Sign in to follow this  
OmgPete

S13 earls braided turbo line issues

So I put a set of earls braided turbo lines in my S13 over the weekend and im just wondering if anyones got some ideas on how to keep them away from exhaust heat cause im not liking how hot theyre getting after a drive and I dont know how much heat they can take before the car goes up in flames.

Also, one of the 90 degree fittings is touching my wastegate actuator rod (t28) and not allowing it to move. Anyone else had this issue? Thanks.

I wouldnt be too worried about your car going up in flames. the only close one is the water line coming from the back of the block...and it carries water/coolant.

I noticed wear on my 9 degree bend near the actuator too. I replaced my T28 with a GTX2863 and the actuator is no longer near the fitting.

I never had issues with the T28 actuator not be able to move.

Had the same issue with my wastegate actuator rod touching the 90 degree earls fitting. You just undo the clip on the end of the rod on the exhaust side of the turbo and rotate the arm 180 degrees and put the clip back on.

Thanks heaps for the replies guys.

Tim, youre an absoloute life saver. Such a quick easy fix, yet I probably never wouldve thought of it haha.

Thanks heaps for the replies guys.

Tim, youre an absoloute life saver. Such a quick easy fix, yet I probably never wouldve thought of it haha.

All good mate, I researched hard before upgrading to t28.

another alternative, is get that heat proof wrap good for 900 degrees or something and wrap all your lines in it. there are 2 types, ones you can wrap over hte pipe and glue together or u slide it over.

Mines been sitting pretty close to the down pipe and I've had no issues. I guess the water flows so fast past it that it doesn't have any time to heat up.

I remember it was must worse before but it all matters how you route it.

the hose is rated for something stupid, its not gonna melt.

I mean it has coolant flowing through it pretty rapidly so its going to be cooling itself anyway.

One of my water lines runs close to the rear housing. Haven't had any issues and the car is mostly taken to the drag strip or race track.

image.png

another alternative, is get that heat proof wrap good for 900 degrees or something and wrap all your lines in it. there are 2 types, ones you can wrap over hte pipe and glue together or u slide it over.

What I've done with mine and havent had an issue the 2 years its been on ;)

Thanks guys.

Anyone had dramas with the coolant line with the hose clamp in it? Mine snapped as I was tightening it with hardly any pressure, didnt feel tight at all so ive been topping up coolant every time I get in until I get a new one made up..

May aswell heat wrap them all too while im taking the manifold off again just for peace of mind

Thanks guys.

Anyone had dramas with the coolant line with the hose clamp in it? Mine snapped as I was tightening it with hardly any pressure, didnt feel tight at all so ive been topping up coolant every time I get in until I get a new one made up..

Yeah there was no way in hell we could get it on that metal pipe at the back of the motor. We ended up pulling that alloy fitting with hose clamp off and just used a hose clamp over the braided hose.

you unbolt the trans from the mount and jack up the rear of the gearbox.

gives you enough space to get in there and clamp it down.

i would suggest to anyone doing it to buy a S14/15 coolant neck and the S14/15 line kit to suit though. although you still have to block off that line.