 for him and his son and at the same time ordered x2 brand new sti engine to drop straight in..... so guess it depends how deep your pockets are and what you want........

Edited by 180sxnit

When i was at Toyota for a service on my corolla daily at the time.... they guys told me the owner ordered a brand new 86 for him and his son and at the same time ordered x2 brand new sti engine to drop straight in..... so guess it depends how deep your pockets are and what you want........

No way thats exactly the path I ended up going.

No way thats exactly the path I ended up going.

yeah mate this was when they had not even landed yet.. that was at the pre order stage

That's pretty cool. Were the engines fitted at the factory or did you have to take care of it yourself? Got any pics or vids or anything?

H

That's pretty cool. Were the engines fitted at the factory or did you have to take care of it yourself? Got any pics or vids or anything?

Its an entirely custom job, that would be a dream if it were a factory option. Im a mechanical engineer and my mates an aircraft maintenance engineer who's pretty good at tig welding/fab work, his dad owns a mechanic shop which made things much easier. We fabricated pretty much everything ourselves. Its not a straight drop in bolt up job like you might expect,the brz/86 box wont bolt up to the ej25 so a modified sit dog box was used. You could mill an adaptor pate/ the bell housing and use the standard box but a built engine would destroy it in no time. The entire engine bay was guttered and the starter motor relocated. Its not an easy swap and i don't expect to see many other ej powered 86's out there anytime soon as just going turbo is much easier if you don't want stupid power. I personally think the chassis is a great starting point for a tuner car. If you want an 86 I would wait until they come as a factory turbo, the car just feels like its missing its true potential in it's current form.

Seems like Toyota/Subaru really dropped the ball in trying to make the brz/86 fun and tunable on a low budget and then make the car completely incompatible with boost and the obvious desire to dump an ej in there...

Considering they sell stripped down tuner models in Japan you would have thought they had the forsight to make sure their own performance engines would be a bolt in affair...

Edited by Junny

Yep, both toyota and mazda. Everyone wants a bit of power and I'm sure if they even glanced at forums, social media or comments on articles they'd know that. It's like they're being stubborn about it.

Yep, both toyota and mazda. Everyone wants a bit of power and I'm sure if they even glanced at forums, social media or comments on articles they'd know that. It's like they're being stubborn about it.

It could actually be quite a good marketing strategy, I mean the 86 and brz are hugely successful. Bringing out a turbo model in a few years time will generate massive sales since all the non turbo guys will want the turbo model. There is already a factory turbo version of the fa20 which makes 300 horsepower so maybe we'll see some version of this engine making its way into the cars in a few years.

Edited by Cootha

^ Now we're talking. Love it.

Would it be acceptable to put a chev badge on it?

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little :D

I took another mx-5 out for a drive, this one was a 2010 so it was a bit smoother than the last one... the guy at the dealership didn't give me a time frame so I took the coast road up to Stanwell park and back, hooned around some of my back streets and I had a blast.

The 86 probably handled a bit better but I really love the convertible thing, it's just nice seeing the sky, and I like the softer suspension too, it's more comfy but I actually find it more lively. Oh, and it's plenty fast enough for me, I am pretty slow these days.

If anyone wants my s15, or knows someone, please share this for me:

http://www.gumtree.c...0sx-/1058564880

Edited by Spazo

Waits for "how to get more power" thread on mx5 forum, closely followed by "how do I seal my soft top, it leaks when it rains", and then finally, "how can I get better chassis response out of the convertable"

Nah.. It has enough power, I'm gonna get a hard top and the handling is good. It's just loads of fun. The steering is much more direct than my Silvia.

Go try an NC, I bet you'll like it.

Good to hear the little roadster appeals to you, I think they're great, albeit the power was a little too low for my taste on the last one I drove. Never really understood the popularity of hardtops on them though; might as well get a mid-late 2000's Mercedes SLK if the drawbacks of a ragtop are an issue.

Waits for "how to get more power" thread on mx5 forum, closely followed by "how do I seal my soft top, it leaks when it rains", and then finally, "how can I get better chassis response out of the convertable"

cars designed from the ground up as a convertible usually dont have any handling issues, especially those made in the last decade.

cutting the roof off an existing platform is where the problems end up.

Don't forget that pretty much the entire planet knows how to put an LSwhatever in an mx5 now. Flyin Miata being prob most well known kit manufacturer.

apparently the weight distribution doesn't even change much.

