Sign in to follow this  
_Wing_

s15 subframe misalignment

Has anybody ever fixed this issue? Does changing subframe bushes work?

I'm also interested in this. I am planning to get mine on a hoist, loosen the subframe bolts and see whether I can get it centred with a big hammer or lever before re-tightening in position.

My 17x9+22's look like +30 on the passenger side and +12 on the drivers!

rooted subframe bushes...

locking collars kinda corrects it, but be a man.. replace the stock bushes

took me and a mate nearly 6 hours to do it.. not fun :(

I have found the even running solid bushes, the subframe still sits crook most of the time

I was tempted to do the full alloy bush replacement, then thought of my ageing spinal cord and sanity so I went for the hardrace items..

sure transformed the car, no more squeaks and the back end feels tight and best part on the alignment the car is nearly square

S15 generic problem, I know quite a few who have endeavored to correct this misalignment but have not succeeded....The rear subframe is slightly off centre from factory

• Upvote 1

Could you not use those conversion bushes for S15 subframe into S13, and mount them so as to offset the subframe on its mounting pins?

So when the term misalignment is used, whats the reference for correct alignment? Is it the position of the wheels in relation to the guards, if so I believe it's more to do with the design of the rear guards. One side seems to be flatter or less pumped than the other for some reason?

I've been through the whole rear end and replaced every bush as my subframe bushes were really shot, the visual and physical difference are barely noticeable, the driving is a different story.

How "nearly" is nearly square?

I'll find the alignment sheet tonight, but there's a slight "thrust" angle with the alignment, this I'm assuming is how much the car crabs

So when the term misalignment is used, whats the reference for correct alignment? Is it the position of the wheels in relation to the guards, if so I believe it's more to do with the design of the rear guards. One side seems to be flatter or less pumped than the other for some reason?

I've been through the whole rear end and replaced every bush as my subframe bushes were really shot, the visual and physical difference are barely noticeable, the driving is a different story.

No, it's to do with the front wheels not lining up with the back wheels. Nothing to do with the guards at all.

If the absolute dead centre of the front and rear subframes isn't in line, you've got a small problem.

My old S13 had this problem, noticed it at the servo once filling up. I had drift pineapples at the time so, didn't get around to fixing the problem.

• Downvote 1

My old S13 had this problem, noticed it at the servo once filling up. I had drift pineapples at the time so, didn't get around to fixing the problem.

Dude your old S13 was two cars welded together. The front half of it was from a 180SX, and quite poorly done. Lots of rust under the car and around the doors where it had been joined together... You're lucky you had a minor accident to finish that car off because it would have been a death trap in a serious crash.

Dude your old S13 was two cars welded together. The front half of it was from a 180SX, and quite poorly done. Lots of rust under the car and around the doors where it had been joined together... You're lucky you had a minor accident to finish that car off because it would have been a death trap in a serious crash.

This really happens in Aus???

Deadwood Lees?

Probably done a number of years ago, before drift sales and cheap shells were abundant. Reshelling is so much easier than trying to resurrect a totalled car.

I once had an alignment done by a JAX quickfit MANAGER that was so bad, I got pulled over by a helpful stranger down the road who said from the crabwalk the car had been chopped or in serious accident (and of course it hadn't). Worth paying for those proper alignments.

It seems some people get *closer* to a proper alignment with aftermarket bushes and for some, new bushes doesn't correct the alignment at all. Heard a dude used the s13/s15 conversion bushes to offset it. When I get time I'll take the s15 to a proper wheel alignment place and get it measured

Lol, yes. Since forever.

Deadwood Lees?

Yeah, pretty common for them to do it.

I worked with a guy who once worked at the shop that did their compliancing. They had a Soarer come in, not running and nothing electrical in the rear working. He pulled the carpet up to suss out the wiring, and found the front half of the floor white, and the back half dark green, seperated by a dirty weld :lol:

I once had an alignment done by a JAX quickfit MANAGER that was so bad, I got pulled over by a helpful stranger down the road who said from the crabwalk the car had been chopped or in serious accident (and of course it hadn't). Worth paying for those proper alignments.

A mananger doesn't necessarily need to know how to do an alignment. He/she just needs to ensure the place makes money.

• Upvote 1

Lol

No, it's to do with the front wheels not lining up with the back wheels. Nothing to do with the guards at all.

If the absolute dead centre of the front and rear subframes isn't in line, you've got a small problem.

Yes, no doubt. I don't have that issue. Checked by a trustworthy aligner and for my own amusement a string line on a rudimentary jig.

But visually and physically, the rhs wheel sits closer to the inside of a virgin guard, because the guard is flatter on that side.

Really don't care about it anymore because I know everything else is pretty much ok, the car tracks straight and more importantly (for me anyway) throwing it left or right feels pretty much the same now.

What you're describing is a whole other issue.

I think you're missing the point as I am covering both issues. The actual offset of the subframe and the difference in the guards from left to right so people can discover which issue is affecting them, may be both. It's ok for people that have been dealing with this stuff for years but not everyone fell our of their mother with this info already uploaded.

And there are plenty of dodgy operators willing to take advantage.........

Yep definitely an issue (both guards and sub frame) on both the S13 ive owned and the 180 I have now.

From factory, every part and every join, has a small tolerance. If all of those tolerances are set to one side, you will eventually have a big difference.

This what you's are talking about ?

I can fit my hand in behind the left front wheel fine, but the right is very tight.

image.jpg

image.jpg