Sign in to follow this  
s13k's

Brembo evo brake upgrade, who has done it and what do you rate it

I ran S15 brakes on the track with Pmu HC 800s with nitto invo tyres, and didnt experience any brake fade. Wakefield isnt super fast though.

I still went up to GTST brakes because a decent set came up at a good price and I always wanted to do the 'big' brake upgrade for S13. I realise Im not gaining much except some sub-conscious 'I can slam on the brakes a bit later now' that I probably could have had on the S15 brakes, but I had a few issues with the brakes I had, so it seemed easier for a daily driver to buy some new brakes, rebuild them, get them good and then swap them in rather than uninstall and risk complications that would render me car-less until it was fixed.

You can tell me its pointless and that I could have spent the money on more track time, but at the end of the day its an improvement, even if a minor one in real-world performance (although I can already feel the benefit of stronger rear brakes and having proper functioning fronts, so theres that)

An oem Nissan rotor is just as good if not better than the dba or Mu solids. I've had factory Nissan and pmu. There was no difference in wear but the Mu cracked up more through the centre section. There all the same when your talking about solid rotors. No experience with rda though. An advising to remove abs is silly since it's a safety feature on a vehicle. Yes they can play up at the track but for a road going vehicle. Keep it. If u have an accident or injur yourself or someone else you will be liable for costs of injury ect n no public liability insurance will be paid out of u know what that means

Do not ditch your ABS.

That's terrible advice for a car that's driven on the road.

Dedicated track car, different story.

This

Do not ditch your ABS.

That's terrible advice for a car that's driven on the road.

Dedicated track car, different story.

This

I've been around people who know how to drive so that may have come out half-cocked! :rolleyes:

Maybe a bit extreme and not advised for a typical street setup yes, but it will shorten brake distance and prolong rotor use. :lol:

Having said that, if someone wasn't used to a non-ABS setup, panicked and killed themselves or someone else then I would hate to know it was based on that advice.

In hindsight if you know how to brake, even on a street setup then ABS (mainly older ones) can be hinderance but the problem is most don't. ABS systems on Ferraris Porsches, etc, actually almost locks up before ABS kicks in, this would be an ideal. Otherwise yes to look good for insurance companies and if you don't track the car much or at all just keep ABS. The options is there but it may cost you if you don't brake properly.

Yep def do not delete ABS on a road car, particularly if it was born with it.

What I particularly like in this thread is that apparently to "justify" a Brembo set up you need to track the car?

What about if you don't track the car, but after you've upgraded you may be more inclined to do so knowing you've got the hardware?

Because silvias already have fairly good braking systems and you would never experience anything on the street that would make you feel more confident in the brembos over factory.

There is no benifit or feel to just putting a bigger caliper on. Nissan brakes are great from factory. Pad selection is important. Problem with telling someone to delete abs that thinks they can drive is the biggest problem. Everyone on here thinks there a good driver ahah

Nissan oem brakes (I'll use S15 as an example) that are well maintained with quality components are adequate for oem size tyres, oem suspension and oem power output.

How many cars on here are still like that?

If you cant hit the limit on S15 brakes with big tyres and good pads what makes you think you're gonna find it on even bigger brakes?

Not sure we're having the same conversation. Just different opinions on what makes good brakes....good I guess. No problem.

Edited by sleepr

Some people are giving advice from experience. Some people just go with bro science. I ran s15 rears with s15 front with a slightly larger rotor with ducting and pfc pads 350$ for fronts and the thing was out of control at the track. 245 z221 med on the fronts. Pads are everything, choose wisely. I can tell you now that no one has thrown a $350 set of pads at some s15 fronts. 1. Because they think they need massive rotors to stop good and 2. They don't understand the essence of a quality pad and how it works.

Nissan oem brakes (I'll use S15 as an example) that are well maintained with quality components are adequate for oem size tyres, oem suspension and oem power output.

How many cars on here are still like that?

This.

Even a mildly-modded Silvia has a better power-to-weight ratio than many of today's highperformance cars... maybe C63, M3/M4, A45, RS3, RS4, RS5, EVO, WRX, STI, GTR's should all upgrade to Silvia brakes.

I have evo9 brembos on the front and r33 rears on my s13 with STANDARD pads.

last track day I did a session in my mates car with r33 non brembo brakes all round with good pads (cant remember exactly what brand)

His car felt considerably better than mine.

