Sign in to follow this  
Damien Munns

S13 - non factory fitted airbag proof

Hi,

I recently bought an S13 and within 2 hours of owning it I was pulled over and given a yellow sticker!

The inpstector at the pits believes this model came with airbags and wants proof that this particular car/model never came from the factory with airbags.

Ideally a letter from Nissan on their letter head staing this car VIN etc. was never sold with airbags fitted. I have sent emails to a couple of Nissan dealers here in WA to no avail (no suprises there).

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

1992 Nissan Silvia

Australian VIN on compliance plate: 6T91MPTECN1ABG087

Japanese VIN: PS13-055516

Cheers

Wankers... They we're not fitted up untill the mid 94 180. As far as I'm aware the s13 never was even close to be fitted with a air bag.

Show them the fuse box and there's no relay for a bag nor is there a clock spring to suit the bag..

I would be more concerned with the fact that your jap vin and oz vin don't match, usually they put the imp shit then a couple of numbers then run the end numbers the same as the jap vin number.

You might find proof in a workshop manual.

I'm not entirely familiar with S13's - from what I've read the PS13's from 1992 came with a SR20 and the workshop manuals I've found from this forum is for the CA18.

The S13 manual found here http://members.iinet.net.au/~hirsts/s13.pdf shows no sign of airbag (page 619).

If you can find a PS13 service manual you might have some luck proving to them it didn't come with an airbag.

Might like to do some investigation here: http://www.nissansilvia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=516630

Good luck

That's bulls**t about Nissan being unable to prove your car came factory with no air bags. I went into Nissan once and gave them my VIN and they brought up a page on their computer with everything my car came with factory. Should be as simple as printing out the page that shows your car without air bags, should have your VIN stated on the page as well. I can't see how hard it is for someone to write up a simple letter with their letter head stating your car has no air bags from factory.

Might be worth going into a dealership and having a chat with someone.

Thanks for the helpful replies, appreciate it.

Yes very frustrating, makes my blood boil!

As you say B00sted180 I think I may go and pay them a visit in person, hopefully more effective than an email :P

Nissan are f**k wits.. Go in there ask for a exhaust manifold gasket for your s13, they'll ask for the vin then say, sorry we Havnt got one it'll have to come from japan and it'll take 3 weeks. So then you'll say have you got one for a s14 and again he will ask for the vin and you'll reply no I don't have it, he will look at you like a dick head but after he will find the part number, you'll say can I have the gasket? Then they'll proceed to tell you it's different. FUKWITS!

The proof the car never had a bag is..

1.There's no fuse or relay port in the box for a bag

2. There's no light on the cluster to indicate there's meant to be a bag.

3. There's not clock spring to control the bag.

4. There's no wiring harness in the column that would go to a clock spring.

And these are the people that do blue slips..

My type x got defected about 6 years ago, put the car back to 100% stock went to go get it cleared and they asked me why there was pink vack lines and then got into the biggest verbal about the cat.. They where saying that the cat wasn't factory and I was screaming trying to explain that the car is a fkn import and that's the dated compliance cat, gunddle just didn't get it. FYI the factory exhaust from turbo back with compliance cat failed the noise test...

What a joke, here is a pic from nissan fast when i put in your vin. White, Q's, Auto, no hicas. If someone can give me a type x vin that came with airbags then I can show a screenshot of that so you can compare.

V78GAw8.jpg