Sign in to follow this  
s13k's

Tyre size expert rejoice! I need your help.

Okay so I just bought new wheels, in stagger form like a true gentleman.

In the following specs.

Front: 17x9 +15

Rear: 18x9.5 +12

The seller advised me to run his old set up since we own the same car.

215/40/17

225/40/18

But his car was pretty slammed, I was thinking of going with this set up to compensate for the stagger (if that makes sense?) hopefully not lower my car as much.

215/45/17

225/40/18

What do you guys recommend? they will be going of a 180sx Type X, slight flare in the rear.

I run 235/45/R17 on my rear wheels and they aren't as wide... that should tell you something. Think my fronts might be 225s due to clearance and not having bothered rolling the S15 wheel arches yet, but you could get 235/45s in there no issue imo.

My feedback is that buying really wide wheels [compared to stock] and then running really narrow rubber is going to decrease grip, increase ride harshness and increase unsprung weight. Not really the goal you should probably be aiming for, but horses for courses I guess.

Did the seller hail from JDMST or Silvia Republic by any chance?

• Upvote 1

245 on a 17x9 and an 17x8 scrubs on the front ever so slightly at lock (inside-side) and will catch on the guard, rolled or not, on the outside-side of the tyre.

I wouldnt go any wide on the front without spacers and aftermarket guards.

215/45/17 - diamater is 603mm

215/45/17 - 625mm

225/40/18 - 637mm

Car will have to be slammed to not have 5" gap between wheel arch and tyres.

235/45/17 - 643mm

I plan on running 10mm slip on spacers at the front if possible.

I found the seller on a JDM wheels for sale page on Facebook but I knew him before.

Widths and offset is going to look Mexican if it's not wide body..

Flare in the rear and camber at the front it'll be fine.

Just ducked into Jax since they had a 4 for 3 tyre deal and spoke to a nice guy who told me about the new RE003's. I'm going to go with them put I need to confirm my sizes asap since there's only 36 pairs of 18's coming into the country!

I ran 215/45/r17 and 235/40r18 on my 33

Same widths as yours. Sidewalls were nearly the same height.

I ran 215/45/r17 and 235/40r18 on my 33

Same widths as yours. Sidewalls were nearly the same height.

I got told these exact specs would make my car a sensible height. Ahhh hate making these tough decisions lol.

Decided I am going with 215/45/17's for the front, and 235/40/18's at the rear.

Those are the specs this guy is running with the same wheels specs as me on the same car, that being said, I am pretty happy with the look :)

img_03471.jpg

Woo went ahead and ordered my tyres just then.

I was going to opt for the old RE002's but I bit the bullet and took the 2 week waiting time for the new RE003's.

I got the following specs:

Fronts: 215/45/17

Rears: 225/40/18

Switched it up last minute after a lengthy chat with TRUNYA. Was going to get 40's at the front but the rolling diameter would've been 33mm smaller and I can't have my car that low.

Thanks for the advice guys, much appriciated. Can't wait to get my new wheels on.

stretch is gay man..

Don't gay men like to be stretched......Just sayin.

on a x 9, run at least a 235 and 255 if you can

on a x 9.5, run at least a 245 and 265 if you can

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^.

personally i have 235 on 8.5" rim

and 255 on 9.5" rim

sits perfectly ;) and puts some rubber under the arse! much better look then cheese cutters that cant hook up for shit.

6 inch 205

6.5 inch 215

7 inch 225

8 inch 235

8.5 245

9 inch 255

9.5 inch 265

10 inch 275

Read the widths and the offsets he is using, the rears with no tire on there would hang close to 2 inches out the rear quaters..

Yes wrong size tires but there also the wrong size wheels so the tires he is using are just to try and I use the word TRY very loosely to squeeze them in.

In a perfect world the front would be 17x8+ 35 with a 235/40/17

and the rears

18x9.5 + 40 with a 265/3518

Buy obviously were not

Edited by TRUNYA

6 inch 205

6.5 inch 215

7 inch 225

8 inch 235

8.5 245

9 inch 255

9.5 inch 265

10 inch 275

In a perfect world the front would be 17x8+ 35 with a 235/45/17

and the rears

18x9.5 + 40 with a 265/30/18

Buy obviously were not

hrmm, if they were purchased with PERFECT sizes ;) there wouldnt be this issue of running tyres for a 6" rim on a 9" rim

agree though. offset of purchased rims dictates the sizes, just dont make sense to me why ppl do this.

Not sure about other states but in qld you are allowed 1.3x wider tyre than originally specified. Rim width must suit tyre (you are allowed a little stretch).

From memory you are allowed +/- 12mm diameter change from original tyre also.

Just thought I'd put that out there as its fine to froth over what looks good but not fine to waste $2k on shoes and not be able to wear them.

The white 180 does look mean but it also looks like a trailer queen. I can't see anyone riding that low before the popo picks u up and at a decent ride height the whole effect is lost.

Edit: maybe not a trailer queen but its on a trailer and its not legal for the street.

Edited by davlos

I think it's good you didn't go crazy with tyre width, a good wheel alignment and fresh tyres would be adequate.

I think it's good you didn't go crazy with tyre width, a good wheel alignment and fresh tyres would be adequate.

Adequate for what exactly? Crashing into a tree?

The only good thing about him "not going crazy with the tyre width" is avoiding the need for excessive guard work. There isn't a single redeeming feature about the size/offset of wheel vs tyres and the ensuing camber requirements to make it clear the guard lips. If I were to lower my mother's stock Corolla a few inches and put the same tyre compound on her stock wheels in the stock sizes, it would likely shit all over this with regard to handling. Less unsprung weight, better sidewall flex and better wheel positioning allowing for more suitable alignment specs.

• Upvote 1

Lol. Most of us have run stretched tyres for the best part of 10 years now. Should we all be dead against a tree now? Drive to the grip limit, if you want something safer go buy a Volvo.

• Downvote 1

Lol. Most of us have run stretched tyres for the best part of 10 years now. Should we all be dead against a tree now? Drive to the grip limit, if you want something safer go buy a Volvo.

That's great and all, but it's also completely irrellevant. The topic is one of standards and honesty, and even if you've never had a single problem with stretched tyres, it's dishonest to suggest that stretch is anything but shithouse compared to correctly-sized tyres (I realise you didn't explicitly make that claim in your post above).

Is there a guarantee that the OP will crash into a tree from running stretch as per my joke? Of course there isn't, but then again I'm not going to lie to him and say that his wheel/tyre combination is good, when it quite clearly isn't. Driving to the grip limit applies no matter what tyres you're running, so I can't see how that relates tbh.

• Upvote 1

Lol they were my old rims, and the other white car with the super laps is athids 180, which was built to get driven pretty hard. My set up seemed to be fine for me as a simple fun street car which sees the occasional 'spirited' drives...

IMG_2907.jpg

IMG_2882.jpg

I get that the recommended tyre sizes are most likely 'ideal' but its not the end of the world to run a bit of stretch and try and look cool lol, although everyones driving and what they think look good is different and so the tyre size you prefer is obviously going to vary...

Stretch doesnt look cool though.

• Upvote 1

I wonder why some tire shops refuse to fit stretched tyres.... surely it wouldn't have anything to do with safety or using a product fit for purpose within the design specifications?? :rolleyes::whistle:

just say'n