Spazo

86 or MX5?

46 members have voted

1. 1. 86 or Mx5?

• mx5
    • Other
    • They're both ghey

He's happy cos he knows he won't break down every10,000 k's

Mine has been working pretty well, fingers crossed, it cant make it 50km without paint flaking off tho. f**king

didnt read through the other responses but..here is my 2c.

id never think i would sell my s15..but i did, why? in a nut shell:

- i drove a track prepped NB once, got back into the s15 & it felt like a toyota camry (dont get me wrong i was in love with the s15)

- although not fast in straight line.. & prob the worst thing about it! it's very well balanced.. very fun.. & you'd be suprised with some mods, which cars you'd be keeping up with/owning on corners & out braking on corner entry..including 86's & evos.

- cant really comment too much about the NC but there are supercharger kits for these.. some swap with a larger n/a motor, they run impressive times at wakefield.

- NB's with bolt on turbo 5-10psi & stock internals would run a low 13 quarter (potential is there if you want) & the internals handle it.

- much cheaper & easier to maintain - they dont break as easily.

- there is are reason why they are the best selling sports car/roadster in the world.

s15 although sleek, good looking & awesome performance, good at skids etc is not very well balanced.

good luck!

Cheers man, I bought one, pics on the other page + members rides.

Same here, test drove an NC, got back in my s15 and realized how sharp the mazda is. I don't think the s15 is unbalanced but in my s15 I thought I knew how to take corners quickly.. Now in my mx5 I can't even get near the cars limits, it's amazing. I kinda outgrew drift so I don't see why I needed the s15 anymore, I get way more thrills from this.

Show us your NB?

Edited by Spazo

My mrs owned a 1998 (or was it 2000, cant remember now) model MX5 (the model with no pop up lights).

She liked to chuck it around a bit but i could barely drive it because i am too big. My knees would be against the bottom of the steering wheel so i could not turn the wheel properly and my right arm would be pressed against the door and window.

Aren't you tall spazo? How do you find the room in your car?

Cheers man, I bought one, pics on the other page + members rides.

Same here, test drove an NC, got back in my s15 and realized how sharp the mazda is. I don't think the s15 is unbalanced but in my s15 I thought I knew how to take corners quickly.. Now in my mx5 I can't even get near the cars limits, it's amazing. I kinda outgrew drift so I don't see why I needed the s15 anymore, I get way more thrills from this.

Show us your NB?

just realised youve posted in the mx5 cartalk forum also!

my comment on s15 being un-balanced refers to its weight distribution & the fact that its ass lets go when you push the car around corners i.e. it's easy to find it's limits, where as in the mx it's totally different. i ran tein monoflex susp on my s15 & it had pretty good handling through royal nasho.. when i bought the NB, i can easily push that twice as hard & i wasnt reaching anywhere near it's limit at all & thats on stock suspension.

alot of people (including me at one stage), think they are gay or a women's car, but they are far from it.. it's once you drive it properly.. you realise what it is. the thing i miss most about my s15.. is the turbo torque hit & skids..haha. as you get older you get over straight line speed..

Jas.

First time through the natio I was blown away, I've never driven anything that corners so quick. And it's so easy to drive too.

Chap - I'm normal height.. But the seats in these are pretty low so taller guys would fit.

I don't think the S15 is unbalanced, the weight distribution is pretty close to 50:50 isn't it? The stock NB suspension setup is probably superior to the stock S15 in some ways and the car has less overhang and weighs less and is low from factory so the geometry is sorted on the suspension. They weigh 20% less and weight makes way more difference to cornering than most people acknowledge. I think that's 90% of the real advantage the NB has over the S15. Also, a lot of people modify the suspension on the S chassis cars poorly and just get too hard of a spring and leave it practically undamped to try to compensate. Then lower it and have too much camber and mess up the geometry and don't set it all up well.

Not that I don't like MX5s, I think they're awesome and lighter cars are even more fun to drive (which is why i went S chassis over skyline to begin with), I'm just defending them. It's usually not their fault that they don't handle ideally. Other than them weighing more, which is a trade-off.

Edited by Rhino-ACT

Good points rhino @ skep.

5% either way is splitting hairs to most of us, and I think my s15 would have been better if the suspension had a bit more travel (it was the usual low + stiff Silvia thing).

I think lightness in general allows these things to be so nimble. You don't have the torque of the sr to pull out of corners but the speed you can enter and carry through a corner more than makes up for it. 118kw isn't much but it does alright if you know how to make full use of it (not saying I do)

Edited by Spazo

I reckon if you don't go too low and you get your coilovers adjusted right with maybe a corner balance and lower spring rates than the drift people go, with some beefier but not absurd sway bars, it's a fairly decent setup. You can correct somewhat for roll centre if need be. With all that, the handling is pretty decent. Chuck the battery in the boot also, for bringing that weight distribution closer to 50:50, but you're probably right that that isn't too important compared to these other things too.But with all that, the only thing going against the S-chassis car compared to the mx5 is weight, which is significant, but the other stuff would make a big difference too.

I'm not really qualified to say but if you saw under my mx5, there's shitloads of bracing and control arms, it looks a race car under there.

f**k, I accidentally my whole post, basically reiterated what Rhino said plus some whinging about stiff swaybars removing rather than adding grip, and roll centres and stuff

but yeah, from what I've seen the mx5 is a pure momentum car in that its setup revolves around flinging itself into corners faster than anything else. So if anything it's actually harder to drive quickly round a track, if iRacing is anything to go by at least, even if its handling potential is much higher - because if you stuff up one little corner in the mx5 before a fast section, you're losing a few tenths every second until you get to a slow section again. Would be really fun to drive IRL actually

Edited by Skepticism

Sounds like we basically agree on everything. Sway bars with softish springs seemed to be an improvement over stock sway bars for me tho. I'm sure you can go overboard with them though. I have an R32 GTR rear one and an adjustable front one on the middle setting. 5/4kg spring rates with matched damping and not too low. Body roll is fairly minimal now. Definitely helps keep the car flatter and can be used for balancing over vs understeer, which could go badly if you balanced that wrong. After the sway bars I could definitely take corners faster and turn in quicker.

EDIT: Ah ok Spazo, if they've done suspension work to the MX5 already, they may have done it properly and then it has that plus the weight so that'd make a big difference.

Edited by Rhino-ACT