Basically after driving his car I have realised on the street, you will never need more braking power than standard skyline brakes with quality pads !!!

I have evo9 brembos on the front and r33 rears on my s13 with STANDARD pads.

last track day I did a session in my mates car with r33 non brembo brakes all round with good pads (cant remember exactly what brand)

His car felt considerably better than mine.

Basically after driving his car I have realised on the street, you will never need more braking power than standard skyline brakes with quality pads !!!

Hail f**king Mary! We have a winner.

No one is denying pad choice is very important, we get it, it was never in question. Jesus new that. But to ignore the rest of the hardware is a bit fanciful, particularly if you can afford it.

Even with quality pads, fluid, lines and rotors I quickly found deficiencies of the oem system on the road and club track meets were just pointless.

I went R33 because I came across a set beautifully rebuilt of calipers with all the periperal hardware I needed for the conversion and it was all clean and ready to install, but I was looking for Brembo's at the time. I will never go back to oem, road or track as, I will never run shitty tyres. I will always go overkill everytime as I like knowing I've got something in reserve.

Let me ask this, if Nissan were to release an S16 tomorrow and give it wheels, tyres, suspension and power to be competitive as a proper sports car and in the market place, what spec brakes would they put on it? Would a 9mm thick, 258 mm solid rear rotor suffice?

What were you doing on the road that revealed limitations of the factory fitted braking system?

Not a chance would they do that. One causes it's not a trend and two the market calls for bigger brakes. I can tell you now that they will throw normal average pads in it that feel like shit with out braided lines. The market doesn't call for it and it doesn't help sell a car.

It's a street car, something that will never see the track.

It also has stretched China dim sim tyres.

I would personally spend the money on decent pads and correct tyres than spend it on an alpha kit plus EVO calipers, then spend the rest on hookers and cocaine

What were you doing on the road that revealed limitations of the factory fitted braking system?

If you know where to look and are prepared to drive more than 30 mins we have some beautiful deserted roads with excellent visibility that will soon revel a cars weaknesses, all while being legal. Not hard to do on S15 with oem brakes and improved everything else.

I'm running Evo fronts with Pmu pads and love it.

However, I recently drove my mates S15 with stock front brakes and Pmu pads and it felt amazing around Wakefield. All you need is a set of good pads and that will be more than enough if you're not tracking it.

Would be pretty impressed if you ran out of brakes on the street and you're using decent pads.

What pads are you running sleeper. Pads are the weakes link and lines by a long shot

Intima sr were the last pads in orig calipers, they were in my humble opinion pretty good. This is also what I use in the r33 calipers albeit with some factory looking ventilation slots added to the rotor shields. Both setups with pmu fluid and adr approved braided lines. I prefer the r33 set up.

I would personally spend the money on decent pads and correct tyres than spend it on an alpha kit plus EVO calipers, then spend the rest on hookers and cocaine

???

No disrespect but those pads will let you down well before the standard setup will. They may last a little longer with the slightly larger rotor but it'd be marginal.

No disrespect but those pads will let you down well before the standard setup will. They may last a little longer with the slightly larger rotor but it'd be marginal.

Listen to this bloke. just buy the pads he recommends, buy a set of hankook rs3 (ps they are pretty cheap for what htey are) and be done.

Hard to think the price difference between the evo brembo and gtr brembo is actually worth it.

evo requires adapters for 370 and capilers for 850 going from above users link, total 1220

set of r33 brembo calipers from japan can be had for around 500 delivered

theres your rebuild and brake rotors in the difference...

Where are they 500 delivered from japan?

Lol

Im running 6 pot alcons 365mm rotors with stretched 225/40s true sik kent

Fair enough, thanks for the feedback. So whats your suggestion for a pad that works cold and can deal with a bit of punishment? PMU?

No pmu. Pfc 01, a member on here just ordered some so wait for his feed back if u like. I've tried approx 7 different pads in the front . The pad above does everything better in every aspect. Best cold bite/ best modulation/ most consistent under extreme heat. Great life, not as harsh on rotors as a ferrodo 2500 and dust is like most pads but nothing crazy. Thing is there $350. It'll be the best $350 Ya ever spend on Ya car

If you get pads and a set of good tyres which would be all up $1350 it'll rock your socks lol. Rs3 rsr or if you want something that last longer than those 2. Nankang ns2r great tyre that last, looks the business and is better in the wet than the above tyres and is better when they aren't super hot which they won't get on the street. Also rs3 is quite crappy in the wet.