Sign in to follow this  
LUMPS-13

Indicator Flasher/Relay for LED Front Indicator...Help

Hi team,

So I've recently gone and put a type x front on my onevia. I decided that I wouldn't track down a pair of proper type x indicators but instead run the indicators through the parkers and just not run parkers. The only suitable globe I could apparently use is an LED globe as there wouldn't be anything else small yet bright enough to fit inside the Type X parker. So I went and got some Amber coloured LEDs to put into the parkers being told by the store owner (also called NARVA to make sure) that these were a special LED that would use extra power than a regular LED, so that it would use the same amount of power as a regular globe, therefore the indicators would flash at the same rate and not hyperflash (flash super fast like when and indicator is blown). After buying these $40 indicator LEDs (ouch) and put them in, all the indicators hyperflashed. So we then looked up in the NARVA website that I can buy a LED Flasher (relay) that can be used in the case of LEDs and regular Globes being used in one car. I then went and bought one of these ($40 for a relay) put it in and now the indicators don't turn on.

Does anyone have a solution of what flasher relay I should be using for LED front indicators and standard rear indicator globes (and side)?

Also thinking, could it just be that the relay is making everything not work because the pins on the new relay are in different positions to the factory one?

The relay I'm using is http://www.narva.com.au/products/browse/led-electronic part number 68245BL

To sum up

Converted front to type X onevia from SR front onevia

Using LED front indicators as can't fit incandescent globes in

LED globes don't draw enough current resulting in hyperflashing (even though NARVA said they wouldn't do this 'cause they're special)

Bought a LED Flasher relay linked above, used when having a combination of LED and regular indicators (Still have standard rear)

Indicators don't work at all with new relay

Thankyou!

11156909_10153305987539455_1246609024_n.jpg

the pinouts of flashers arent all the same. You will most likely need to change the plug configuration on the loom to suit the new flasher.

Being an LED it could simply be installed backwards in relation to the relay, since it was working before the relay was changed.

Origin or Dmax make 2 in 1 parkers for the Type X bar that include indicators and parkers in the same housing.

when I installed led rear tail lights I just wired a globe in series to increase the resistance so flashed normally. But then when I added LED front there was too little so flashed fast again.

So I just got a flasher relay from ebay that was to suit LED lights and worked on a timer. MAde sure pin out was same as stock nissan one and been working fine since

Pretty sure it was this one but id double check

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Car-3pin-Electronic-LED-12V-Flasher-Relay-Fix-Unit-For-Turn-Signal-Blinker-Light-/121367803045?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item1c4215b4a5

Edited by (Locky)

So I put the stock relay and led flasher next to each other and the positive and negative are in the opposite positions so I'll probably just run some wires between the plug and relay crossing them over so that the positive and negative meet up and then it'll be sweet...hopefully

I don't reckon swapping the LED polarity suggestion would work as if it were that, the rears would still function.

I just used a flasher unit that isn't load sensitive. Just means the global warning system doesn't work.

Pretty sure it was just a narva unit, I can check the part no tomorrow if you like.

So I put the stock relay and led flasher next to each other and the positive and negative are in the opposite positions so I'll probably just run some wires between the plug and relay crossing them over so that the positive and negative meet up and then it'll be sweet...hopefully

I don't reckon swapping the LED polarity suggestion would work as if it were that, the rears would still function.

I said exactly that - your new relay has the polarity reversed compared to the old one, and therefore your LEDs wont work (because they are Diodes, and they only operate at one polarity)

so you can either swap the wiring over or take the LED unit out, rotate it 180 degress and put it back in. it will acheive the same thing.

Oh okay my bad Varvs - I straight up hate automotive wiring so don't know too much and misinterpreted what you meant in your original comment!

Cheers for your help everyone. All I did was make some little lines up crossing the plug over so that the + -> + and - -> - and turns out the relay works perfectly and everything's sweet, Only thing I don't like is that the new relay is infinitely quiet..... I kind of like the tick tock of indicators haha

Thanks all!

The problem had nothing to do with the LEDs at all, the problem was the flasher pinout was different, like I stated in the second post.. Which the OP has figured out and rectified.

there is no issue with the LEDs. the issue was in the configuration in relation to the relay, which reversed when he switched to the new relay.

if you dont understand that switching the polarity on an LED causes them to not function (which can be done by either swapping the ends of connecting to the LED, or those connecting to the relay), Id suggest you start with http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light-emitting_diode and then this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diode

Please dont try and school me varvs.. The issued had NOTHING to do with the LEDs or their mounting polarity wise. The issue, as i said originally, was the pin configuration on the plug that connects to the flasher relay. The flasher itself has 3 pins. On the s13 they are ground, power in and flashing output. Not all cars share the same configuration/pin location and thus not all relays will plug in and work as the OP found.

The lights themselves earth to the body and get power (via stalk/hazard switch) from the flasher output. And for this reason you can only change the polarity for the globe at the globe holder.

Keep in mind the OP also said none of his indicators worked after only changing the relay. How could they go from flashing fast to not flashing at all with only a relay change and the problem be the LED mounting polarity?

I suggest you really learn a thing or two before trying to 'school' me.

Edited by Protius

you can switch the LED or switch the relay, either way, you are reversing the polarity.

you can switch the LED or switch the relay, either way, you are reversing the polarity.

f**k. No, NO. It does not work like that. Do I seriously need to draw you a diagram so you understand how the circuit actually works?

The output of the flasher relay is ALWAYS the output and it is ALWAYS positive (well you can get some weird cars that 'ground' is actually positive, but we won't go there) regardless of bulbs or anything. And obviously the input is always the input of power, which comes from the hazard switch (which we won't go into for this). A flasher module/can/relay has its own circuitry for the timing/load based operation and this is why the power input is always the power input and output is always output. A LOT of flasher modules do not even HAVE an earth wire to them so there is no polarity to even operate.

I don't really know how I can explain anymore clear. If you can't really grasp what I'm saying, stop giving out incorrect advice.

Edited by Protius

So just to clear this up what Protius is saying is correct. Which is kind of obvious (not having a dig at anyone) as the incadescent rear indicators or interior arrow ones didn't work. As the relay being in the wrong configuration acted as an open circuit and no current could flow past it and go to ANY globes. If the polarity of the LED fronts were changed (rotate globe 180deg) this wouldn't change as there would still be no current going to them.

Regardless... I really miss the ticking sound :(

You could wire in a normal relay on the output of a flasher to simply open and close causing the ticking sound you're after ;)