Edited by Skepticism

Depends what you're after, but the way I went was I kept my 180 and bought a motorbike to ride to work. I found a good deal and got a Suzuki GSX250F Across for $1700 with a fresh service and new tyres and the service manual etc. 56k kms on it. Uses a 3rd the petrol my car did and I don't have to spend much maintaining it. And rego is about $260 for a year in the ACT compared to $950 or something for the car nowadays. Free parking anywhere too. I figured it'd pay for itself in 5 months of petrol and parking costs just getting to work. That bike has an unusual helmet storage boot where most bikes have the fuel tank, so it's really convenient too.

This way I'm not warming my car up for 5 minutes in the morning only to drive 10 minutes to work and then pay $8 for parking haha. And the savings, I can put towards mods on the 180 haha. The motorbikes satisfy your need for some fun on the road as well. Mine's one of the fastest LAMS approved bikes, and it's an inline 4 that revs to 17,000 rpm so it sounds like an F1 car lol and shifts gears so quick with the sequential box.

I can see this being a bad option if you regularly need a lot of space in your car for people or transporting large items, but my remedy to that is having a girlfriend with a larger car with more room haha. Hers has cruise control and is cheaper on fuel and good for long trips. Or if I need, I can use my car to transport most things and people I need.

Good to hear the little roadster appeals to you, I think they're great, albeit the power was a little too low for my taste on the last one I drove. Never really understood the popularity of hardtops on them though; might as well get a mid-late 2000's Mercedes SLK if the drawbacks of a ragtop are an issue.

Well the red one I drove on the weekend had the canvas and it was the first time I'd really taken a close look because I had lots of time with the car, and I just didn't like seeing the gizzards of the car down the back where the hood folded. On certain colours the canvas looks fine when it's up but the hardtop looks pretty cool IMO, and it has a bit more security from the rain and other things.

Don't forget that pretty much the entire planet knows how to put an LSwhatever in an mx5 now. Flyin Miata being prob most well known kit manufacturer.

apparently the weight distribution doesn't even change much.

I don't think it's really a drop in affair though, we would see it more often if it was. I'd love a v8 in a tiny car.

Depends what you're after, but the way I went was I kept my 180 and bought a motorbike to ride to work. I found a good deal and got a Suzuki GSX250F Across for $1700 with a fresh service and new tyres and the service manual etc. 56k kms on it. Uses a 3rd the petrol my car did and I don't have to spend much maintaining it. And rego is about $260 for a year in the ACT compared to $950 or something for the car nowadays. Free parking anywhere too. I figured it'd pay for itself in 5 months of petrol and parking costs just getting to work. That bike has an unusual helmet storage boot where most bikes have the fuel tank, so it's really convenient too.

This way I'm not warming my car up for 5 minutes in the morning only to drive 10 minutes to work and then pay $8 for parking haha. And the savings, I can put towards mods on the 180 haha. The motorbikes satisfy your need for some fun on the road as well. Mine's one of the fastest LAMS approved bikes, and it's an inline 4 that revs to 17,000 rpm so it sounds like an F1 car lol and shifts gears so quick with the sequential box.

I can see this being a bad option if you regularly need a lot of space in your car for people or transporting large items, but my remedy to that is having a girlfriend with a larger car with more room haha. Hers has cruise control and is cheaper on fuel and good for long trips. Or if I need, I can use my car to transport most things and people I need.

I used to ride motocross when I was growing up but I'm not too keen on putting my life in the hands of others... I had been considering it.

Thought of 370z?

Yeah, I had been pretty keen on a 370z but I went for a look at a dealership and realized they're pretty big, I want a lightweight small car. I wanted to test drive it but the sales guy didn't wanna let me. I still had a seat, didn't really like the cabin feel as much as I thought I did at the motor show... it kinda swallows you up.

I used to ride motocross when I was growing up but I'm not too keen on putting my life in the hands of others... I had been considering it.

I guess it does depend where you live and in the busiest parts of sydney it would be more dangerous than where I am in Canberra, but I really don't think you can beat motorbikes for commuting convenience since you can leave whenever you want like a car but you can park anywhere for free and you can lane filter through the traffic legally now, making your journey in traffic much faster.

Yeah, I had been pretty keen on a 370z but I went for a look at a dealership and realized they're pretty big, I want a lightweight small car. I wanted to test drive it but the sales guy didn't wanna let me. I still had a seat, didn't really like the cabin feel as much as I thought I did at the motor show... it kinda swallows you up.

I agree. Those are a bit chunky for my tastes. The lighter the car, the more fun it is. And the better on fuel, better handling, better braking. There's basically no downsides to a smaller car unless you can't fit a decent engine in it or if you're 6 foot 6 driving an old mini haha. But in that last case, you could probably just take the front seats out lol.

Picked up my little buddy from Melbourne yesterday. Driving it on a permit hence no number plates.

photo 2 (1).JPG

photo 1 (1).JPG