Sign in to follow this  
fullbooost

SR S14 Gearbox Issues

Hi Guys

I recently bought a rough S13 with S14 Sr20det running gear off a mate.

Unfortunately about 6 months ago some scum bags stole the car and abused it.

I am having issues with 2nd gear. Its fine from 1st to 2nd at low revs the majority of the time not so much at high revs. However is crunching shockingly down changing from 3rd to 2nd at most revs...

I have drained the oil and disappointingly found this (refer to photo) can any box gurus tell me what these pieces are..?

Drained oil was a gold flake colour (refer to photo)... So I am thinking its syncro’s but not sure and don’t have that much knowledge when it comes to gearboxes.

I have replaced the oil with a fully synthetic Penrite oil (75W-90) and a Nulon Smooth Shift gearbox treatment as a temporary fix but have not driven the car yet to see if there is any improvement.

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated

Cheers James

10405444_10153199048853378_7584799412923887878_n.jpg

10644952_10153199049038378_8318866558240048196_n.jpg

Looks like pieces of synchro

You can use redline shockproof light oil as a temporary fix will usually get rid of the crunching but will need to be rebuilt and new Synchros on 3rd to 2nd gear

If you are planing on rebuilding it I wouldn't use that oil as it usually only mask the problem for alil while and will come a lot worse and possible blow the box and do further damage

But if you don't care about it use that oil may last a year or 2 months and just replace the whole box when it blows

Cheaper than rebuilding it as minimum you looking at $700 up depending on the damage and parts needed and you might pickup a good second hand box s13 $350 s14 $500 up

Thanks for the helps guys, appreciate it!

Test drove the car today after fresh fluids, no difference still fu*ked...

Gonna go till she blows then buy a new box

Looks like a shifting insert. I didn't know Sr boxes had them, on rb boxes they come out during hard 3rd to 4th gear changes.

See below for a pic of a shifting insert before it gets chewed by the gears.

62017-2_9.jpg

Btw the solid triangle piece in your pic looks like part of a selector fork. Generally the clips come out, gear changes start to crunch, if left as is eventually you break a selector fork.

Personally, I'd go looking for a nice SR box whilst your box is still mostly functional, crack the new box open, check it out, replace the bearings, replace the seals, fit it and then crack your screwed box open and inspect it. You might see another blown box come up for cheap, which you can liberate parts from to fix that gearbox.

Pur40m is right in saying that the price of a replacement gearbox will almost certainly be cheaper than the rebuild cost of your current box, but you have to assume that the bearings in most second-hand SR box's are bad or on their way out. You're better off sourcing one now whilst you can still drive the car, rather than waiting until it completely fails and you have no time to tidy up a replacement unit.

Edited by pmod

Thanks boil2, its definitely a shifting insert clip or 2 that I found..

Pmod yeah I didn't think about picking up another blown box to pinch parts off, only thing I am a bit unsure and not too confident when it comes to gearboxes but worth a shot and would be nice to have a replacement at hand.

Thanks again appreciate the help lads