Sign in to follow this  
Punisha

Audi ignition coils

Hey guys just seeing if anyone as fitted the Audi 905 115 coilpacks to a sr20?

If so is there a certain part number that fits best and do you have a pinout for them?

Yep.

The VW/Audi ones crap out all the time.

For an engine that's had like 25 years of development in the aftermarket world, there isn't much point trying to reinvent the wheel.

if you're not making silly power off the shelf Splitfires are a no brainer... I don't see the need to be creative with ignition systems unless you're having massive blow outs.

I already have spitfires. Just heard the Audi ones can handle 300hp per pack. I'm planning on running up to 30psi from a gtx3071 on my sr running e85.

Edited by Punisha

1200hp-capable ignition system.

Fascinating.

• Upvote 1

I don't think you should have problems with splitfires at only 30 psi.

Seen plenty of splitfires not like much over 21psi. Seen stock sr go 30psi no dramas however. Oem for life.

Seen plenty of splitfires not like much over 21psi. Seen stock sr go 30psi no dramas however. Oem for life.

Bump the dwell up on the splitfire, they take it very well and perform quite well.

Really wow , I've been running 30psi on my OEM S13 coils for ages which is why I thought it would be no sweat for splitfires.

Glad I haven't wasted my money spilfires then.

Edited by gomanji

Thanks for the input guys. Might just stick with the spitfires until they shit themselves or they can't handle it and then I'll put ls2 packs in

Splitfires are bad copies of the originals. I think you can get red or yellow ones from the states; they're remanufactured items and little better.

They're all pretty dodgy... 'Smart coils' are a far, far better design. The spark energy is greater (different coil), the ignition circuit is simpler (igniter is part of the COP) and most importantly, they're built to last (better, newer materials plus a revised design). Gotta remember that the first generation of COPs (the ones with external ignitor) were not designed with a thermal analysis - this is why you get frequently failing plugs on late 80s, early 90s cars with COPs. They crack and conduct... on soarercentral i've got a thread about 1nz coils and I have a photo of an old taped up, sealed "repaired" coilpack and when you fire it in the dark it lights up like a christmas tree.

edit: just in case someone is wondering, "Why would shitty yaris's and echos have a high power coilpack? they're not even a performance car!". The answer is emissions. Complete combustion is extremely important for low emissions and the easiest way to achieve this is with a very strong spark.

Edited by mUnky-matt

oh man and f**k golebys... I made a thread on SC with a design for 1nz cop into 1jz conversion with a template and info and like a month later i see the same thing up on sale on golebys ~_~

cheap setup tho i paid like 700$ for ignition projects/okada projects new

Dyno sheet and pic after changing from Splitfires to Yaris/Prius coils. Second hand coils $60 + $40 for plugs...

60hp extra and opened the plug gaps up to 0.8mm from 0.5mm.

Almost everything you need to know about doing the conversion. http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/showthread.php/7098-Toyota-Coilpack-info-thread

20150427_1441272.jpg

20150423_1508332.jpg

Edited by sc s15

What sort of boost pressure ?

I'm still trying to work out what coil set up to use on the new motor I'm building it will be running up to run 40-45 psi

Have been looking into a m&w CDI and CBR coils but the Toyota coils sound interesting.

Edited by gomanji

20psi on e85. Same tune with both coil setups.

Probably be able to run the same with stock S13 coils...

Probably be able to run the same with stock S13 coils...

That's true, as long as the stock coils are still in good condition. No coils made 20+ years ago will still be in good condition... As I said earlier, they weren't designed correctly to last more than a few years at peak performance.

My car is getting close to the 20 year mark (stock coils) and running 23psi of boost with BKR6E plugs with factory gap.

man, boost pressure means jack shit. 20psi through a t28 is nothing compared to 20psi through a turbo like a 3076r etc. Just the same as 300kw at 15psi is the same combustion pressure as 300kw at 30psi (all other things except for boost pressure being equal). What power is '23psi' at with stock gap?

stock coils are good for more than that, but when they die it'd be cheaper to go with newer coils rather than replacements from Nissan... for reasons states above you'd want to stay the f**k away from aftermarket replacement coils.

I also thought they just got old and needed replacement.

I had problems with 200kw on E85 with stock coils. Bought brand new OEM Nissan ones and it was only slightly better, still had to run 0.6mm gaps.

Changed to a different setup and that fixed it. Whether coils was actually the problem, I don't know, but I tested everything else that I could.

Sometimes stock coils seem to work, (i.e. Under Suzuki, etc) and sometimes they don't work. I don't know why this is and that is annoying.

Because even though coilpacks are an electrical device, their construction and design means that they're susceptible to partial degradation over time. You can think of it a little bit like a radiator that gets clogged over time, except it's not the current doing the clogging, it's heat. Theoretically they should have a new stock shelf life measured in decades.

So yeah basically they just get old and eventually need replacement.

Just so people know, this is how spliftire and other coilpack sellers make their "increased power" claims. They dyno their car with messed up missfiring packs and then put in their re-manufactured items in and quote the power difference as their power increase. This was confirmed by splitfire themselves on the SC forum. It goes without saying that the stock ones in good condition would have performed as well as or better than the aftermarket ones.

i have NGK coils fitted on my CA18.

this coils are used on some FSI engines

very cheap upgrade compared to floop splitfires.

DSC_0262_zps9cmnovru.jpg

DSC_0264_zps5upt0aor.jpg

Edited by artomitive