Sign in to follow this  
Nizmo69

Need help with what I need to fix left wheel alignment

Hey guys bought a car off a mate

Bit of background info : bought this car off a friend (1993 S13 Silvia ) knowing he had hit a kerb at around 40-50km/h or something he says and have decided to buy it off him and fix it my self, the car steers to the left and at speeds exceeding 40km/hr the wheel starts wobbling and jumping around. I have taken photos of both the good and the bad side of the wheels for comparison and was thinking if its either a tie rod that needs to be changed with a new LCA? or something not too sure so I've came here to discuss with you guys what parts I need to get it back straight again here are the photos :

Good side :

post-158135-0-14569200-1442854116_thumb.jpg

Bad side:

post-158135-0-98639000-1442854150_thumb.jpg

As you can see some of the parts are moved and bent but not sure what they are any help would be great thanks!

Well the Lower Control Arm is bent and the Castor rod is completly broken, so replacing them is a minimum!

Don't drive it FFS, at ALL its insanely unsafe.

I'd park it, take the wheel off and see what else is busted and replace the lot, even then you might have bent mounts, frame etc.

Why dont you park it, get a jack and jackstands, take the wheel off and post a few more photos so we can have a look and provide some opinions.

how do you even need to post the question when its so obvious that there is two bent/broken arms in that picture?

As already said, don't drive that thing lol. Replace all the parts and take the car for a electronic wheel alignment, so you can get an indication of whether the frame is bent too. If the car aligns, chances are it's ok.

Replace LCA, balljoint, tie rod, tie-rod end, caster rod, new rubber swaybar bushes. If it aligns ok, then it might also be worth replacing the steering rack bushes, as well as checking the engine mounts and strut for damage/separation, plus the tyre well for cracks.

how do you even need to post the question when its so obvious that there is two bent/broken arms in that picture?

Im guessing because he doesnt know what they are called. We've all been there once. He just bought the car, Im guessing hes not mechanically minded but hes gonna have a go at it, that should be encouraged.

Edited by CraZeeE

wheel bearing is probably damaged too.

He asked for the names of parts. Give the guy a break. Take the photo to the wreckers and point at the parts you need 👍

One blunt post out of six is hardly being mean, and he got his info. Telling him not to drive it isn't really being harsh either, having seen the things some people do. I remember some Africans across the road trying to 'fix' a Commodore they bought (it was almost out of oil so it sounded rough) by first revving the crap out of it, then holding it near the limiter for 3 minutes straight... at 11:30pm at night on the side of the road. Parramatta lol. I walked over and pointed out that they might want to put oil in it first, but they were having way too much fun to do that.

No you're right pmod, it's not being mean it's just painfully unnecessary and it creeps into a lot of threads for no real gain. At least the OP has started their thread properly, so they don't have the knowledge that some take for granted. Everyone learns differently.