Sign in to follow this  
rogerlam

Safe Boost for ADM S15 Untuned?

Hey guys, got a ADM Spec R. Just wondering how much I can boost the stock bush bearing T28 untuned?

I have done basic bolt-on mods which are FMIC and 3" turbo back exhaust, also removed the bov and put a metal intake pipe with an apexi pod.

Injectors, fuel pump and ecu is stock looking at getting those done within the next few weeks.

I installed a Greddy Profec EBC today and from the readings, stock boost is at 7psi.

I ran 12psi for a while untuned. Ran OK but was very rich up top and would splatter a touch at about 5500rpm.

I would recommend u getting the AFR checked on a dyno after u increase boost just to ensure its not leaning out. Most s15's run rich when boosted but some can run lean so better to be safe than sorry.

i did 14psi for years.... similar mods..

yeah ill prob max it out at 14psi, looking more at running 12psi

I ran 12psi for a while untuned. Ran OK but was very rich up top and would splatter a touch at about 5500rpm.

I would recommend u getting the AFR checked on a dyno after u increase boost just to ensure its not leaning out. Most s15's run rich when boosted but some can run lean so better to be safe than sorry.

i was looking at just upping to 12psi and running it for a week or 2 to see how it goes, so far its a bit rich but im not sure if thats from me not having a BOV or just the boost

^^its just the ecu realising something's going on and dumping extra fuel in. Normal occurrence.

Edited by adm15

Why risk it, just pay $75 and get it checked on the dyno.

have heard people running 12psi for ages without problems with similar mods, being me and wanting boost quick is pretty much the main reason lol

will be getting injectors, fuel pump and a ecu with a proper tune within the next week or 2 so might as well pay once

Just make sure your fuel pump is up to the task if you boosting it up!

1 bar on ADM ECU

0.8bar on JDM ECU

Happy days

JDM ECU runs heaps more timing at peak torque where as ADM ECU is a little more relaxed

also another thing, AFRs don't mean if it's safe or not..

I've heard knocking from a S15 running 1.2bar on the stock JDM ECU... yeah AFRs were rich and some would say "safe" however it isn't at all.

AFR doesn't mean if it's safe... as a FYI I run 12.2 AFR on 98 fuel with about 1.3bar of boost, some would say that's unsafe.. however it's more than safe.

It's timing that matters.

also another thing, AFRs don't mean if it's safe or not..

I've heard knocking from a S15 running 1.2bar on the stock JDM ECU... yeah AFRs were rich and some would say "safe" however it isn't at all.

AFR doesn't mean if it's safe... as a FYI I run 12.2 AFR on 98 fuel with about 1.3bar of boost, some would say that's unsafe.. however it's more than safe.

Agreed. Also timing is very important as well.

0.8 Bar.

But do it right! Get a nistune done, It's cheap and will be a lot more effective+reliable.