Sign in to follow this  
Flame On

CA18DE Idle Problem

G'day internet!

So I have a 1990 Silvia S13 and it has a CA18DE in it. I bought it just a few days ago and I have been trying to fix its idle issue that it has. So just of the bat I know it has something to do with ignition as i have been informed that these CA's coilpacks get stuffed quit abit. I have tested the fuel supply and despite having dank and dirty fuel in it, (yep, need a new filter), it has fuel getting into the cylinders so she is tip top (fuel supply wise).

But I am stumped as to what is causing it to idle bad because for some reason when I connect it up with jumper leads coming from a much better bosch battery, it idles fine...and of course as soon as I do the pull out method on the jumper leads she cuts out. I suspect it is the alternator and I am yet to test that with a multimeter (will keep updated). Its like the coilpacks arent getting enough voltage. Im worried that some noisy AC power is chopping my battery up.

Now that is my take on it, but I am hoping a proper Nissan knower can show me the yellow brick road and help me fix up the 13! Please comment any information/help you have. Thanks.

-FlameOn

Hello Mate. Welcome to the forums.

I would definitely check the voltage coming from the battery on idle. If the alternator is stuffed, it sounds like your battery has low voltage which can cause the issue you are describing. I had an old 4AGZE with a stuffed alternator and ended up experiencing the same issue as the battery slowly lost voltage. The sparks got weaker and weaker. The car just came to a stop.

Let us know the voltage from the battery on idle. If it is under 14v its not charging correctly.

• Upvote 1

Thanks buddy. Makes me feel a lot better now that I know other people have had the problem. I should be popping around to the garage troughout the week, ill let you know the charge of the alternator.

So after a week I finally got around to working on my S13 and I have fixed the problem! As it turns out the oxygen sensor was not in...funny how the littlest thing throws everything out of wack haha. I discovered this by noticeing all of the disconnected things in the engine bay (at the hand of a previous owner), so I reconnected a heap of things like the coil looms earth and the oxygen sensor. She didn't run good straight away but about a minute or less later it wasn't missing a beat. I suspect it has 4 year old fuel in it so that will change when I service it.

As far as the alternator goes it's running fine...normal charges and healthy condition, I guess I'll cross that of the list of things I need! :-)

Edited by Flame On