Sign in to follow this  
Brado_s13

Turbo opinion

Im nearly at the end of my sr2.2det build and im stuck between two turbo choices gtx2871 .63 external gated or gtx3071 .64 external also im wanting the 420+ hp margin, im leaning more towards the 2871r, just seeing what people think or can give any advice/info.

gtx3071 twin scroll for best response for that power level, best set up but also the most expensive.

Yeah, for a long time the 2871r hasn't been considered a great turbo for a 1998cc SR, so it would be a terrible choice for a stroker 2.2.

for a 420HP power level your best bet really is the 3071R, what kind of driving is the car going to be doing most?

just a street car for the time being but then will be weekend track.

Apparently going tbe bigger 3071r will make the boost come on at like 4500 is this true?

The gtx2871 will it make the 420hp?

Well I was running a GT3071 0.63 on my built SR20. Good all round choice of turbo and I'd recommend it to achieve your power levels.

Running Tomei 260 Procams (with no VCT) I was hitting fullboost 22psi by 4200 and made 290rwks on pump 98.

Should get you your power target with the extra displacement and less lag.

Yes, because they have the same compressor wheel (71mm)

You'd be silly to go with the 2871 though because the compressor's just too bloody big relative to the turbine, meaning it's less efficient

If you're running 2.2 I'm guessing you've got the budget to stretch to a nice twin-scroll setup, something like an EFR7163 might well work out cheaper than the equivalent Garrett as it's internally gated and you can get bolt on manifold and downpipe from full race

Edited by Skepticism

From all the research ive been doing lately the efr's are killing the gtx all over the map, and massive difference in mid range and tangient response in favour to the efr. I was comparing a gtx3067 and a efr 6758 though...

and also 99% of the efr failures are the first of the line designs, efr are trying newer things where garret have been using pretty much the same stuff for years. if you have a look years ago when garret first started their line im sure you'll find a lot of failures

Yeah that was the very first batch. They were having trouble with treating the turbines as they cooled down and the original process weakened them. Something like that.

No exhaust projectiles anymore!