Sign in to follow this  
rayj

Gaskets and silicone gasket products (Permatex)

Hi

When using gaskets is it necessary or optional to also use a product like Permatex silicone gasket maker (Ultra Blue, Ultra Black etc.)?

For example, gaskets used in turbo or exhaust applications, as well as, gaskets exposed to coolant and oil?

Thanks for any info

If you're using a quality gasket (7 layer metal one) you should be fine.

I use gasket goo on exhaust flanges though just for peace of mind.

I remember I installed one of those dim sim stainless manifolds which are known for having an uneven flange. I could of machined it but I was cbf so I just used high temp gasket goo and it held up which the combination of a metal gasket.

Depends on the the gasket and where it is. Generally with any gasket, you shouldn't need any goo. The only places you'll use it is in corner joins on say rocker cover gaskets or half moons. Or on sumps where there is no gasket.

Permatex is garbage. Loctite instant gasket is the bomb, it's dear as poison though. No waiting around for it to fully cure before being able to run the car.

I have never used any gasket goo with a gasket before. If you require goo then the gasket isn't doing its job and needs either tightening or replacing. If it will help you sleep at night do as S13K'S does and do it for piece of mind.

I'm only talking about areas with no gaskets too, like sump / water neck spacer / thermostat housing etc.

Doesn't the water neck have an o-ring?

Protius is on the money regarding goo applications.

I usually spray Hylomar on head gaskets and intake manifold gaskets.

With regards to goo brands, either OEM or Threebond. Permatex is shit. So are their thread locking compounds.

Edited by Bloke

Agree that permatex is generally shit. Had to redo so many jobs at work due to a previous mechanic who loved the shit.

I highly recommend Wurth 250, If there's a better silicon I've never used it.

No O ring when you install a Gktech water neck spacer.

+1 recently done this myself and there is no o-ring. I used some blue goo stuff as a sealant.

Thanks guys for all your help :)

Can anybody recommend something for sealing the upper sump and to the block?

Orange OEM Nissan sealant... because I have it, and it's orange. Also have the second the call on Threebond; their products are basically the only thing you use when sealing Subaru half-blocks, and the seal is pretty bulletproof when done correctly.

In saying that, I've used Permatex and other brands for jobs like oil pans and water necks without issue, basically whatever was cheap and came in a caulking gun can. I think a lot of failures relate to the quality of prep/application than the sealant itself, but in saying that, the orange Nissan liquid gasket sealant is pretty wicked and does feel of better quality/adhesion.

I have always used permatex ultra blue and have never had anything leak. You just have to make sure both surfaces are completely clean, i wipe everything down with metho before i apply the sealant.

Never had any worries with permatex products, we have plenty of customers come back complaining because they don't read the packet and realise there is a cure time before the gasket can be torqued and longer for it to be filled with fluid or used. Then again we also have a lot of people use gasket makers as a bandaid fix to stop a leak when the cut gasket is failing. Also you have to choose the correct product for the job, they all have different properties depending what gasket you are making :)