Sign in to follow this  
Matts142l

Diff advice in s14

Hey guys

Long story short my diff is cactus gears are ground down etc and I'm needing to do something with my diff to repair it.

My problem is I'm unsure what has been done to mine.

It's an r200 non abs.

6 bolt output shafts but not the standard s14/s15 6 bolt shafts.

Can anyone shed some light on what's been done or could have been done?

Sorry for the dumb post in advance haha

Hey mate maybe take the opportunity to put a non abs 4.11 skyline diff in it with matching half shafts if your diff is cactus.

Car will pick up quicker but will have lower gear speeds compared to the standard 3.69 if that's what your running I'm not 100% on that but I know manual s14s abs have that ratio.

Not a stupid post; tinkering with Nissan diffs can be problematic at times. You might have the R200 from another Nissan, but we'll need pictures of the diff, shafts, and ideally a comparison of the shafts/diff to factory gear (I assume you have a replacement diff).

Personally, I would just get a replacement S14 non-abs diff and shafts, or ideally a 5-bolt S13/Skyline diff+shafts and then swap the rear housing. You can likely swap the bearing housings between 6-bolt shafts (unless they have differences between models), but you can't swap 5-bolt axle parts onto 6-bolt axle parts, as the 5-bolt shafts are thicker including the splines, and they use 5 spider bearings instead of 3.

Replacing both the diff and shafts with a matching set is definitely the least rage-inducing option.

Not a stupid post; tinkering with Nissan diffs can be problematic at times. You might have the R200 from another Nissan, but we'll need pictures of the diff, shafts, and ideally a comparison of the shafts/diff to factory gear (I assume you have a replacement diff).

Personally, I would just get a replacement S14 non-abs diff and shafts, or ideally a 5-bolt S13/Skyline diff+shafts and then swap the rear housing. You can likely swap the bearing housings between 6-bolt shafts (unless they have differences between models), but you can't swap 5-bolt axle parts onto 6-bolt axle parts, as the 5-bolt shafts are thicker including the splines, and they use 5 spider bearings instead of 3.

Replacing both the diff and shafts with a matching set is definitely the least rage-inducing option.

If you're swapping the housing on the shafts, the spider gear assembly is supposed to go with it as a matching set. The shafts are balanced so the whole assembly needs to be marked before teardown do it can be reassembled in the same configuration.

There are 3 (oem) different spider gear assemblies used in the 6 bolt (3×2) cv joints, they're stamped 00, 01, or 02. Taarks sells these for $100 each, Nissan was close to three times that. Most s14 will be 00 or 01, but I've seen some that had no stamp which i assume was aftermarket.

I've mixed up spider gear assemblies with non-matching housings with apparent success, but the stamped numbers matched the housing in that case.

I would buy an r200 vlsd from a s14 in 3.69 or 3.92, above that would get annoying for a daily when it comes to cruising highway speeds.

Edited by r0berto

I'll post some a photo up later.

From what I've researched so far it looks like my half shafts are from either r33 gtst? Because they have the different 6 stud configuration to s15/14.

Can you post pics from your phone?

is it 3 x 2 bolt config, or is it 6 evenly spaced bolts?

it could be that you have a GTR diff and shafts, in which case you may not have a 'munted' diff, just a noisy mechanical diff (GTR comes with Mech diff, right?).

r32 gtr diff.JPG

4.11, mech lsd centre, gtr / r230 diff / shafts?

Edited by r0berto

Is that your opinion from my photos?

So would I be best off keeping the setup I've got because it's better than a standard Silvia rear end?

When I get the diff back I'll post some better photos.

I don't know, but it is definitely a 4.11 and not a conventional silvia r200.

Z32, gtr or something.

Ps. Your drive shafts are leaking. If you're reusing those shafts pop the end plates off, remove the housing and clean the old oily grease out. Replace with new cv grease and replace boots if necessary.

Clean the end plate and add a touch of silicon sealer around the rim (not really necessary but means you're less likely to have leaks and won't need to pull them out again).

Edited by r0berto

Ok thanks for the advice. Do I pop the white covers out?

I've just noticed that one of the shafts it's it 33 gtr written on it. Would it be safe to assume the diff would be the same?

Pretty sure you'll have gtr hubs to match the shafts, so it would be worthwhile keeping, and it is an upgrade over silvia diffs.

so I'd just get the gears, bearings and backlash checked/fixed, get a diff guy to give you more info and advise what oil to use.