Sign in to follow this  
definition

How much can a Clutch/Box Handle?

Just curious as to how much a clutch or gearbox can handle.

I've got a stock-ish ADM 200sx with an excedy HD clutch about 10,000km old.

Is popping the clutch in second gear at about 4k revs for a little fish tail that bad?

And is launching the car by popping the clutch at say 2.8k rpm that bad?

What sort of damage can this cause and how immediate would the damage be?

I know this sounds like it has "hoon" written all over it, but it's just my general lack of knowledge on clutches and gear boxes which is the cause of this question.

Anything other than 'normal driving' will hurt the box. The car might outlive the box, or you could blow it up next week. There's no science to random chance.

Fun fact - Nismo rate both the 5 and 6 speed boxes to 30 kg.m, and the Nismo 6 speed is rated to 40 kg.m. S15 makes 28.0kg.m with stock boost/exhaust/intercooler, so good luck.

Just because a box has had a lot of use doesnt mean its going to wear out. the internals of a box are able to expand to handle most input and return to normal afterwards.

basically, smash the box until it wont take it any more, then get a new one.

This is what I'm doing lol.

Try it and see what happens. My box is a bit whiny but when i am in the mood ill go for a clutch kick (5000 rpm in second, moving). The clutch is currently slipping when i do this now, so i dont do it until i get a new clutch.

The S-Series boxes are not weak boxes. When you start doubling power (or tripling) its a different story.

If you've got less than 230 rwkw it should be fine. Occasional clutch kicks shouldn't be a problem and take offs at 3-4k rpm will really only wear the clutch as long as you're not just revving and dumping.

In my first car, a Mazda rotary, a long long time ago I went through about 7 gear boxes over 2 years. That's what happens when u take off in 2nd gear with a 8k rpm clutch dumps and generally drive like a di#k head. I refined my driving style and haven't gone through any boxes since. My s15 6spd has been copping 230rwkw and over 400nm for 2 years and all previous abuse from previous owners and is still going strong. My 2c.

thanks for the information everyone.

So basically the box is anyones guess how much it'll take is my conclusion.

However, in regards to the clutch itself, do these things effect it, and how do i wear the clutch quicker/ make it last longer?

Is it similar to an engine where if i give it a flogging I should let it cool down before doing it again? or how does it work

sounds like my dating history

sounds like good dating advice for all

Fixed hehe

It'll break. So if u can't afford a new one don't do it. If u can do as Tom said.

touch wood my original 6 speed is at 190 000km's and has been running at 245kw for the last 4 years, then again i drive like a little bitch. have a NPC single plate organic clutch, so its not too harsh either. Box has been noisy as f**k, hard to get into 1st and reverse for probably 2 years now, change the oil every 10 thousand or so, no metal.... its probably on the way out....

once it breaks just go RB25 box.

touch wood my original 6 speed is at 190 000km's and has been running at 245kw for the last 4 years, then again i drive like a little bitch. have a NPC single plate organic clutch, so its not too harsh either. Box has been noisy as f**k, hard to get into 1st and reverse for probably 2 years now, change the oil every 10 thousand or so, no metal.... its probably on the way out....

Yep my original 6 speed is def getting noisier only having to deal with 230rwk but like most of these boxes it was never really quiet. Had the same issue with 1st and reverse even after replacing the clutch which was well and truly rooted. Had the "experts" stumped and they identified the box as being the problem as the master and slave were apparently operating properly.

Then I noticed now much play had developed in the link from pedal to the master, adjusted that out and things got better.

Anyway because it's easy and cheap I decided to change the slave and the hose to the slave with braided which improved things again.

Then when I was bleeding the system I did what I was told not to do as "it will let air into the system" and first cracked the nipple on the master until fluid came out, locked it up and then continued to bleed the system as per normal and the difference is night and day.

Glides into first and reverse with so little effort now and grabbing gears, particularly 1-2 and 2-3 is dramatically improved. Win!

same boat here.

except running simlar powers for about 12 months.

180000kms stock box, shes had a "good" life lol. its whiney synchros arent too healthy but shes done well for a box many class as weak.

the box is sloppy but so is the slop in the diff. its a compounding issue. im surprised its lasted that long,

but i dont do third gear drifts, clutch dumps, etc. and just drive as smoothly as i can. its lasted well i think.