Sign in to follow this  
purplesil80

chasing advice; re: insurance

I reversed into a parked car this morning in my ute, no one was around so I left a note to call me. damaged the front quarter panel of this guys subaru but no damage to my ute.

do I call my insurance company or will old mate call his and I pay his excess? not really sure how it works??

He should ring his insurance up, who will in turn ring you up and you'll pay for everything, not just the excess (unless you have your own third party insurance, you'll just pay your excess on that). If he's nice, and doesn't mind an increase in his excess, he might just let you pay his excess.

• Upvote 1

ah ok, i have my own insurance so his insurance company will call mine and i will pay excess for my insurance right?

ah ok, i have my own insurance so his insurance company will call mine and i will pay excess for my insurance right?

That's it :)

If the damage was only really minor it may be worthwhile getting it repaired for him out of your own pocket and avoid going through insurance. This all depends on if the repair cost is cheaper than the excess cost though.