Sign in to follow this  
S15 sxytime

V8 supercars, Dave Reynolds pussy wagon comments

Is Dave Reynolds calling the all girl v8 team car the "pussy wagon" acceptable? Would like to know everyone's opinion, especially the females. Personally I think it is political correctness gone too far, he said it as fun but maybe shouldn't have said it.

I cant think of a single good reason to have said it at all.

Standards and etiquette change... it would've been acceptable 20 years ago, unfashionable 10 years ago, unacceptable today. Maybe in 50 years the context will have changed and it might become OK again.

The situation is absolutely insane; the guy is known for making jokes and said it without any malice. If the scumbags of the V8 Supercars Board simply made him give a public apology and grovel to all the mangina/feminist viewers that they hoped to rake in by creating a substandard team of female-only drivers, that would be fine. I'd still think it was too much, but hey, it's Australia... you can't even fart in public without being hauled over the coals by some wanker trying to further his career by pandering to the greenie wannabes.

However as a member of the public, I find the act of issuing the guy a $25,000 fine to be insulting at best. If a comedian had said it on the radio, nobody would give a toss, and rightfully so. We all know why they made that team, we all know they have zero chance of even placing in the middle of the pack, and no amount of heavy-handed management will change that.

I cant think of a single good reason to have said it at all.

It's a joke that references the musical Grease, as well as the movie Kill Bill. Good enough reason to make the joke imo.

I do however agree that it was a mistake on his part, as the people and media of this country crap on about "Aussie larrikins" all day, yet are renown for being unable to take a joke.

Very well said. I totally agree with you, should all TV channels ban the movie greese because of the line?

Agree with you guys. Completely ridiculous. The whole thing these days is that nobody is allowed to be offended at all. Offending anyone is basically punishable by death these days.

Unless that person is white, male, christian, young, a car enthusiast, or anybody with a sense of humour basically. If they fall into any combination of those "non-minority" groups, then it's perfectly acceptable to publicly ridicule them with personal attacks and do whatever you want to them.

But really this whole thing is offensive to me, and yet that doesn't matter to anyone. I'm not even allowed to say that in public. The mere idea of me being offended by this overreaction and over-PC society is punishable by death also lol.

It's unaustralian to me. The typical Aussie is meant to be a larakin and meant to poke fun at people and say stuff like this and drink beer and enjoy a BBQ.

The worst part is that it's not acceptable to be Australian in Australia anymore. What identity do we have then?

Edited by Rhino-ACT

There's a time and a place. The right time is not on live television. Other than that it's acceptable. Imagine the girls describing a team as cock and balls or something like that. People would be like wtf lol

I guess i was more talking in general in my last post, since i didn't actually see that footage.

But if it was a female dominated sport like netball and somehow males were forming a team in the same league, I could imagine some kind of joke about being the team with balls or something and i can imagine it not causing an uproar.

It's a joke that references the musical Grease, as well as the movie Kill Bill. Good enough reason to make the joke imo.

I do however agree that it was a mistake on his part, as the people and media of this country crap on about "Aussie larrikins" all day, yet are renown for being unable to take a joke.

neither of these are the reason he made the joke.

Kill Bill used it to paint a portrait of a character you wanted to see killed. Grease was filmed in the 70s, and the context of the line in the movie, its about the guys car getting chicks, not a chicks car.

I'm well aware of that, and he was using the pop-culture reference as a pun of a sort. The fact that Grease and Kill Bill used it in a slightly different context doesn't negate its value as a joke.

The pussy wagon only lasted 16 laps before being ran into a barrier.

external.jpg

They can't drive on the street, why would you let them drive on a race track?

Lol, harsh. I guess a shade under 10% of the race completed isn't too bad for a professional driver... :Drugs:

So everyone knows the car was a PR exercise. Everyone. Presumably they want more female viewership. This guy threw a huge spanner in the works for sure. The media have all focused solely on the moral/PC aspect of what he said but the reality is they're missing the point. He's probably managed to f**k up the entire exercise!

Anyway, from my experiences trying to get these things round Bathurst on iRacing (a few v8 drivers run it so I assume it's pretty accurate), I'm not at all surprised. f**king weird and difficult cars to drive. 1km/h over the limit round a corner and it's just understeer city. 1 hair too much on the throttle and fishtailing. I've put it into the wall far too often. f**king live axles, give me the GT3 cars any day.

Edited by Skepticism

The pussy wagon only lasted 16 laps before being ran into a barrier.

external.jpg

They can't drive on the street, why would you let them drive on a race track?

According to the official results, they finished 21st, above 5 other driver teams and completed 121 laps. only two of those teams completed more laps but registered a DNF.

http://www.v8supercars.com.au/championship/2015-v8-supercars-championship/supercheap-auto-bathurst-1000/sessions/championship/race-25

not sure how the girls recovered from that prang, do the teams have a spare car?

To be fair, I believe they were the first to arrive at that corner after one of the Volvo's dropped a crap load of fluid after an engine failure. Could've been anyone really.

And yes, the team replaced a crap load of components and worked a minor miracle to get that car out again, so they could complete the minimum laps required to be classified, kudos to them!

In terms of the comment, press conference probably not the best time and place to use it. Apparently Reynolds spent a lot of time with the girls during the week helping them to prepare so it wasn't out of dis-respect, he just didn't engage his brain before engaging his mouth.

The fine was a ridiculous over-reaction which will serve nothing more than to alienate that team, will the Super Girls team get that $25k, I don't think so.

What would've been much more constructive was to have Dave, Renee and Simona at a press conference together so Dave could've made a public apology to them.

$25,000 seemed like an outrageous fine for what he said, like sure it was a little much to be said but that kind of fine? wow...

Especially since what he said actually really is a car and he didnt just make it up himself.

if you were spouting stupid shit that offended your bosses potential market, you'd probably be reprimanded too.

That's the problem, he wasn't reprimanded, he was fined which serves nothing more than putting funds into someones account.

if you dont think a fine for breaking a rule is not some form of punishment then I dont know what to tell you.

• Upvote 1

I think the $25k should of went towards something that relates to the fine..

Which has me thinking where does the 25k go?

Fabbing up blast pipes for all the V8 supercars? Oh, wait...

do NRL player fines go to glassing-prevention foundations or domestic violence orgs?

^^^^It's pretty straight forward really, if V8SC were serious that what he said was defamatory or ill conceived a genuine "reprimand" would've been a loss of championship points, suspend him for a round or a suspended penalty of some sort if he re-offends. Something along those lines.

A fine is nothing more than an opportunistic way of transferring funds, plus he can afford $25k like the average person can afford a $300 fine of some sort, just annoying, nothing more.

The crucial failure was that V8SC didn't even organise another press conference (because the original comment was made in a press conference) to allow Dave to apologise to the girls for everyone to see. Then the girls could've decided if they accepted his apology or not on public tv for everyone to see. The relationship he has with the girls leads me to believe they would've accepted (which is probably why he made the comment in the first place) then everyone could've moved on with a proper outcome. Too late for that now.

I hope I'm wrong but I feel Davids real "reprimand" will come when Prodrive decide how they are going to deal with this as they stated they didn't want to disrupt the race weekend and would talk about it this week. Time will tell.