Sign in to follow this  
mUnky-matt

How can you be scammed as a cash buyer of a car?

So I'm curious about the various ways that, as a cash buyer, you can be scammed by a seller of a vehicle.

If they hand over the vehicle, the keys, rego papers and the papers match the vehicle plus the name matches their drivers license; is this solid enough?

Recently ran into a vehicle that was fairly close to the "too good to be true" zone; inspected it and it appears to be sound enough. Buyer was full of stories (not all of them entirely made sense) but otherwise didn't appear to be an obvious crook. This indicates, to me, that the vehicle is either stolen, ghosted or under title to another person.

Thoughts?

Tha car may have been stolen then rebirthed.

Or the seller is just a bullshit artist and likes talking crap

Edited by S15 sxytime

I forgot to take a photo of the VIN plate but it appeared to be in order.

If he can't clearly awnser your questions he's either a dumbarse or something's dodgy. Either way that's not a person is by a modded car off. Also can have money owning on the vehicle. Repaired wo without a status been recorded

I always would do a revs check on the car using the vin numbers and obviously look for wigns if it had been crashed and repaired. Panel gaps, mismatching paint etc etc

Make sure compliance plate matches, revs check ~$30 online and get a receipt. Mods can make it unroadworthy too so factor in that cost.

Could be under finance. Buyer doesn't repay financier and they have first rights to the property.