Sign in to follow this  
definition

Some Brief Noob Questions - S15

Hi guys, I have recently bought a 200sx S15, it was pretty much stock as a rock. I have searched far and wide and can't find specific answers to my questions, they are a bit noobish, but im still learning about s15s :P

- 200sx vs Silvia - I understand there is a big power difference in the two due to the turbo being bush vs ball bearing and the tune and injectors, however, I don't quite understand how there can be an almost 40kw difference between the two. What basic mods would make a 200sx as quick as a silvia?

- Intercooler - I have a stock intercooler on it, is there any risk of damage running 10-13psi on the stock intercooler? Or is it more of a thing that hinders performance?

Current mods:

full 3 inch exhaust

boost restrictor removed

Sorry again about the noobish questions, and thanks heaps in advance :)

both pretty much the same cars. Once boosted up to the same boost they make the same power anyways.

For stock intercooler i wouldnt run anything above 10psi. only cos the stock core is pretty small and doesnt get too much air. if u go front mount kit, then you can run 12 - 14psi if u want.

A Silvia and a 200sx are the same car, my Adm S15 is badged as a Silvia but says 200sx on the rego papers. You're asking about the differences between Adm and Jdm, Jdms run a more aggressive tune and 10psi boost as opposed to 7psi on the Adm, injectors are the same 450cc but jdm run at higher base fuel pressure to make them 480cc.

The turbos are the same T28 there's just a handful that came with the ball bearing type, they both make the same peak power there's just a slight difference in spool up time.

The first thing I did when I got my car was up the boost to about 12psi and ran like that for ages without a problem

Keen on a FMIC on my s15 too, seems most kits available these days will be a defect (battery tray hole).. GKtech don't sell their return flow kit anymore and the ARC is an arm and leg!

Anyone on the goldy want to help me out with a custom setup that doesn't require cutting/uses standard IC piping?

- 200sx vs Silvia - I understand there is a big power difference in the two due to the turbo being bush vs ball bearing and the tune and injectors, however, I don't quite understand how there can be an almost 40kw difference between the two. What basic mods would make a 200sx as quick as a silvia?

It's not so much the turbo itself, it's more so the timing maps. If you look at the JDM timing map vs. ADM timing maps there's quite a difference up top. This would be implemented due to fuel differences & ambient air temperatures.

- Intercooler - I have a stock intercooler on it, is there any risk of damage running 10-13psi on the stock intercooler? Or is it more of a thing that hinders performance?

Hot intake charge = less power, as there's less oxygen resulting in a richer burn

Possibly running that much boost on a stock intercooler on a warm day going up a hill with a full car load with more than factory boost would result in tears. You'll probably hear engine knock/pinging.

tune and IIRC the exhaust was slightly bigger on japspec from ADM??

and nah there is very small chance of damage to the stock system. that's the whole idea behind the stock ecu, sensors, etc. to counter environmental conditions based upon air density and afr. I cant see 10psi having issues.

In north qld... I ran 15psi boost T with stock smic. no problems for 2 years, heat soak resulted in dramatic decrease in performance.

I did not do track days with laps after laps in the middle of summer - bit of common sense shall prevail here.

as a daily / fun car, the stock smic works.

a fmic will be beneficial regardless and should be looked at when getting to the peak of the turbos performance and efficiency range resulting in significantly higher charge temps.

and nah there is very small chance of damage to the stock system. that's the whole idea behind the stock ecu, sensors, etc. to counter environmental conditions based upon air density and afr. I cant see 10psi having issues.

In north qld... I ran 15psi boost T with stock smic. no problems for 2 years, heat soak resulted in dramatic decrease in performance.

I did not do track days with laps after laps in the middle of summer - bit of common sense shall prevail here.

a fmic will be beneficial regardless and should be looked at when getting to the peak of the turbos performance and efficiency range resulting in significantly higher charge temps.

I have seen, and spoken to guys that have blown stock motors on stock turbos with loads of boost using the JDM ECU...

For some reason, the factory ECU doesn't have a TP Cut set low similar to the R33/R34 ECU so everyone just goes and hammers in loads of boost... The factory JDM ECU has bucket loads of timing at peak torque and this is where it knocks.

ADM ECU has less timing around peak torque, so would be fine.

Anyhow, best to keep boost under 12psi until you're ready for a new ECU..

I have seen, and spoken to guys that have blown stock motors on stock turbos with loads of boost using the JDM ECU...

For some reason, the factory ECU doesn't have a TP Cut set low similar to the R33/R34 ECU so everyone just goes and hammers in loads of boost... The factory JDM ECU has bucket loads of timing at peak torque and this is where it knocks.

ADM ECU has less timing around peak torque, so would be fine.

forgot to mention I had a power fc that was tuned.

but deffo agree, do not wind in 15psi and go flog it.

Thanks heaps for all that, puts my mind at ease a little. Another question though;

With running rich, does it matter? Like my exhaust pops n shoots mini flames periodically, due to blocked bov are these flaames causing engine or internal damage?

i ran my adm s15 for 2 years with not a problem at all on 16psi all day everyday with turbo back exhaust, fmic, apexi avc-r and upgraded gss342 walbro, not a problem at all car loved it

i ran my adm s15 for 2 years with not a problem at all on 16psi all day everyday with turbo back exhaust, fmic, apexi avc-r and upgraded gss342 walbro, not a problem at all car loved it

Yeah ADM timing maps are not that aggressive.. also running that much boost actually doesn't make power as the timing maps are pretty retarded (pun intended) up top.

Thanks heaps for all that, puts my mind at ease a little. Another question though;

With running rich, does it matter? Like my exhaust pops n shoots mini flames periodically, due to blocked bov are these flaames causing engine or internal damage?

depending on how rich. too rich you will wash your bores.

stock ecu should be fine, i ran it for a couple years no probs what so ever, its meant to lean out in the mid rance a bit and you wont get more then 350kms to a tank... but richer up top. you will shoot flames if ya getting stuck into it ... exhaust only pops fire when the hot rich fueled up exhaust mixes with air out of the exhaust pipe. flames wont hurt your car :P

depending on how rich for how long will depend on the extent of bore washing will occur.

Flames get girls moist in the panties lol.

Not my missus, she hates my car because it's "too loud and bumpy and makes weird noises" haha, also because I spend all my time on it.

I'm with the wrong chick aren't I haha

My wife hates my car for all those reasons too, she doesn't mind it so much though if she's driving haha.

Haha I've made her drive it a few times to try and make her appreciate it but she's too scared of it haha wouldn't even hit boos!

haha mine bought me a turbo for a wedding anniversary ;) loves my car and wont let me sell it ;)

haha mine bought me a turbo for a wedding anniversary ;) loves my car and wont let me sell it ;)

Well aren't you a lucky bastard haha

Not too bad, mine bought me the car so I guess I'm spoilt.

Whinges that we spend all our money on these cars but wants us to get into a mountain of debt and be even more broke to own a new car haha

Women logic.

hahah damn aye. i must be lucky then... my gf drives a s15 and loves working on it as much as i do

hahah damn aye. i must be lucky then... my gf drives a s15 and loves working on it as much as i do

It's not a black s15 is it ?

Keen on a FMIC on my s15 too, seems most kits available these days will be a defect (battery tray hole).. GKtech don't sell their return flow kit anymore and the ARC is an arm and leg!

Anyone on the goldy want to help me out with a custom setup that doesn't require cutting/uses standard IC piping?

Don't stress about any of that; if you can cook a meal you can figure it out yourself, because cooking is harder. As long as you don't over-think it, the job is pretty damn easy, and it will be clear enough to you whether it's ok or not once you get started.

Get under your car and map all the dimensions out with a Tape Measure, then buy a Chinese intercooler off eBay to suit the space you have to work with. Cut up some steel angle brace from Bunnings, drill holes to bolt whatever you come up with together, then get the intercooler solidly mounted in place. Once it's in, have a look at your routing paths, order a generic S15 intercooler pipe kit and and then put the jigsaw puzzle together. Once you have the best possible configuration for the pieces you have available, buy silicone joiners and additional pieces of swaged tubing to finish it off.

You'll probably be able to run the cold side below the radiatior if the car isn't too low, have it pop up beside the fan shroud and run up to the throttle body.

Backfiring will eventually plug your Catalytic Converter, and as already said, you can wash the bore if the car is rich enough in normal running (not just momentary hard throttle lift-off). All the flames represent are unburnt fuel being shot out the exhaust valves of the engine, into the hot turbo, then igniting in the exhaust instead of having ignited inside the engine's cylinder bore.

Mine hates mine, asked why I don't buy a C63 AMG, I told her the price tag and she was happy for me to play with my shit box rice rocket.

I've seen some fairly 'similar' couples, but how exactly did you find a chick with the same C63-AMG-obsession you have, and is that necessarily healthy? ;)

Flames get girls moist in the panties lol.

Not my missus, she hates my car because it's "too loud and bumpy and makes weird noises" haha, also because I spend all my time on it.

I'm with the wrong chick aren't I haha

Nothing a good, solid burnout can't solve. I find that chicks that freak out over boost or skids tend to be pretty entertaining in bed, so it can't be all that bad.

Mine hates mine, asked why I don't buy a C63 AMG, I told her the price tag and she was happy for me to play with my shit box rice rocket.

I've seen some fairly 'similar' couples, but how exactly did you find a chick with the same C63-AMG-obsession you have, and is that necessarily healthy? ;)

hahaha, she's a terrible driver, but she like the sounds of a high revving overhead cam V8.. she can even pick out push rod V8s because "they sound shit" lol

Don't stress about any of that; if you can cook a meal you can figure it out yourself, because cooking is harder. As long as you don't over-think it, the job is pretty damn easy, and it will be clear enough to you whether it's ok or not once you get started.

Get under your car and map all the dimensions out with a Tape Measure, then buy a Chinese intercooler off eBay to suit the space you have to work with. Cut up some steel angle brace from Bunnings, drill holes to bolt whatever you come up with together, then get the intercooler solidly mounted in place. Once it's in, have a look at your routing paths, order a generic S15 intercooler pipe kit and and then put the jigsaw puzzle together. Once you have the best possible configuration for the pieces you have available, buy silicone joiners and additional pieces of swaged tubing to finish it off.

You'll probably be able to run the cold side below the radiatior if the car isn't too low, have it pop up beside the fan shroud and run up to the throttle body.

Yeah was thinking I'd have a go at it myself. Only recently moved so I have barely any tools right now

Don't think I can go under the radiator as the car's really quite low now